Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Hopi
Edge User

External Speaker

Can't find a thread about this. So I'm curious if anybody is using an external speaker (mini or otherwise) connected to the headphone jack. Will you please describe the make/brand of the speaker and your experience speaker-wise and eDGe-wise.

Looking forward to your posts.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

I've only used the Creative D100 external Bluetooth stereo speakers with my eDGe and these work and sound great (for smallish portable speakers).

Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I've used portable speakers with the edge. I took the edge on a trip and used it as my alarm clock/radio.
I picked up these in a closeout store, they work decently. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1161wt_905

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks for the info Boris. I have a cheaper bluetooth speaker coming. I'll see how it will fare.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks Cheyenne. I've toyed with the idea of buying a speaker with cable but the reviews for the cheap ones say that the cables are short so the speakers will be permanently located on one side of the eDGe which I think will be quite unwieldy when I have to move things (including the edge) around on my desk. So I'm trying a bluetooth speaker that is GBP 18.

Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
sarah11918
Edge User

We have these to go with our Macs for watching movies etc: http://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Acoustic.../dp/B003JTHO3U

I just tested them and nearly blew my ears out. Very good sound. They require a USB connection in addition to the headphone connection, but all the cables are so long they don't really get in the way of anything.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
Thanks Cheyenne. I've toyed with the idea of buying a speaker with cable but the reviews for the cheap ones say that the cables are short so the speakers will be permanently located on one side of the eDGe which I think will be quite unwieldy when I have to move things (including the edge) around on my desk. So I'm trying a bluetooth speaker that is GBP 18.
The connection cable on this pair is 38 inches long, plus it can be replaced since it plugs into the speaker and the device. I have a cable a little over 5 feet that I picked up at radio shack to digitalize music from CD that works fine.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Leslie
Edge User

I plug mine into my car stereo system using a casette tape player adapter.

This was a big factor in my decision to buy the edge - bringing my music with me. Yeah, I have an MP3 player, but, that's all it does -- play MP3s..

Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks all for what you shared.

I have this bluetooth speaker from Amazon for a week now so I think I better give an update:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veho-VSS-006...sr=1-1-catcorr

The speaker is surprisingly small. 40mm diameter, 50mm high. But it is loud. The sound quality will probably disappoint those who are used to Bose or other equivalent high-priced speakers because it gets somewhat tinny at high volumes. But for the price (and the fact that it is bluetooth) and since I only use it at the office when I have to keep myself awake when pulling off all-nighters, I'm quite satisfied with it. I initially had a problem pairing it with the eDGe but had no trouble it being recognised. The instructions provided with the unit are very sparse but I think you have to charge the speaker for the full 4 hours (as instructed) before you attempt to pair it with the eDGe. After the first day, I did not anymore have trouble with it. The 10-meter range is quite spot on since I tried carrying it out of the office into the hallway and it's still going strong within that range.

The Amazon uk page does not contain customer reviews but the US page does, in case anyone is interested.