Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
board sometimes reverts to German language, bug?

Hi all,

lately I have this weird issue that sometimes the board displays in German even though I've explicitely set it to English (as shown in the screenshot of my profile settings, see below).

I'm not logging out ever, and don't have to relogin, so being a guest is not the problem... as you can see everything is still in German even when visiting my own profile page which says I'm set to English...

Today it happened when I followed a link to MR from a German site, but there was nothing special about the link itself ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211133 coming from http://www.lesen.net/forum/ebook-rea...tml#post144555 ).

When I close the MR tabs and revisit the site manually, everything goes back to normal, i.e. English. Is there some kind of language auto detection at work here, or why doesn't it simply use my profile setting?

I speak German (it's my native language in fact) but I prefer to have English boards show up in English anyway.

Regards
frostschutz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobilereadlanguage.png
Views:	279
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	105220  
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Frotzschutz, wenn Du die Seite ganz runter scrollst, ist ein kleines Kästchen für die Spracheinstellung, das nur für die jeweilige Sitzung gilt.

Möglicherweise bist Du eventuell irgendwie aus Versehen drauf gekommen. Dies scheint ab und zu zu passieren, zumindest hatten wir mindestens ein Thema damit schon:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180961
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I didn't know there was a quick language chooser, I certainly did not use it, but this may be the workaround for next time to get back to English quicker than closing / restarting tabs...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Thanks. I didn't know there was a quick language chooser, I certainly did not use it, but this may be the workaround for next time to get back to English quicker than closing / restarting tabs...
For those that don't speak German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
At the bottom left side of the forum you can change the language from English to Deutsch and back. Sometimes this gets bumped on my browser and I have to change it back.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You almost certainly clicked on it accidentally - perhaps when only the bottom of the browser window was visible? You wouldn't be the first person (far from it, in fact) to do so. It's something that's caught out many people (including some of the moderating team ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You almost certainly clicked on it accidentally - perhaps when only the bottom of the browser window was visible?
It's a possibility, but - I don't usually go around hitting things accidentally. I didn't start using computers yesterday.

I followed that link and then noticed it was in German again in the middle of scrolling down, since "Quote" turns into "Zitat" and "Thumbnails" into "Miniaturansicht angehängter Grafiken" (translations always suck).

Not sure how much effort it would be, but how about combining that quick language chooser with a popup "Do you want to switch to >LANGUAGE<?" [Yes/No]. That way you could say no to such "accidents", as well as rule out accidents as a possible cause in the first place...

Anyhow, in the future at least I know how to get rid of it easily.

Edit: Or maybe it happens due to funny links embedded in some posts. <link removed>[/IMG]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 05-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Clicking the title of this thread changes the board language to German. That's just weird!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Even VIEWING this thread changes the board language to German. I've asked the board owner, Alex, to take a look and see what's going on. This is just so strange!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Very peculiar... I am investigating...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyhow, in the future at least I know how to get rid of it easily.

Edit: Or maybe it happens due to funny links embedded in some posts. <link removed>]
You were right. It is the "funny" link. In fact, it is if you insert a thread link in form within an image tag (obviously it's not going to do anything, but it's enough to trigger the language change). I would label it a bug in the forum software. Going check what can be done against it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure this is actually the cause; I checked the thread I was linked to and it didn't have any of these links in it. It may still happen due to some other bug.

If it causes this kind of problem maybe it would be better to remove it entirely (or at least for registered members), after all it can just be set in the profile to the language one desires?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks again. Yes, it's what caused it. I removed the quick language switcher in the bottom, which should take care of the problem. You can still change the language through the user control panel.