Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Schlutek
Schlutek doesn't litterSchlutek doesn't litter

Device: iPad, nook color, Kindle
Verifying Document/Fragment Identifier

I have 2 epub documents I've created that have cleared epubcheck, but will not open in ADE, nor upload to my iPad. I am getting a "verifying document" box with a progress bar that makes no progress in ADE. When trying to upload to my iPad, I get an "Attempting to copy to the disk 'iPad' failed. A duplicate file name was specified" (Note that I had just deleted this file off of my iPad to replace with the newly epubcheck error free version.)

I'd like to note that I have 14 other titles that do work just fine (and have just went through the same process of epubcheck verification) so some of my files are just fine. (it's not just me!

The one common denominator I can find in these two files is that they both had "Fragment identifier is not defined in .xhtml" errors in epubcheck. Could I have somehow fixed them incorrectly in that they pass epubcheck, but will not work otherwise?

I'm so close to the finish line of releasing these books to the retailers - Help!
Schlutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Schlutek

Another clue to my mystery.
When converting the epub to mobi using kindlegen, I am getting an error "(filename).xhtml exists, but not a directory!"
This confirms my suspicion of the Fragment Identifier fix being problematic, but I'm still in the dark of how to fix.
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Unfortunatly passing ePubCheck says nothing about the validity of the ePUB, just that it passes ePubCheck. Not everything is checked.

Try running it through FlightCrew. It checks more than ePubCheck and gives better error messages. See if that gives any errors.

If not, please post the ePUB if you are able and we can take a look.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Schlutek

I have fixed the errors. (hip, hip horay!) It is interesting because I started using Springy to avoid invisible files when i open my epub (I'm on a Mac) and apparently, changes i'd made (in Dreamweaver) were not saved. I went back to unzipping the file (using the script), remade the changes, re-zipped, and now all is well. It is strange that epubcheck Ok'd the files w/o the changes applied.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
flypig
flypig began at the beginning.

Device: ADE, FBreader, others
Schlutek, how exactly did you fix your errors. I am also getting "corrupted ZIP header" and I used Springy to open the .mobi. Which script are you referring to?

Here is my error (among others)
ERROR: Apples_to_Apples.mobi/OEBPS/toc.ncx(3): 'toc-anchor-5': fragment identifier is not defined in 'OEBPS/Apples_to_Apples.xhtml'

I am mostly using the InDesign plug-in for export to Kindle, but file needs lots of work afterwards, and I am hoping Springy is not breaking the ZIP.

Thanks hugely,
Carol
flypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Schlutek

Springy works well. The one tip i'd advise is not to "double click" on the files you need to edit. Control-click and select "edit with" and the application. Double-clicking seems to not recognize the save correctly after you've made edits.

The script i use is from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ip+epub+script

Works great, but if you are working on a mac, be aware of the invisible files it will produce. They often create errors when epubchecking.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlutek View Post
The script i use is from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ip+epub+script

Works great, but if you are working on a mac, be aware of the invisible files it will produce. They often create errors when epubchecking.
Hmm, I don't use the script, but I was under the impression that recent versions of it avoided "the invisible files it [the Mac] will produce" when (re)packing the epub. There's a command-line switch for zip that does that.

Be sure you have the most recent version of the script.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote