Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
olivaresfelipe
olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy K4NT won't go into USB Dowloader mode :(

Hi, so I bought a non-responsive K4NT (bricked?) from Ebay; thought I could get it back to life by hard-resetting it (holding Power button for 20+ secs). Unfortunately that did not work.

So, I pulled my Kubrick Live CD and cannot get the unit to go into USB Downloader mode (holding Power button, waiting for led to turn off, pressing D-pad down-button, releasing Power button, releasing D-pad button) but nothing either. Kubrick keeps waiting for my device to be ready.

The led light does turn on and does turn off when I hold the Power button for 20+ secs.

Is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks!
olivaresfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
olivaresfelipe
olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.olivaresfelipe seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

... did not mention it but I am booting Kubrick from a Macbook late 2012.. while USB ports are 3.0, I've flashed the firmware of other K4NTs I've had using the computer so don't think the issue would be the computer and/or USB ports.

Another thing is that when I plug it to my Mac, Kindle won't mount (then again, it's frozen, thus in any case won't go into USB storage mode).
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Questions such as this belong in the dev forum, to where I'm now moving it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I had the same just a few days ago! However my Kindle was working at that time and I wanted just to wipe internal settings.
So what I did and how did I resolve:
1) On my laptop there are 2 USB ports, one of them turned out to be faulty. It can handle a USB mouse receiver easily, but some USB sticks and Kindle can't mount.
2) Since I use Kubrick from a stick, one port is always busy (and the stick must stay in the port in order Kubrick to work as it should).
3) So I used good port for Kubrick first, because Kubrick did not boot from bad port.
4) Booted from Kubrick, tried to get Kindle into this mode in bad port, no success.
5) Then in Windows I just tried plugging usb stick and Kindle to this bad port - they didn't mount as usually. However, after some playing with the port, Kubrick was able to boot from bad port and worked perfectly then, however Kinlde couldn't mount still.
6) So I used now good port for Kindle, and bad port for Kubrick. After that Kubrick was able to find Kindle straight a way!

So my suggestion for you is to try mounting some usb sticks with the port you were using for Kindle to see if you can start Kubrick from it, and use the port you used for Kubrick for Kindle. Or use a (powered) USB hub in your port that you used to mount Kubrick. Or boot to Kubrick from a CD/DVD and use the working USB for Kindle.

Good luck!

Last edited by mergen3107; 05-21-2017 at 02:48 PM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
olivaresfelipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
I had the same just a few days ago! However my Kindle was working at that time and I wanted just to wipe internal settings.
So what I did and how did I resolve:
1) On my laptop there are 2 USB ports, one of them turned out to be faulty. It can handle a USB mouse receiver easily, but some USB sticks and Kindle can't mount.
2) Since I use Kubrick from a stick, one port is always busy (and the stick must stay in the port in order Kubrick to work as it should).
3) So I used good port for Kubrick first, because Kubrick did not boot from bad port.
4) Booted from Kubrick, tried to get Kindle into this mode in bad port, no success.
5) Then in Windows I just tried plugging usb stick and Kindle to this bad port - they didn't mount as usually. However, after some playing with the port, Kubrick was able to boot from bad port and worked perfectly then, however Kinlde couldn't mount still.
6) So I used now good port for Kindle, and bad port for Kubrick. After that Kubrick was able to find Kindle straight a way!

So my suggestion for you is to try mounting some usb sticks with the port you were using for Kindle to see if you can start Kubrick from it, and use the port you used for Kubrick for Kindle. Or use a (powered) USB hub in your port that you used to mount Kubrick. Or boot to Kubrick from a CD/DVD and use the working USB for Kindle.

Good luck!
Thanks but did not work ; I'm running Kubrick from the LiveCD on a Macbook Pro 2012. Macbook has two available USB ports and neither can get my Kindle to go into USB Downloader mode. For what is worth, I've used this same Mac before to flash the firmware of other K4NT kindles without any issues.

Last edited by olivaresfelipe; 05-28-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
Advert