Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
BeTePoK
Guru
BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
They are going to charge every man for not having a baby!

Oh, what a lovely country I'm living in!
Few days ago our government passed a bill according to which every man of 25-40 yrs old will be charged of 5% of his salary every month for not having a baby!
If the man is unable to have kids due to medical issues - he won't be charged.
After getting the first baby - the fee will be decreased to 50%, after the second baby - the government will give all monies back to father!
That is completely nuts...

Thanks God, the bill still isn't accepted...
BeTePoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Many European countries are worried about their negative population growth rates, but fining people (and that's basically what you're describing) for not having children seems unfair. Perhaps a system of rewards rather than punishments would be more palatable as a solution.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTePoK View Post
Oh, what a lovely country I'm living in!
Few days ago our government passed a bill according to which every man of 25-40 yrs old will be charged of 5% of his salary every month for not having a baby!
If the man is unable to have kids due to medical issues - he won't be charged.
After getting the first baby - the fee will be decreased to 50%, after the second baby - the government will give all monies back to father!
That is completely nuts...

Thanks God, the bill still isn't accepted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Many European countries are worried about their negative population growth rates, but fining people (and that's basically what you're describing) for not having children seems unfair. Perhaps a system of rewards rather than punishments would be more palatable as a solution.
Wait a moment you guys.
If I remember my science 101 correctly, it was the women having babies.
You know, flowers, bees ...

Kenny! Kenny! They are wrong on the net again. Hurry up! Chicken where are you?

Last edited by beppe; 05-02-2010 at 11:05 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
BeTePoK
Guru
BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Wait a moment you guys.

Yes, you are right. Men are going to be charged for not making women pregnant.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
BeTePoK
Guru

To be honest, our population decreased dramatically for the last 10 years. We've lost about half a million people, which is 5% of the total population. When I saw the numbers for the first time, I couldn't even believe! 5% drop in just 10 years! 200 years more - and our nation...oh Gog, we are not even a nation in full meaning of this word...just a little country between Russia and Poland...ok, we will just disappear...

Someone offered a reward system, but it was used before, and didn't help much, maybe just because of the amount been paid. Low standard of living, Chernobyl disaster affected too much (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster), poor economy and many other problems leave us not many chances. The average life interval is about 55 years, and our medicine freezed 20 years ago.

Saying other words, we are dying too quicky.
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
What if women just don't fancy you?

Not that it would apply to me; but I know this chap .....
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
BeTePoK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
What if women just don't fancy you?
Now this is the biggest argument against the bill. A lot of women, not men! don't want to have baby (career, money, too many troubles etc).

Also (like my friend said),

Quote:
This bill, if passed, could find your country in violation of some international human rights rules, and thus find itself being condemned. China has suffered the condemnation of human rights organisations for some of the ways it has implemented population restrictions to one child per family, which has lead to baby girls getting "thrown away" because the culture requires a SON to inherit from the parents, and to support them in old age (daughters being passed to the husband's family's responsibility).
Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I remember reading a story years ago concerning India and its problem of overpopulation - they were trying to bribe men into having vasectomies. The most successful incentive seemed to be offering a transistor radio.

Japan too is experiencing negative population growth - many professional couples are delaying parenthood, or choosing not to procreate. As I remember, Japan's government is increasing immigration quotas as a response.

In your case, I wonder if anyone has crunched the numbers: the size of the fine versus what it would cost to give birth and raise a child? I think in most societies, 5% of a salary is far less than the cost of parenthood.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mussolini did it in Italy. He wanted a big population for his "Empire". There were extra taxes for unmarried men, prizes and celebrations for fertile women.

It is still a subjects for jokes chez nous.

France gives substantial helps to big families.

In Quebec, families of my generation could be quite numerous. I have a friend that is the smallest of 20, all living. Twenty. One mother.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Wait a moment you guys.

Thanks beppe. I stand corrected.

What an educational place this is. You learn new things every day!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks beppe. I stand corrected.

What an educational place this is. You learn new things every day!
But it is you that spread benevolence and knowledge! Karma on your way
Old 05-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Wait, hoomin women have the babies?? I've seen couples drive away and the next day there's this wet, noisy, stinky thing they're carrying but I had no idea it was all the woman's fault. No wonder they're causing all the earthquakes.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
BeTePoK
Guru

As I said it before, men are going to be charged for not making women pregnant.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wait, hoomin women have the babies?? I've seen couples drive away and the next day there's this wet, noisy, stinky thing they're carrying but I had no idea it was all the woman's fault. No wonder they're causing all the earthquakes.
Herr vivaldirules, bitte!, if you just stopped scratching behind the right ear with your left paw ...
Old 05-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Shooooo! We've been doing that in the US for years. Just look at our income tax regulations. We also get charged for not getting married!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote