Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
One Froggy Evening

One of the silliest cartoons ever made (and one of the most perfect). It has been named as a "culturally significant American film" by the US Film Preservation Board.

Gee .... who would have thought it .... silliness as culturally significant. Oh, yeah ... me!!

So, since I "own" this thread (not my idea, but I'm going with it for purposes of this post), anyone who posts to this thread is charged with the following task. Find at least one culturally significant item (as determined by some even marginally credible national association), from whatever culture you happen to belong to, that is also extremely "silly."

Thank you. And remember .... if you can't provide me with additional examples of culturally significant silliness, then no posting in this thread. So says the "owner" of the thread.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Silliness? Walks? Together? (Culturally significant because of its impact on comedy and comedians for decades after its first broadcast).

I give you (in all seriousness) Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks Sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

Yours

Major George Hummingbird Maffik (Mrs)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
How about some Extreme Morris Dancing :

I like to think of them as two ex-bankers trying to earn an honest crust.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-25-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
If it's culture you want, then your wish is my command:

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I think that Vivaldi is a silly cultural icon...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Are you talking about the composer, the music, or the talking puppy?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a composer?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
If it's culture you want, then your wish is my command:

Lovely bit of silliness ... but what organization has declared it to be culturally significant.

Oh, and no making up one .... has to be real.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Silliness? Walks? Together? (Culturally significant because of its impact on comedy and comedians for decades after its first broadcast).

I give you (in all seriousness) Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks Sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

Yours

Major George Hummingbird Maffik (Mrs)
I'm willing to grant you that Monty Python (and all members of same) is very likely culturally significant, but have they been declared so by the British Government?

This is intended to be harder than it may look.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
However, what you think is not what is required. Please read the original post (which I "own" thanks to the proclamation of a certain ProfJulie. Yes, I think the idea bites major monky butt, however, that's not the point.

So, no deviation ... silliness that has been declared as culturally significant (given some major award will also do) by an official organization.

I intend to twist the silliness tag on its head here. This thread is a serious discussion of extreme silliness.

I'm simply using the tag to keep out the people whose intellect never expanded beyond learning their ABCs.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does this count?

In the south, lots of women wear pouffy spring hats and whitest white shoes to church on Easter. (I've been guilty a time or two )

I declare it culturally significant, because it is like the official start of spring dresses season, although you don't get to wear the white shoes again until Memorial Day.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
pshrynk

Bugger that! Party in Ricky's thread! Bring the ZCD's and the bladders onna stick!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Bugger that! Party in Ricky's thread! Bring the ZCD's and the bladders onna stick!
I like that idea better! Trying to be sensibly silly is trying.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Does this count?

In the south, lots of women wear pouffy spring hats and whitest white shoes to church on Easter. (I've been guilty a time or two )

I declare it culturally significant, because it is like the official start of spring dresses season, although you don't get to wear the white shoes again until Memorial Day.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I like that idea better! Trying to be sensibly silly is trying.
Nope, sorry .... official recognition only.

Pshrynk, be careful, you don't want to have a history of hijacking threads coming back to haunt you when you are pushing for a no-hijacking policy to placate Wolfie.

I don't care if it's hard. You don't want to try, then just stay out of the thread. If no one can come up with an officially honored bit of silliness, then I will simply consider most cultures to be sadly wanting in appreciation of silliness.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Another example, as long as I'm the only one who is going to come up with them. "Harvey" a play about a large invisible rabbit with a propensity to drink ... now there's some silliness for you .... won the Pulitzer Prize.

The film, which has more moments of extreme silliness than most people experience in one lifetime, also won several awards.

I haven't been able to find much official recognition of silliness in other cultures, so perhaps the appreciation of the cultural importance of silliness is limited to America ... which would explain why none of the Monty Python members have ever been knighted.