Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Metadata tags idea

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place, so if this needs to be moved or deleted, please do so.
I'm having a great time with Calibre. It's helping to get my computer organized. I have books all over the place.
I'm adding a tremendous number of books to my library from a wide variety of sources. I like an up to date, accurate, library so when I add a book, I'm updating the metadata as I go along. Sometimes the books themselves have good metadata, and sometimes they don't. On the edit metadata screen I love using the 'recycle' buttons to clear the fields for series, published, date, and ID's. With that in mind, would it be possible to have the same thing for the tags field? I'm putting my own tags on everything, and sometimes, the books come with so many tags, it can take a bit to get rid of them all. A button to empty the field would be very convenient.
Everyone is doing great making this a great product.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I agree a lot of tags are crap and a delete all button never hurts.
But usually I don't want to delete all tags, just most

I use a custom column (hierachy type) for my own tags and genres.

For you configuring calibre to not import tags with metadata might be the easiest solution. No need to hit button

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place, so if this needs to be moved or deleted, please do so.
I'm having a great time with Calibre. It's helping to get my computer organized. I have books all over the place.
I'm adding a tremendous number of books to my library from a wide variety of sources. I like an up to date, accurate, library so when I add a book, I'm updating the metadata as I go along. Sometimes the books themselves have good metadata, and sometimes they don't. On the edit metadata screen I love using the 'recycle' buttons to clear the fields for series, published, date, and ID's. With that in mind, would it be possible to have the same thing for the tags field? I'm putting my own tags on everything, and sometimes, the books come with so many tags, it can take a bit to get rid of them all. A button to empty the field would be very convenient.
Everyone is doing great making this a great product.
In the Tag Browser: Right-click on 'Tags' : Select 'Manage tags'

Now you see a summary count. You can select one or many: click the recycle icon on the LEFT... Gone
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I already have Calibre set to not import tags. I like my own. I like being able to use the tag functions in Calibre. When editing the metadata for a book, and you use the "set the meta data from a selected format" icon to load the metadata, you get all the tags and sometimes that can be quite a few tags. If you use the tag browser, you still have to go through with multiple clicks to get rid of all the tags. I like using the tag browser to get rid of certain tags from all books and it's great for applying specific tags to a book, but it's still a pain to get rid of all the tags for a single book.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click in the tags field, press Ctrl+A, Press delete -> all tags gone.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
Thank you both for the suggestions. I already have Calibre set to not import tags. I like my own. I like being able to use the tag functions in Calibre. When editing the metadata for a book, and you use the "set the meta data from a selected format" icon to load the metadata, you get all the tags and sometimes that can be quite a few tags. If you use the tag browser, you still have to go through with multiple clicks to get rid of all the tags. I like using the tag browser to get rid of certain tags from all books and it's great for applying specific tags to a book, but it's still a pain to get rid of all the tags for a single book.
Well I didn't even know what that button was for Thought it was for info. One lives and learns

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
toomuchreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Click in the tags field, press Ctrl+A, Press delete -> all tags gone.
I didn't realize that Ctrl+A would work in the tags field! Thanks. I so used to it highlighting/selecting more than what you expected. That will make things easier that's for sure. (Don't you just love those smileys!)
Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
toomuchreading
Groupie

Talking

Imagine my surprise when I went to download the new version of Calibre today and finding this line in the What's New listing:

• Edit metadata dialog: Add a clear tags button to remove all tags with a single click
I can't wait for the update to finish downloading and try it out! While the download is happening I just had to come here and say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone working on Calibre. Every one of you are great!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Another idea is to create a new column for your own tags and ignore the default tags field.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote