Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite & Kindle 3
Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine - Free Sampler for Kindle

Well here's something nice:

Amazon is thrilled to offer Kindle fantasy and science-fiction fans an exclusive free digest to the magazine that Stephen King calls "the best fiction magazine in America." Founded in 1949, Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine is the award-winning original publisher of such classics as Stephen King's Dark Tower, Daniel Keyes's Flowers for Algernon, and Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz.

This free exclusive digest includes: All nonfiction content: editor's recommendations, "Curiosities" (odd books of enduring interest), film reviews, book reviews, cartoons and humor, and "Coming Attractions" (highlights of each issue). One full story from the current full issue of the magazine. Short descriptions of the extended issue's remaining stories and "novelets."

If you are interested in reading the remainder of the stories and "novelets," subscribe to the extended edition.

WARNING: I'm not sure yet if you hit the Subscribe now with 1-click you'll indeed get the FREE version of the PAID FOR version...? The Buy current Issue is clearly marked $0.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref...SIN=B004ZFZCKY

Last edited by rogerVA; 08-02-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added to description
rogerVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
rogerVA
Connoisseur
rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.rogerVA can talk to the animals.

I would suggest to just download the free current issue, I'm fairly convinced the subscription option is a paid-for version. So check back every other month to download the latest.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
rogerVA
Connoisseur

ADMIN: would you please remove the SUBSCRIPTION in the title of this thread? I shouldn't have included that and don't want anybody to be misled! Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I checked, and after the 14-day trial period, you will be billed for $0.00. So as near as I can tell, this is indeed a subscription, but to a "sampler" version--you only get one full story, plus all the non-fiction content. But still, not bad for free!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
I checked, and after the 14-day trial period, you will be billed for $0.00. So as near as I can tell, this is indeed a subscription, but to a "sampler" version--you only get one full story, plus all the non-fiction content. But still, not bad for free!
That's the way I interpreted it, as well. I'm certainly not going to complain about one free short story delivered to my Kindle every month. Not one bit.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Not available to customers from Canada.

RakenFrackDoubleDangNashun...
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
rogerVA
Connoisseur

I was nervous I'd cause somebody to click and then have to pay.. so I was being overly cautious, perhaps. I'm nerdy enough where I love the non-fiction contents of F&SF and would subscribe for free for the reviews alone. Getting a story and all the Non-Fiction each month makes this a very worthy freebie for me. I'll subscribe at that link and report and problems.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
FYI - It's every other month (bimonthly).

Very nice deal! Thanks for posting.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
The first issue with the subscription is July/August 2011.

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/current.htm

The free story is what they call a "novelet," 12,874 words: The Ramshead Algorithm by KJ Kabza - "a twisty tale about reality and relations"

http://kjkabza.com/works.html
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
They canceled my Fictionwise multi-format subscription (I did get a refund, but still...), so now they only do a subscription for the Amazon Kindle. Thank you very not, Spilogate. If they had wanted to keep my business, they would have added a Kindle edition/subscription in addition to Fictionwise.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
This offer is also available on Amazon's UK site. If you want to take out a subscription it's 99p a month, or is that bi-monthly? I'm never too sure.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
They canceled my Fictionwise multi-format subscription (I did get a refund, but still...), so now they only do a subscription for the Amazon Kindle. Thank you very not, Spilogate. If they had wanted to keep my business, they would have added a Kindle edition/subscription in addition to Fictionwise.
Mine as well. But, I wait every few months for the huge discount coupons, then go buy the back issues of it and a few others...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a charge every month, but the magazine is delivered bi-monthly, so $1.98/issue.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Mine as well. But, I wait every few months for the huge discount coupons, then go buy the back issues of it and a few others...
Fictionwise doesn't let you renew subscriptions any more, but the Magazine of F & SF is the only one where they canceled existing subscriptions. The last issue sold at Fictionwise was January/February 2011. So now, instead of being able to read it natively on all of my ereaders, my only options are to read on a Kindle app, or (presumably strip the DRM and) convert it to my preferred format.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Fictionwise doesn't let you renew subscriptions any more, but the Magazine of F & SF is the only one where they canceled existing subscriptions. The last issue sold at Fictionwise was January/February 2011. So now, instead of being able to read it natively on all of my ereaders, my only options are to read on a Kindle app, or (presumably strip the DRM and) convert it to my preferred format.
I hadn't noticed that it stopped - I mainly got it for hubby and he hasn't mentioned it as missing.

I could get it on Kindle, I suppose (at higher cost), so long as I remember to archive it myself, since the issues can disappear from Kindle (some mags used to keep 7 issues, then some went to all, now some went -- without notice -- to only two).