Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Wired.com Top Ten Gadgets of 2007

The Kindle is #10 of the Heartbreaking Gadgets. Here is what they said:

Quote:
It doesn't seem quite right to call Amazon's electronic-book tablet a letdown, as our expectations were tempered from the start. But the retailer not only managed to validate most of our original concerns but add a few new ones. You probably know the rap sheet by now: No native PDF support. Costs as much as a low-end laptop. "Klugey" keyboard. Clumsy, extortionate e-mail conversion process for adding your own files. And the web browser? Crippled. But what really kills us? You have to pay to read a blog on this thing.
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetr...=1&slideView=3

It is also #7 of the Top Ten Best Gadgets.

Quote:
Given the choice of Sony style or the ugly, poke-your-eye-out lines of Amazon's new e-reader, the one with free internet wins. Though its primary functionality is designed to funnel you into spending money at the Kindle store and is hampered by nickel-and-dime fees, skip to the web browser, and the unit shines. The e-ink display is, as ever, fabulous.
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetr...=4&slideView=2

Schizophrenic, much?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
Nate,
I don't know much about the Kindle. I own the Sony 505. When I shopped for a device the only itema I wanted were a good, clear reader with access to books. I have a great MP3 player and I read the news on my laptop and/or desktop with lightning fast wireless. Is it too much to ask that a device designed to be a reader be just that; a reader! The 505 is without a doubt my #1 purchase of the year. Maybe I'm just easy to please. I have enought material right now to spend the next 2 years reading without break. The display is clean, crisp and clear. The charge lasts a couple weeks. Maybe folks were expecting the Kindle to toast poptarts on top of everything else I don't need a reader to do.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what would Wired have to say if the wifi for the Kindle was no longer free as we expect it to someday not be free?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what would Wired have to say if the wifi for the Kindle was no longer free as we expect it to someday not be free?
Wired may say that the Kindle's dictionary function, six font sizes, font justification specs, title look-up, text search functions and clock option outshine the Sony Reader functions but make it a close second to the Cybook Gen3 readers.

But that is counting on the Wired writers actually using the technology that they review--but having the same troubles that Rolling Stone magazine does, the editors are usually way more out of touch (and age range) than it's customers...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh, I'm sure it would be #7 on their best of the year and #4 on their worst of the year lists...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Strange review. THey seem to punish it for features it has that sony lacks. Then compare it to a laptop? Hello?

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Wired loved the PRS-505. Overall, they seem to really enjoy dedicated readers.

It's nice to see the Kindle (or any dedicated reader) in a top 10 list for gadgets. They're not punishing the device with a #10 in the heartbreaking list, it's just that they expected much more from this device than what Amazon delivered. It didn't meet their expectations, but still believe that it's a great device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.gotwald View Post
I have a great MP3 player and I read the news on my laptop and/or desktop with lightning fast wireless. Is it too much to ask that a device designed to be a reader be just that; a reader!
The Kindle is primarily a reader. I don't use it for websurfing aside from the Wikipedia search. I use it to read books. The EVDO access to me is merely a convenient added tool that integrates with my reading. I can get a new book right when I think of it or highlight something I'm curious about and get my answer without really interrupting my reading. Yes, I can hook up to my computer and download stuff pretty easily or look up something but it's also nice when you're sitting in the airport or on the train or wherever and you want a new book to be able to have it so easily. Heck, I just like the fact that after I'm done reading a sample, I can have the whole book literally in seconds and just keep on going.

I get the impression oftentimes people hear about the Internet access and imagine some sort of complex gadget. I don't think that was the intention. It seems to me Amazon is looking to offer instantly gratifying, boneheadedly simple, impulse-buy-facilitating access to their store. I would've been happy without the EVDO. I was really mostly interested in the book and dictionary search functions. However, having the Kindle and experiencing having the book or the answer I want NOW ( butt still in comfy chair, teacup still in hand ) I have to say it's pretty darn nifty.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It seems to me Amazon is looking to offer instantly gratifying, boneheadedly simple, impulse-buy-facilitating access to their store.

That is exactly what they were doing. Gadget lovers don't mind a more complicated device, provided that convenience isn't sacrificed, but the average person wants a simple device. Right now Amazon has the easiest way out of any e-book device of purchasing content and putting it on the reader.

I also don't understand all the complaints about the battery. Anyone who owns a Kindle knows about the off switch for the EVDO. I turn it on when I purchase a book and turn it off when reading it. When off I find the battery life on par with my Sony PRS-500.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The Kindle is primarily a reader. I don't use it for websurfing aside from the Wikipedia search. I use it to read books. The EVDO access to me is merely a convenient added tool that integrates with my reading. I can get a new book right when I think of it or highlight something I'm curious about and get my answer without really interrupting my reading. Yes, I can hook up to my computer and download stuff pretty easily or look up something but it's also nice when you're sitting in the airport or on the train or wherever and you want a new book to be able to have it so easily. Heck, I just like the fact that after I'm done reading a sample, I can have the whole book literally in seconds and just keep on going.

I get the impression oftentimes people hear about the Internet access and imagine some sort of complex gadget. I don't think that was the intention. It seems to me Amazon is looking to offer instantly gratifying, boneheadedly simple, impulse-buy-facilitating access to their store. I would've been happy without the EVDO. I was really mostly interested in the book and dictionary search functions. However, having the Kindle and experiencing having the book or the answer I want NOW ( butt still in comfy chair, teacup still in hand ) I have to say it's pretty darn nifty.
Very well said. I totally agree. It's convenient to have the wireless, but it isn't the only thing that makes the Kindle a good e-book reader. It sure does help a lot on the rare times that I do want to use it. Wikipedia, or a book title.

And in my opinion, what Feedbooks did with their downloadable links directory thingy--that was just amazing. I read a DRM-free book by an author, and he has links embedded in the book to download more books by same author. Thirty seconds later, I am reading another book by that same author. Quick and painless and I don't even have to sit up. Awesome.

I think Feedbooks' use of the Kindle technology is an example of just how innovative this device really is and I wish more people who reviewed the Kindle would try out this feature.

Last edited by tsgreer; 12-26-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
spanky
spanky began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
When I think about the Kindle I think of how great and awful it is. I'd love to own but would have to drive 30 minutes to get content. I've been heartbroken since I broke my ebookwise reader because it was cheap, fun and you could use it in the dark.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
When I think about the Kindle I think of how great and awful it is. I'd love to own but would have to drive 30 minutes to get content. I've been heartbroken since I broke my ebookwise reader because it was cheap, fun and you could use it in the dark.
Did you contact ETI or eBookwise about getting it fixed?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
When I think about the Kindle I think of how great and awful it is. I'd love to own but would have to drive 30 minutes to get content.
If you don't have EVDO access, you can still get books the same way you do with all the other readers: download the file to your computer and load it to the reader via USB.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Very well said. I totally agree. It's convenient to have the wireless, but it isn't the only thing that makes the Kindle a good e-book reader. It sure does help a lot on the rare times that I do want to use it. Wikipedia, or a book title.

And in my opinion, what Feedbooks did with their downloadable links directory thingy--that was just amazing. I read a DRM-free book by an author, and he has links embedded in the book to download more books by same author. Thirty seconds later, I am reading another book by that same author. Quick and painless and I don't even have to sit up. Awesome.

I think Feedbooks' use of the Kindle technology is an example of just how innovative this device really is and I wish more people who reviewed the Kindle would try out this feature.
Glad that you like this feature tsgreer. Keep in mind that this is strictly the beginning for Feedbooks on the Kindle. We'll soon provide a mobile website for the device, then an easy way (similar to the download guide) to get RSS feeds or customized newspapers on the Kindle.

I'll also work on a tutorial about these features, I'm sure that a lot of non-techies would be interested about these kind of things.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #15
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Glad that you like this feature tsgreer. Keep in mind that this is strictly the beginning for Feedbooks on the Kindle. We'll soon provide a mobile website for the device, then an easy way (similar to the download guide) to get RSS feeds or customized newspapers on the Kindle.

I'll also work on a tutorial about these features, I'm sure that a lot of non-techies would be interested about these kind of things.
That would be awesome. If the customized newspapers thing works out, feedbooks will be the place to go for Kindle owners...