Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
netbenben
netbenben began at the beginning.

Device: Casio Electronic Dictionary
Which ereader to replace Kindle DX?

Hey Guys,

Since Kindle DX is delisted, I can't find anyplace to buy one(outside of the US). Which ereader that is similar to Kindle DX shoud I buy? I need to read lots of A4 pdf academic documents and mobi files.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ben
netbenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Pocketbook Pro 912 would be my first choice.

Unfortunately it's only Vizplex... [the older screen, pre-Pearl]
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The other big two are the Onxy Boox M92 and the Ectaco Jetbook color.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
And add Icarus Excel to the bunch, it is expensive but it has a Vacom touch screen so it is excelent for note taking and annotation.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It is my understanding that the Icarus Excel is identical to the Boox M92. It was just rebranded as the Excel.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
You could check www.kindleboards.com in their buy, sell, trade section. Have been a few there lately.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Ah, the M92 has a Pearl screen! Even better!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbenben View Post
Hey Guys,

Since Kindle DX is delisted, I can't find anyplace to buy one(outside of the US). Which ereader that is similar to Kindle DX shoud I buy? I need to read lots of A4 pdf academic documents and mobi files.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ben
Is something like the iPad not working for your pupose? It appears to be the better choice if you do a lot of highlighting and annotating. Or maybe wait for the MS Surface tablets. Microsoft had a very good reader software back in the days of the Pocket PCs. It allowed underlining, highlighting in different colors, scribbling anywhere on the page, and typed annotations. It was so advanced even cmpared to any of today's apps. They may be bringing it back.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
I think the point is we want E ink, or Mirasol, something without back light.
I would not mind to pay a higher price for a large E ink display, way higher than LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Is something like the iPad not working for your pupose? It appears to be the better choice if you do a lot of highlighting and annotating. Or maybe wait for the MS Surface tablets. Microsoft had a very good reader software back in the days of the Pocket PCs. It allowed underlining, highlighting in different colors, scribbling anywhere on the page, and typed annotations. It was so advanced even cmpared to any of today's apps. They may be bringing it back.
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawhite View Post
I think the point is we want E ink, or Mirasol, something without back light.
I would not mind to pay a higher price for a large E ink display, way higher than LCD
I get it, I also prefer e-ink, but if I were doing reasearch, I would go for a good tablet because of the previously mentioned advantages that may offset the disadvantages of reading on an LCD screen. I offered this as an alternative solution to the OP.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I'm quite happy with my

JetBook Color

Huge resolution, DJVU-Support and, if needed,color eink display and stylus support.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
It's depressing there are so few options for large eink devices while the market overflows with 6 inch devices. I prefer by DX over all my readers. iPad doesn't even come close. In fact, I never read books on my pad.. NEVER! and I never will if I can help it!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For the cost of a large screen eink reader, an iPad is a better overall choice. I know some won't like this, but it's what is and you'll find it becoming even more so.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote