Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Jason Calacanis on the Apple tablet

Jason Calacanis publishes full details on the Apple tablet:

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...-tablet-666331

In terms of features, Calacanis notes that the tablet has an OLED screen; a solar pad for recharging on the back (the device is mainly battery-powered); is running on an iPhone OS variation; can run multiple apps at the same time; has thumb pads on each side (for mouse gestures) and has fingerprint verification (up to 5 profiles can be registered on one device).

Most interestingly, he adds that the Apple tablet also has a HDTV tuner, a PVR and a chess game built-in; has a back camera and front camera and has a wireless keyboard and monitor connection for external monitors
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Chess is easy --- it's been a part of NeXTstep since before version 1.0 (a 3D front-end for GNUchess).

The solar pad for re-charging seems unlikely (unless it were detachable).

I don't see how the thing is going to have enough memory for a PVR to make sense (though using the tablet to control an AppleTV is obvious).

Wireless monitor connection?!? what technology is being used for that? I could see Apple resurrecting nxHosting --- that would work over WiFi.

Wireless keyboard is easy --- just add Bluetooth.

I don't see why the number of profiles would be limited though.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
So you need a cell phone plan? Fail! If I could just use wi-fi like with my Touch, I would get this as a netbook replacement since I teach with my netbook and my big annoyance with it is low battery life. An instant-on oversized Touch would be much better for what I use it for. But if it's going to cost that much and I will need a cell phone plan, nope.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So you need a cell phone plan? Fail! If I could just use wi-fi like with my Touch, I would get this as a netbook replacement since I teach with my netbook and my big annoyance with it is low battery life. An instant-on oversized Touch would be much better for what I use it for. But if it's going to cost that much and I will need a cell phone plan, nope.
Agreed. I'd be happy to purchase the product even at the prices quoted if it's something i think I'll use. But no way will I also pay for a monthly contract - especially as we've just spent the last year getting rid of as many direct debits as poss. Hope this is not the case, we'll see very soon.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:38 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Yeah, they updated it saying it was hoax. But "the Farmville app is sick" part is hilarious.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Probably because 5 profiles would allow most/all members of an average American family to share one device. Beyond that... buy two!

I'm glad to hear of biometric ID being used (if it's true)... much more secure than passwords.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aren't most fingerprint pads easily spoofed w/ a bit of gelatin?

And of course, there's always the nightmare scenario of dismembered bodies envisioned by Timothy Zahn in his novel _Blackcollar_...

William
Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Calcanis was trolling...he was on Twitter last night being his usual know-it-all self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post

William
DRM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard

kjk said (re: limited no. of profiles):

>DRM.

_That_ makes sense.