Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
Question Extra Titles Error Persists in Check Library

I am running Calibre 8.30 on a Windows 7 - 64 bit system and a Mac OS 10.7 Lion Laptop. I keep them synchronized by saving my library in Dropbox.

For the past month or more, I have gotten the same error in running Library Maintenance / Check Library and cannot figure out what I need to do to fix this. I've got to be missing something simple.

I get 2 Extra Titles. These are same 2 books every time, of course. In each, I had edited the title to shorten it. If I look into the author's directory, these are empty folders, which makes sense. What I don't understand is why they re-create themselves after I delete them, either from the Delete Marked Button in the Check Library dialog box or manually in Windows Explorer and / or Mac Finder. In addition to the empty subdirectory with the pre-corrected title, I also have a correct subdirectory for each of these books with the .MOBI, EPUB, cover and .OPF files I expect to see there. I have tried just deleting the books altogether, restarting Calibre to reload the DB, then re-downloading and re-adding the books as if they were new. That has not worked. What am I missing?

Thank you, in advance.
GeekyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGal View Post
I get 2 Extra Titles. These are same 2 books every time, of course. In each, I had edited the title to shorten it.
If you want to shorten anything do it via calibre by editing the title or author fields.

Quote:
or manually in Windows Explorer and / or Mac Finder.
Do not alter the structure of calibre's library / database using Explorer or Finder.

Quote:
What am I missing?
Your missing the golden rule, don't manually muck around in calibre's files with anything other than calibre's interface.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I am running Calibre 8.30 on a Windows 7 - 64 bit system and a Mac OS 10.7 Lion Laptop. I keep them synchronized by saving my library in Dropbox.
My guess is that you are running into case incompatibilities. Windows is case-insensitive. IIRC, OS X can run either way.

If you change a title, only changing the case, then sharing between case-sensitive and case-insensitive systems can lead to disaster. There are many situations where a case-sensitive system would create two folders, one in the original case and one in the new case. The case-insensitive system will keep one folder with one case or the other. Couple this with dropbox trying to keep things up-to-date and you have a recipe for confusion.

Things to look for:
- Check if the two folders differ only in case. If so, then you must work out what software is seeing what and try to clean up.
- Check if the same book exists in calibre twice, one with formats and one without. This can happen if case sensitivity breaks renaming. Calibre will create folders for empty books.
- Check if dropbox is complaining about case sensitivity.

I can't give more information or hints because I haven't ever personally had this problem. However, there have been several forum threads about it. Try searching for case-sensitive.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote