Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #1
tobias.wantzen
tobias.wantzen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon eInk Devices: Hidden Text Possible?

Hello,

there are images with text on them, which should be searchable, in my actual eBook. So I decided to embed the image, set all the image text as HTML text down under it, and hide that text with CSS:
Code:
p.hidden {
	color: #fff;
	visibility: hidden;
	font-size: 1px;
	line-height: 1px;
}
Within EPUB and all KF8 devices everything is fine. But the eInk doesn't work.

Is there any option to make this work? Or: Is there any better workaround, that is good enough for all devices?

Thanks
Tobias
tobias.wantzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
have you tried adding

display: none

Then you should not have to worry about setting font sizes and color and line height.

(it is better never to set color anywhere, to prevent conflict with the user's choice of colors.
I understand also, that Kindle devices will not honor line-height below 120%. I could be wrong about that though, you should check the Amazon current formatting guidelines)

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-20-2017 at 03:53 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias.wantzen View Post
Within EPUB and all KF8 devices everything is fine. But the eInk doesn't work.
There's plenty of eInk devices that support KF8. Perhaps you meant it doesn't work in the old mobi-format?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
tobias.wantzen

Yes, I meant the old MOBI. Kindle Previewer 3.9 displays everything fine. Kindle Previewer 2.94, Kindle DX shows the problems.

I tried display: none; and Kindle DX (Previewer 2.94) hides the text. What I couldn't test is the searchability, because it is not working correctly in my Previewer installations. I chose visibility: hidden; over display: none; because of searchability.

Tobias
Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
tobias.wantzen

BTW: Thanks for your suggestions!
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think "display: none", or "visibility: hidden" are supported in the mobi format. In fact, css isn't supported in the mobi format at all. Now that's not to say that the kindlegen conversion process can't massage certain css input into mobi-compliant markup, but I know of no mobi markup (which is essentially HTML 3.2) that will create hidden text that's still searchable. In all likelihood, "display: none" (as well as "visibilty: hidden") will simply cause the text to be left out of the mobi markup entirely after conversion. In short: I strongly suspect that invisible text that can still be searched is simply not possible in the older mobi-only format. But I could be wrong. Is an img tag's alt text searchable in mobi?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2017 at 11:28 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is an img tag's alt text searchable in mobi?
Based on my informal tests, img tag alt text is not searchable in EPUB and MOBI7/AZW3 (tested with ADE 1.7-4.5, Mobipocket Reader, the Kindle for PC app and my PW2.)
I don't think that there's any mainstream epub/mobi app out there that actually supports img tag alt attributes. (Alt attribute values might be read by DAISY compliant apps with TTS support.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Most Kindle books are delivered by Amazon in KFX format these days. Based on my testing with Kindle Previewer 3, in conversion to KFX hidden text and image alt text is discarded and so will be unavailable for searching or TTS.

Edit: I was wrong. I retested and found that the alt text for images is actually preserved in KFX. I do not know if it is actually used for anything.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-22-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Correction
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
tastyeng
tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Edit: I was wrong. I retested and found that the alt text for images is actually preserved in KFX. I do not know if it is actually used for anything.
Kindle for PC with NVDA supports reading alt text. Not sure if any other Kindle platforms do.
tastyeng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hidden text, image & text