Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
brent_strong
brent_strong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What document types will the Kindle read natively?

I just got my new Kindle and I'm trying to load some books onto the SD card on it but not having much luck. I've tried a variety of formats - .opf, .rtf, .txt, .pdf, .htm, .lit (I know that one won't work), and none show up in the content manager. What format(s) do I need to convert files to?

Thanks!
brent_strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This should help you with that.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle

But the short answer is: mobipocket.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
brent_strong

Ah, ok. The .txt one confused me. Maybe I should try my test again. Hmm..

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Convert to DRM-free MobiPocket format (.prc or .mobi). There are several ways to do this, including e-mailing the file to Amazon, or using Windows MobiPocket Reader (or Creator), or Mobiperl.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
brent_strong

I'm going to go through this and I think start using MobiPocket software. I'm on a Mac, but I should be able to run it using Parallels. Thanks!
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The browser on the Kindle will read HTML natively but I have no idea if you can store the files locally on the device and no one seems able to find out.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is there a program to do this conversion that runs natively on the Mac that anyone has used? I've been wondering about that myself and have been looking around but have not found anything as of yet.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
brent_strong

I'm working with mobiperl right now, but the only file I've converted loads onto the Kindle fine but includes no content...just the cover image.

http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiperl

It was also a bit of a bear to install.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
brent_strong

I think the first problem was a fluke...the second file I converted seems to work fine.