Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle DX FCC?

I tried really hard, but I still couldn't find the DX in the FCC database.

Has anyone been able to figure out the FCC code for the DX? Either through a screenshot or a quick hands-on?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I spent about half an hour trying to decipher this photo with no success:
http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimage...-kindle-dx.jpg

If you zoom in close, it looks like "_K3-345_" but I tried various permutations of that FCC ID in the search and came up with nothing. In fact, the only think I'm really sure of is "_K_-34__"
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have good eyes, sirbruce.

Alas, I still couldn't find anything. What's strange is that both, Kindle 1 and Kindle 2, had their FCC ID written in the user guide.

Kindle 1: UUU-L7E20070323
Kindle 2: WI5-1210

But nothing in the Kindle DX guide so far...

Btw, Amazon uses Delaware shell companies for their registrations... just to let you know.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
question about the FCC database. Are unapproved or pending devices listed?

I ask because I assume the production version is going to be a bit different from what was released to viewing yesterday. And it will be a difference that could affect the approval.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
question about the FCC database. Are unapproved or pending devices listed?
I am not sure. But if the DX is still pending, isn't it kinda risky for Amazon to state that it'll be released this summer?
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I am not sure. But if the DX is still pending, isn't it kinda risky for Amazon to state that it'll be released this summer?
Thanks, and sure it's potentially risky but that was why I asked about devices with preliminary approval based on the current pre-production units. My thought is the glass-substrate display, which was apparently shown at the conference, make no sense what-so-ever in the targeted student market, so, my guess is approval might be pending review of the final production units using plastic-substrate displays.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch

Hmmm. Let's see, if it was still pending, do you think Amazon would nevertheless have ordered a first batch for mass-production? If they did, they are taking a huge risk that the FCC finds something faulty in the design. But if they did not, question is, would they still be able to deliver the first ordered batch in time? Summer is close...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as a guide, the K2 FCC stuff wasn't even approved until January something.

Update: Well something's wrong with their search now because it can't even find the Kindle 2 even thought it was working earlier.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Hmmm. Let's see, if it was still pending, do you think Amazon would nevertheless have ordered a first batch for mass-production? If they did, they are taking a huge risk that the FCC finds something faulty in the design. But if they did not, question is, would they still be able to deliver the first ordered batch in time? Summer is close...
I'm not an expert, but from what I gather you just have a certified independent lab test the stuff and submit the paperwork to the FCC and they just rubberstamp it. Sometimes the FCC asks some questions if the paperwork isn't clear. But you generally know in advance that something is going to pass because you've already tested it.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
yeah, that is the question for sure. Something which came to mind when conference was announced, was the whole thing felt rushed. I wonder if the Amazon was really trying to fend of the competitors here by announcing early even if final FCC approval has not been given.

It might be safe enough though if the internal components are the same as the K2, and they very well could be, except for like I mentioned, the battery and potentially the plastic based display.

Once was a time that the FCC was cracking down on those evil system builders who dared not have the systems they are building FCC approved...every component in a system might have been FCC approved only their use in that case-combo was not. So, assuming something similar here makes the announcement a pretty safe bet approval will awarded easily enough. Still as you mention, just the smallest component could be enough if something is borderline.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch

Update: FCC entry for the Kindle DX is now online. ID: W2R-0610

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...%27W2R-0610%27
Old 06-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

Yeah, clearly a different ID from the one in the promotional pictures.