Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Can anyone help me with an Apple ID problem?

I have an iPad3 and so far it has worked OK for me. In our family I'm the one who tries new hardware, software etc. and then I can help my husband.

So today I bought him his own new shiny iPad3.

I started setting it up for him. He is not in general an Apple fan, so I was surprised when we got to setting up an Apple ID to find that there was already one for his email address. We were able to get in by changing the password. It then emerged that he must have set up an ID donkey's years ago when he was in France and he had registered a French address.

I have been able to change this to a UK address and to register a UK credit card with that billing address. The current location of his iPad is the UK and everything is set up in English ... except the app store.

When you hit the app store button, everything is in French (not a big problem in itself). It refuses to accept his English card because it isn't valid in the French app store. But we want the English app store. I tried going in via Safari, but still came up against a brick wall. It accepts the UK coordinates for the ID but still insists on behaving as though he's in France and taking us straight to the French app store.

When you hit the app store button on the iPad, you still get the app store in France.

It feels like a closed maze! How to get out of this endless loop? He wants to use his normal email address for his ID.

DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
He's going to have to set up a new ID. That old iD is registered on the French store and can't be changed. Likewise he wont be able to use that email address on the UK store. I've had these frustrations myself between a couple of IDs but there it is. The good news is that if he wants anything from the French store, he can have it (as long as its free, or he can supply a French CC).

But... a new AppleID is going to be needed for the UK store.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^^^^ Thanks for this.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is this how hard working with Apple? too strict and too stressful!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
jennysimpson
jennysimpson began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyouth View Post
Is this how hard working with Apple? too strict and too stressful!
I think the ones who are working on the customer service on apple are much more stressed. Just imagine all the calls (usually complaints) that they receive everyday.

back to the topic, setting up a new email and apple id is what yu need to do in order to program your itunes account to uk.
jennysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
DMB
Old Git

I did in the end set up a new ID. However, when I went on the iPad as soon as I hit the App button it took me to the old ID. In the end, I fiddled and fiddled and eventually managed to get it to accept the old ID, with all the new data + a new password. So I'm not bothering about the new ID any more, since I was finally able to buy an App with the old one.

The trouble is that I'm not at all sure of everything I did, but the new ID seemed to work as a catalyst.

ETA I used to be an Apple fan back in the 1980s and early 1990s, finally giving up after OS problems, but this kind of thing makes me rather fed up. Still, we've both got iPad3s now, so we'll have to learn to tolerate Apple.

Last edited by DMB; 09-27-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
DMB
Old Git

For anyone who's interested, my husband lost his iPad and doesn't want another. So that's a problem solved in a way.