Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #166
jcg.
jcg. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I too like reading books on my kindle. The point is, as a display for a e.g. R-Pi it is close to the bottom of the price list when you consider that it comes with a built in wifi card. Basically, at $80, it beats just about every display ive seen people posting about and on top of it all it is e-ink. Pixel qi is nice, but theres no way to connect and it costs more than many netbooks. Also, to be crystal clear, certainly dont go anywhere near the 3G chip, unless to use the extra core that is rumored to be there. Trying to siphon free whispernet access would be incredibly foolish.

It would be nice if there was a way to meld the two systems together more seamlessly (less seamfully? both sound wrong) in such a way that screens, input devices, storage, processing resources are available equally distributed across all devices on the network. In other words to make all the systems behave as one system with many parts...
jcg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #167
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
"Rumored" it may be, but that rumor was started by the manufacturer of the chip the A-Data modem/radio is built on.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tools_Index#Hardware
Then click the "3G processor" link to read the "rumor" yourself.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #168
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg. View Post
It would be nice if there was a way to meld the two systems together more seamlessly (less seamfully? both sound wrong) in such a way that screens, input devices, storage, processing resources are available equally distributed across all devices on the network. In other words to make all the systems behave as one system with many parts...
There are many ways that you can write distributed programs to run on both of them. The simplest (for the programmer) way is called "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, Mysql, Perl/Python/PHP). You would need to install a web server and some other apps on the RasPi (or on the kindle) depending on which way you want to do it.

Or for a much more lightweight installation, you can write pieces of an app in C to run on both devices and communicate over USB. You are limited only by your imagination and the effort you are willing to dedicate to learn how to do it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #169
jcg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
There are many ways that you can write distributed programs to run on both of them. The simplest (for the programmer) way is called "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, Mysql, Perl/Python/PHP). You would need to install a web server and some other apps on the RasPi (or on the kindle) depending on which way you want to do it.

Or for a much more lightweight installation, you can write pieces of an app in C to run on both devices and communicate over USB. You are limited only by your imagination and the effort you are willing to dedicate to learn how to do it.
I really like this idea! Maybe you could use something like a canvas element to just do all the ui in the browser. I was referring more to an operating-system level approach, where instead of building a thing on top of two separate operating systems, you have one operating system running on multiple devices. Something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distrib...erating_system, and http://lwn.net/Articles/481055/.

@knc1 - My apologies, rumor wasn't the right word. It was late, I was posting from my phone, and my comment was more to illustrate the fact (as noted in the lwn article linked above) that ARM systems are built to run on one core using the other chips as peripherals, rather than treating resources sensibly. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #170
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really like this idea! Maybe you could use something like a canvas element to just do all the ui in the browser.
That is what AJAX programming is all about!
Quote:
ARM systems are built to run on one core using the other chips as peripherals, rather than treating resources sensibly. Thanks for the link.
Unless your ARM system has a multicore CPU like the Tegra 3. It is the design of individual applications that determines how well (or if) they can use mutliple cores. Many (most?) apps are not very good at multicore processing. But there is no reason for YOU to be limited to that. You CAN write distributed apps that use multiple cores (or run on different operating systems on different internetworked computers). Personally, I have written C distributed apps that maintained synchronization via UDP network packets, with each having their own copy of the database to support network-parallel lookups. Each computer on the distributed network was tasked with their own portion of the lookup task, giving a linear speed increase.

There are books written on the subject, but you can design your own from scratch -- I recommend reading some of the books first though...

For the LAMP approach, try your hand at some AJAX programming (part of the code runs on the web server and part of it on the web browser)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-20-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #171
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
In addition to a good selection of general purpose "cluster managers", there are also specialized applications.

As in: distcc
Which allows our little 300Mhz emulated ARMv6 build environment to call on the power of an entire array of "big boxes" to do the heavy lifting.

I am not currently using that feature, although I could, I have three cores sitting in their idle loop while a build is running in the emulated ARM environment.

And Twobob - who probably has a box with one of those Sparc chips with 8 cores and each of those cores being 8-way hyper-threaded (think: 64 cores) for his "studio" machine ...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #172
jcg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That is what AJAX programming is all about!

For the LAMP approach, try your had at some AJAX programming (part of the code runs on the web server and part of it on the web browser)...
Yeah, this is actually starting to look remotely possible... If you can't tell I'm not that experienced and writing heterogeneous C programs is waay above me. However, I've been mucking around with JS (currently reading Crockford's _JavaScript: The Good Parts_) and learning Clojure. It seems one could just write everything in Clojure, running the server side on JVM and compiling client code to minified JS using the Google tools. Could even take advantage of the R-Pi GPU (and any other OpenGL capable hardware that might be present) for things that need to happen fast by doing GPGPU with WebGL (it is just OpenGL ES 2.0). Basically, the architecture would be a whole lot of JVM servers clustered together with a JS client interface...

However, it won't likely be fast...

EDIT: Actually, you could flip that architecture around, and have one JVM server with a normal web page doing parasitic computing on the GPU via the browser of each client... TFLOP computer controlled by a Kindle. That computer would only be good for a few (very) embarrassingly parallel problems, but it would be powerful.

Last edited by jcg.; 07-20-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 08-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #173
sohelmk
sohelmk doesn't littersohelmk doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Error: Kindle 3 wifi : TLS support was not compiled in

Hi,
Can someone please help, i just tried running kvnc viewer, it gives following error. I am using vino vnc server on ubuntu 12.04. BTW i was able to connect with another vnc client on kindle [http://wifi001.com/wifi/index.en.jsp]

[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password *** 192.168.0.14:0 &
[root@kindle root]# 04/08/2012 17:12:28 VNC server supports protocol version 3.7 (viewer 3.8)
04/08/2012 17:12:28 We have 2 security types to read
04/08/2012 17:12:28 0) Received security type 18
04/08/2012 17:12:28 Selecting security type 18 (0/2 in the list)
04/08/2012 17:12:28 1) Received security type 2
04/08/2012 17:12:28 Selected Security Scheme 18
04/08/2012 17:12:28 TLS support was not compiled in

Thanks a lot,
Sohel
sohelmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #174
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohelmk View Post
Hi,
Can someone please help, i just tried running kvnc viewer, it gives following error.
04/08/2012 17:12:28 TLS support was not compiled in
As I understand how this stuff works at this time (having not worked on network security issues for awhile), your server is configured to require the more secure TLS protocol that prevents MITM ("Man-In-The-Middle") attacks in the internet traffic, and to not fallback to SSL if a client program does not support TLS.

This particular vnc client does not support TLS because the TLS build options were left out (perhaps to make it smaller or faster). You server is refusing to fallback to the less secure SSL, so the VNC client reports the TLS problem and quits.

The other vnc client apparently has TLS support compiled in, so it works.

If you really WANT to use a vnc client that does not support TLS, then you need to configure your vnc server to allow less-secure SSL connections.

In some cases, a software or hardware firewall could also be preventing SSL traffic.

At least, that is how I understand it at this time. Here is some info defining SSL/TLS/SSH protocols:
http://webhostingtop.org/blog/420-ssl-tsl-ssh

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #175
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, the kvncviewer should be considered mainly in trusted environments. I didn't bother to check whether libvncviewer supports SSL.

@sohelmk: So if you consider your network secure (i.e. home Wifi, USB connection), reconfigure your VNC server to support plain unencrypted connections. May I ask what VNC server you are using?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #176
sohelmk

I am using vino-server on ubuntu. [http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...ome/vino.html]
Unfortunately I do not see any option to reduce security there. I copied its command line options below.

Can i compile the client to support ssl-tls? [remove this flag? : --without-gnutls --without-client-tls]

Vino-server
/usr/lib/vino$ ./vino-server --help-all
Usage:
vino-server [OPTION...] - VNC Server for GNOME

Help Options:
-h, --help Show help options
--help-all Show all help options
--help-gtk Show GTK+ Options
--help-sm-client Show session management options

GTK+ Options
--class=CLASS Program class as used by the window manager
--name=NAME Program name as used by the window manager
--gtk-module=MODULES Load additional GTK+ modules
--g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal

Session management options:
--sm-client-disable Disable connection to session manager
--sm-client-state-file=FILE Specify file containing saved configuration
--sm-client-id=ID Specify session management ID

Thanks,
Sohel
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #177
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, vino is configured via gconf, I think (I got this idea from a fast read of this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers). And there should be a program "vino-preferences". But I can't really help here, no experiences with vino and a strong aversion against big desktop environments on my side... (The obvious "solution", though maybe not for you, would be to use x11vnc for that task. But I do well understand that you'd like to have it integrated with your desktop...)
Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #178
sohelmk

Smile x11vnc worked! navigation issues

Thanks a lot,
Yes it worked with x11vnc!

Great work Hawhill ! its really useful.

I am still struggling to navigate on smaller kindle screen, need to read on what keyboard shortcuts are provided.

btw its a great and quick solution to read pdfs (or anything on monitor) as well.

Thanks again,
Sohel
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #179
hawhill
Wizard

Thank you very much for that feedback! It's always nice when other people can make some use of what I create during "recreation period", as a hobby. So the joy is on my side, too :-)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #180
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
is anyone feeling clever and generous enough to make this work on a kindle 4 (8bpp)? cheers
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc