Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #31
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
A question for those of you who have had your nook for a couple of weeks: do you bother to turn wireless off to save power? It seems to be a 5 click operation to toggle it on or off, and 3 just to check the status, so it's not that convenient.

In fairness, it is about the same on my iPod, where it really makes a big difference in time between charges. Not sure it matters as much when you are talking about days between charges in the worst case.
I seldom have wifi on, even if the wifi chip is in sleep mode, it will use some battery, especially when you are far from the access point, or away, when it may be scanning periodically. I only turn it on when I need it, to browser the store. It is easy enough to toggle and the savings are there.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A couple of discoveries:
- when reading, opening the 'go to' panel shows the current chapter title and the number of pages left to read in the chapter
- when reading, to see title/battery status/time, tap center of the screen (but why not wireless status also?). Note the title hides after the first page turn.
- Nook and Kindle use the same type of USB cable, chargers are interchangeable. The perfect travelling companions!

Last edited by tomsem; 06-19-2011 at 01:36 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I seldom have wifi on, even if the wifi chip is in sleep mode, it will use some battery, especially when you are far from the access point, or away, when it may be scanning periodically. I only turn it on when I need it, to browser the store. It is easy enough to toggle and the savings are there.
Supposedly you have a couple of weeks even if wifi is on all the time. At least in this exploratory phase of my relationship with Nook, I just leave it on. But since I don't plan to shop very much with B&N, and there's nothing else you can do with it, I'll probably turn it off by default once I'm settled in.

But if B&N would only add content delivery by email capability (like Kindle), I'd definitely use that and leave wifi on all of the time. It's a very useful feature, particularly in conjunction with things like Instapaper and browser plugins designed to grab content for later reading on another device. It might benefit B&N sales since 'wifi on' means 'ready to shop'. (But assuming that this would be treated the same as side-loaded content, they'd have add the ability to delete side-loaded content on the device.)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #34
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I typically like to go off the beaten path for books because that way I can get my books for less. Don't get me wrong I am not slighting BN in any way, they are a great book store and a great electronic one its just that Amazon can offer me books for less then BN does. However I have a few from BN because they offered the title I wanted for less then Amazon and Borders. Once I decide what I want its a "low cost shoot out among the stores."

This is an interesting conversation about the Nook Simple Touch, I can see now who I need to recommend it to.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #35
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I thought I wanted a Nook STR then I joined the forum then went around it a few times and got confused (Nook vs Kobo). But Kobo seems to be slightly more problematic than what I want to mess around with on a gadget, so it's back to trusty Amazon's Kindle vs B&N's Nook.

I'm not in the US so it might make more to get the Kindle for the support from Amazon, but I am absolutely unable to get past the clunky keyboard. The few days my touch-screen phone died (don't worry, it was revived), I used a buttons-only phone and what a horrible experience! I may have developed weak thumbs that are used to touch-screens and (only for left thumb) the space bar on laptops.

Plus I don't annotate or write or anything other than READ and the full keyboard was just wasted space. The only thing I might turn out to be annoyed at the Nook for would be the page-turning if I accidentally touch the screen, but I might be in practice from using Stanza on my iPhone for that.

Thanks for the discussion here, it has been helpful in confirming my selection for the e-reader to purchase. I'll just ask my friend to take the Nook out for a test drive before bringing it back.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert