Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Breaking News: Kindle Store Live at Amazon.ca!

Quote:
Numerous blogs are reporting that a Kindle store is now live at Amazon.ca.*Before we all get too excited, I should clarify that this looks to be e-books only. While apps for various platforms are listed, there are no hardware Kindles on offer, and when I went looking for them on the main Amazon.ca page, I was redirected to the American mothership.

But there are some welcome content offerings this new store brings to Canada: We can access the Kindle Singles now, and there is a reasonably large and well-organized selection of French e-books, which some of us have long been coveting. And, like the Canadian Kobo store, they are highlighting local authors. I’m not sure a legend like Alice Munro needs the front-page push necessarily, but it’s a start. And a ‘Canadian Bestsellers’ feature spotlights authors such as Rawi Hage and Tanis Rideout who are well worth a read.

I have some questions on how this is all going to work, exactly. If you need a .com account to buy a hardware Kindle, are you going to want to register separately for a .ca account too? And will features such as Wish List and Recommendations, which depend on your purchase history, carry over? My suspicion is they will not.

So, as someone who is already using the main Amazon.com store and who has an established library there, I am not seeing the incentive for me to switch over to the new Canadian version. I just hope they don’t make me do it—or that if they do, they have a protocol in place to transfer my stuff.
Via Teleread
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With the exception of Japan, all the other Amazon "national" stores share the same account, so you almost certainly won't need a separate account to buy from amazon.ca - just use the same login you use for amazon.com.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With the exception of Japan, all the other Amazon "national" stores share the same account, so you almost certainly won't need a separate account to buy from amazon.ca - just use the same login you use for amazon.com.
Yes, but for example my wish list that I made on amazon.com doesn't appear on amazon.ca. Let's hope they don't do that for books as well. I don't want fragmentation in my purchases and have to guess which one I bought where.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Not interested at this point

I'll wait and see how it pans out over time. When i checked today a four book bundle i read about in another thread wasn't available at the Canadian site - and the single volumns of the same series were each more expensive than the us counterparts.

Also, Amazon.com offered to transfer my library to .ca, and close my .com account. It didn't offer to let me keep both, so i passed.

Unless i receive a discount from kobo - i find that the us kindle books have the lowest prices.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Do you need to have a Canadian shipping address and credit card billing address to buy Kindle books, or can I buy from the U.S. as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I've just checked prices across Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and Kobo. For the books that I checked, Amazon.com is a few dollars more than Amazon.ca. Amazon.ca seems to be matching Kobo prices.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
I've just checked prices across Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and Kobo. For the books that I checked, Amazon.com is a few dollars more than Amazon.ca. Amazon.ca seems to be matching Kobo prices.
That would be great if true - were taxes factored in to the comparison? I regularly buy from both sites. Kobo sometimes looks cheaper, but it isn't when you add the taxes on. Amazon's listed price is the full price.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
That would be great if true - were taxes factored in to the comparison? I regularly buy from both sites. Kobo sometimes looks cheaper, but it isn't when you add the taxes on. Amazon's listed price is the full price.
For the books I buy, it is generally true. The price difference remains. I really think it depends on what genre you are interested in.

To be fair though, the tax does narrow the price difference.

I've just checked Louise Erdrich's titles. At Kobo, with tax, the titles are between $0.09 and $0.50 cheaper than at Amazon.com. Amazon.ca's prices are in line with Kobo's prices.

Last edited by llcj; 12-09-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: additional information
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
I think in my case I'm going to stick with my Amazon.com account until I see how things shake out. No doubt one you make the switch there will be no going back so I'm going to wait to see more pricing examples first.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ For price comparison, keep an eye on luzme.com. They will probably add Amazon.ca to their list shortly.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
^ For price comparison, keep an eye on luzme.com. They will probably add Amazon.ca to their list shortly.
Thanks for the link, I didn't know that site! Seems like a good way to find ebook!
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Another great place to check for prices is Books on Board when logged in with a Canadian account. I find many of the agency books priced lower there for Canadians because the BOB discounts are applicable (Penguin US books, for example).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm

Ti-Ron, if you have an amazon wishlist, you can couple it to your luzme account and they will send an email whenever any of the books on your list go up and down in price at any of the stores you want to have listed (you select them). I don't even check my wishlist any more, since I rely so heavily on luzme.
Ereaderiq.com is also good, but for some reason I hardly ever get their notifications, and I think that one may be US only.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I want to know what happens with the Kindle deal of the day. I sometimes buy those. Will they be available for.ca customers? I am not switching over until I know more.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like that I'm no longer paying an extra three to seven dollars for buying from .com, but the prices in Canada are still ludicrous for ebooks in comparison to the US. Does Canada tax literacy that much?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote