Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
alaya129
alaya129 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/Axim X50V
Unhappy Even unbricking reset is not working !!!

After some changes to main.xml , my reader can't start , it stops at "Starting up" screen . I have tried soft reset , hard reset , even unbricking reset , but "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again." does not appear , only "Starting up" screen" !!!

Is my reader totaly dead ?!!!!

I really need somebody's help
alaya129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I also had a major disaster with my Sony Reader and ended up in a similar position. Luckily, I had never installed the official Sony firmware update. When I hooked up my Reader to my Windows laptop and started the Connect software, I was able to start that process and it restored function to my device. It even preserved all my files.

If you've already updated, there is a way to trick the reader. It's briefly described in Post #13 of the following thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10902

Good luck!
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Keep trying. Ten resets should do the trick.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
alaya129

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Keep trying. Ten resets should do the trick.
Thanks for reponse , but I have tried more than 40 times and it seems no use.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That message "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again." makes it sound like you need to feed it a firmware file and let it "update" again. It may think it's stuck in the middle of an update.

If that's what it is, you'll need an update that it thinks is newer than whatever it has on it now, you can convince it that any firmware version (even the original one) is newer by following the steps that MobileReader each posted a while back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by each
Unzip the firmware updater, find info about updateVersion checking from this file: ../eBookUpdater/scripts/eBookUpdaterMain.xml

Wow, use txt editor to open ../assets/updaterAssets/PRSVersion.dat, here is the version info - "100201300"

Then change this number to 100201301 or even higher, it doesn't matter.
I hope that helps, or at least gets you closer.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
That message "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again." makes it sound like you need to feed it a firmware file and let it "update" again. It may think it's stuck in the middle of an update.

If that's what it is, you'll need an update that it thinks is newer than whatever it has on it now, you can convince it that any firmware version (even the original one) is newer by following the steps that MobileReader each posted a while back:
I hope that helps, or at least gets you closer.
Just to make it a little bit more clear:

1: Download the original PRS500 updater from Sony
2: Execute this PRS500 updater and click "ok" to proceed. The installer will unpack the installation files.
3: Go to the following location on your disk: C:\Documents and Settings\[YOURUSERNAME]\Local Settings\Temp\
and copy the folder WZSE0.TMP and paste it on your desktop
4: Now you can close the PRS500 updater.
5: Go to \WZSE0.TMP\eBookUpdater\assets\updaterAssets\ on your desktop and open the file PRSVersion.dat with notepad.
6: Change 100201300 into 100201301 and save it.
7: Connect your Reader to the USB and press the reset button on the back. Don't forget to switch it back on. Wait until the Reader goes in to USB mode (wait for the USB connector icon on the Reader's screen).
8: Now execute PRS-500 Updater.exe in \WZSE0.TMP\ on your desktop
9: Follow the steps of the updater and it should upgrade your Reader and unbrick it.

I bricked mine many times and this works everytime.

Goodluck!

Last edited by diabloNL; 05-28-2007 at 01:05 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks, diabloNL, I haven't done this particular operation, so I'm a bit hazy on the details. I was hoping someone would have clearer instructions to offer.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
alaya129

I tried what you said , but the update button is disabled (I have waited for 20 minutes).

here is a picture .

thank you all the same
Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaya129
I tried what you said , but the update button is disabled (I have waited for 20 minutes).

here is a picture .

thank you all the same
So you connected the Reader to your USB and pressed the reset button. And after that you switched it on. Please confirm that the orange light on the Reader is blinking when turning it back on.

Start the updater when the reader shows the USB plug on the screen. Not before!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
alaya129

Yes , I have done what you said , and the orange LED is blinking .

The update button rests disabled . . .

I think the reader's usb service is not start .
Old 05-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Yes , I have done what you said , and the orange LED is blinking .

The update button rests disabled . . .

I think the reader's usb service is not start .
So there doesn't appear a USB connector in the middle of your screen after like 4 minutes or so?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
alaya129

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
So there doesn't appear a USB connector in the middle of your screen after like 4 minutes or so?

No , only the "Starting up ..." message . (I wait 10 minutes)
Old 05-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
No , only the "Starting up ..." message . (I wait 10 minutes)

Very strange. Let's try the 10 times reset method one more time. I changed the steps a bit because the one in the wiki can be confusing and causing the procedure not to work.

1. Use a paper clip or pin to depress the reset button in the small hole on the back of the unit. Turn the unit on.
2. Wait until the "Starting up..." page is displayed for a few seconds and you see the orange LED blinking. Just count like 3 to 4 sec. from the moment you see the LED blinking.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 ten times.
4. On the tenth reset let the Reader boot and after a few minutes the message "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again." will be displayed.
5. Connect the USB cable and the device will automatically go into recovery ("Updating firmware now...") mode.
6. Flash the device with the original PRS500 updater.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
alaya129

I tried again (15 resets), but there is no change. Really weird .

Before it was bricked , I had rolled back the OS use universal flasher and all the changes were made by it .

But I don't think that's the problem of flasher.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
I tried again (15 resets), but there is no change. Really weird .

Before it was bricked , I had rolled back the OS use universal flasher and all the changes were made by it .

But I don't think that's the problem of flasher.
Is your battery charged enough? Maybe he doesn't have enough charge to boot further. Otherwise try it again with the charger connected to the Reader.

BTW how did you rolled back the OS exactly?