Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #31
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
We are told that with the addition of General Loewenhielm, "they would now be twelve for dinner". Rather than the Last Supper, I think there is a suggestion of Pentecost:
Great insight, Bookpossum.

I loved the way the author played with New Testament themes in the story, like Babette as "the dark Martha in the house of their two fair Marys". I wonder if she was also thinking of Kipling for that.

"The Sons of Mary seldom bother, for they have inherited that good part;
But the Sons of Martha favour their Mother of the careful soul and the troubled heart."
- Rudyard Kipling
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #32
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Oh yes bfisher, I like that analogy. I must say I always thought poor Martha was badly done by!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Interesting comment about a Pentecostal idea there, Bookpossum.

I agree about the benefits of trying something new. I have begun doing volunteer docent work at a local museum. It's very enjoyable and I am getting a whole new educational experience!
That sounds like an interesting thing to do, fantasyfan.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #34
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
That sounds like an interesting thing to do, fantasyfan.
It's fascinating! Here's a link to The Hunt Museum in Limerick.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=the+h...viewerState=ga
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #35
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks for the link - it must be a lovely place to work in, and such an elegant building.
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #36
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Some time back (time flies, daren't count the years ) I spent a few days business visit at an organisation in Enagh.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to get into Limerick from there as was working all the time to the timetables of others and regret that I was not able to as what I saw of the area, together with the hospitable people, I enjoyed very much.

Eons more history than here in NZ as humans have only been here since around the 15th Century and until the very late 18th Century there was no human use of metals or pottery, just stone, and buildings and fortifications, etc. were of timber so long decayed away. So a visit to the museum would have been one of the priority things on my list.

I would love to go back but it is a long way from here.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #37
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
It's fascinating! Here's a link to The Hunt Museum in Limerick.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=the+h...viewerState=ga
The pictures are wonderful. I love museums. I bet it is fascinating. Thank you for sharing.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote