Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
epub to mobi conversion ncx to navpoint problem

I have an epub that I have formatted for converting to mobi. It looks great and everything works perfectly with the small exception of the final navpoint. I have an inline toc that my Kindle will use and I have a regular epub-style ncx/toc that should convert to the navpoints on my Kindle. All the navpoints in the ncx seem to be converting Kindle navpoints perfectly except for the final one. This happens on rare occasion but I can never quite figure out why. When I compare it to epubs that have converted and worked perfectly, I can't see any difference.

Has this ever happened to anyone else or sound familiar? Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this or how I can fix it?

I'm not sure what details may be useful in troubleshooting this issue so please ask away.

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's a known frustrating bug when creating mobi's with kindlegen (or at least it was at one point), but I've never come across it when converting with calibre, myself. Maybe it's actually a Kindle rendering bug rather than something to do with the mobi creation software. Does the final navpoint function normally when viewing with the KindlePreviewer app?

The solution with kindlegen was to add an extra dummy navPoint at the end of the ncx file. Just leave the text empty (nothing between the <text></text> tags in the navLabel) and make sure the src attribute in the <content /> tag is valid.

That made sure the next to last (the real last) worked fine and the dummy navPoint was ignored in the final mobi.

But like I said, that was with kindlegen and not calibre, so I don't know if I've been any help.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-11-2012 at 06:42 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The solution with kindlegen was to add an extra dummy navPoint at the end of the ncx file. Just leave the text empty (nothing between the <text></text> tags in the navLabel) and make sure the src attribute in the <content /> tag is valid.
Well, that didn't help. It was worth a try though. I really have no idea what may be holding out that final navpoint. It's really strange.

Thanks anyway.

- Byron
Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic

Well, while the "add a dummy navpoint to the end" suggestion didn't work, I was able to get this corrected. I downloaded the latest beta version of Sigil and the latest version of Calibre, saved my epub under the new version of Sigil, converted again with the new version of Calibre and everything is fine.

I'm not certain which of the two was causing the problem or if it was some weird combination of the two but it's working now.

Go figure...

- Byron
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The dummy navpoint only ever worked for me when converting with kindlegen—I never tried it with calibre, but anyway... glad to hear it resolved itself with an update(s).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic

Now, here's something even more weird. It wound up that it wasn't Calibre or a Sigil issue. It was a Kindle Previewer issue. I was checking it on on an another computer and the last navpoint wasn't showing. When I check out the same exact mobi file on my main computer, the last navpoint shows just fine. So, I side-loaded the file onto my Kindle 3 and, sure enough, it looks and works just fine. I guess that'll teach me to take everything I see on the Kindle Previewer with a grain of salt.

Oh well, I was still way past due to update my Calibre and Sigil installations.

- Byron