Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
WyattsTorch
WyattsTorch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help with Blank Pages in iBook

Hey guys.

I'm new to the ebook world and I'm almost finished with my first.

I used Microsoft Word to create the document and converted to .epup using Calibre. It worked perfectly on my iBooks app.

Now, I decided to add a TOC. I did this in Word and converted to epub again. It detected all of the chapters. In Stanza, another ebook reader for iPhone, it works fine.

However, the .epub does not work correctly in iBooks. When I choose a Chapter to navigate to, it takes me to a blank page, with the chapter starting on the next page. It did this to every one of my chapters, but not to my Legal Section, Dedication, or Introduction.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to correct this in iBooks when there are no blank pages in other programs? Thanks a ton.

Zach
WyattsTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
This seems to have started with the newest version of iBooks that came out recently. For me, all my old books I converted with Calibre worked fine in the old iBooks, but the newest release puts the blank page in there. I found that if I edit the CSS file for the ebook and remove the property "page-break-before: always" then the book displays the same as before. Calibre adds that property when it converts and it seems either the old iBooks handled it properly or ignored it.

So far hand editing that is the only solution I have found. Means I have several hundred books to edit now.

Update: Actually just got a reply in my thread in the Calibre Conversion forum with a possible solution, check out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122510

Last edited by adv_dp_fan; 02-21-2011 at 10:15 PM.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Nordis
Nordis began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help with blank pages in iBook

I have exactly the same problem. I created a book using Sigil and it reads very well in Stanza. Whe I open it in iBooks it creates blank pages before each chapter, and often an extra page for some chapter titles.
Nordis is offline   Reply With Quote