Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thumbs down Current build issues

I downloaded and installed the current build a few days ago, you know, the one that is supposed to be a "fix" over the latest 1.1 update. Well since I have done this, the Cybook is giving me nothing but problems. It freezes at the load screen (the one with the picture of the Cybook) It does frequent hiccups if I leave it sitting for a few moments, it will reload or refresh itself which sends me to other pages in the book. It now eats battery power as if it is lunch time. I now find myself having to recharge the device every night if I want the battery to stay charged. And the commands for moving through the books list has become significantly less responsive and error prone.

Has anyone else experienced this with the new build? It is driving me nuts and I am very close to returning the cybook and going with a different device. The thing has become nearly unusable.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
None of those issues here, and no other reports of significant issues on the forum either. If this is an older Gen3, it might be worth going back to firmware 538 and re-flashing to 708 from there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

There is a thread about freezes at boot time with the 708.
I'll see if I can find it again.
About the other problems, I don't know.

Found the link :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26157

Last edited by Gaurnim; 07-15-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Found the link
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I have had some problems with 708, but not to that extent:

* Somehow my internal memory got corrupted (and, yes, I always so a "safely remove" from Windows) resulting in an endless loop on bootup. I reflashed with 538 and then upgraded again -- that problem hasn't happened again.

* I have had a few times in the past week when the unit booted up fine, I was able to select a book, but then could not do anything -- the unit would not respond to any input and needed to be reset.

I didn't see either of these problems with 538. (On the other hand, I did occasionally get a hang on dictionary lookup with 538, and that appears fixed.)

The battery life is lower than with 538, but it is (on my Gen3) a significant improvement over 685.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur

Perhaps my problems are occurring because I have the 64mb gen3 instead of the new 512mb. I didn't think that this should make any difference, but maybe that is part of the problem. After being completely fed up, I did a reset last night so hopefully that might do the trick. I will post it if it does.
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahcowboy View Post
Perhaps my problems are occurring because I have the 64mb gen3 instead of the new 512mb. I didn't think that this should make any difference, but maybe that is part of the problem. After being completely fed up, I did a reset last night so hopefully that might do the trick. I will post it if it does.
It shouldn't make a difference, but my Cybook (64mb) took it just fine - as well as my Netronix EB-100 - but a friend's Cybook (64mb) crashed and is still burning - boots past the initial screen but locks up and re-boots at the second splash screen.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm running on the original 64MB version and haven't had any lockup problems. The only thing that I can think of is you might want to delete all the fonts and see if that helps. I would contact Bookeen support though.

I haven't had battery problems to your extent either. I charge once a week. With the original firmware it was typically showing 50-60% battery after a week. The first firmware update it was down to 20-30% and after the latest I'm seeing 40-50% battery when I recharge.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I haven't had battery problems to your extent either. I charge once a week. With the original firmware it was typically showing 50-60% battery after a week. The first firmware update it was down to 20-30% and after the latest I'm seeing 40-50% battery when I recharge.
This cannot be with the Cybook turned on all the time. so it must depend a lot on how much you read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This cannot be with the Cybook turned on all the time. so it must depend a lot on how much you read.
That's correct I turn it off between reading sessions but the amount I read in a week is pretty consistent. Definitely not scientific just an indication of my experience.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #10
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur

When I did my reset, things have calmed down a little, but it still isn't working like it used too. I think I am going to roll back to the first 1.1 build until bookeen comes out with a fix for the fix. For info reasons, I don't have any fonts currently installed on my device. I do use it on a day to day basis, but not nearly enough to have to recharge it every night. Before all the problems, I recharged about once a week. However, I am still testing to see how it performs after the reset, so things could have changed and I am sure I will know by the end of the week.