Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Watnog
Watnog began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 903
Question Won't start up

2 months after my BeBook fell and crashed I finally got my 903. That was yesterday. I haven't read anything so far...
I thought to clean up things so I removed all the free books, all those that are in the root directory. Since then the device hangs on the screen just before it goes to where you can start working with the stylus.
Nor is making a usb connection possible, all that happens is that it starts charging.
I've been reading various similar issues and one suggestion was to remove the battery And indeed I was able to connect to the pc and downloaded the 2.0.4 firmware (which was already current).
I also deleted any other book in the library and ran the update which went fine. But I still can't get my 903 to work. I've been repeating the battery trick, to no avail, and I'm really desperate.
After the 2.0.4 update I get a 'Bookland' screen, that's new, but I won't get further than that.
Anything I can do, besides sending it back?

and
Watnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hallo Watnog,

welcome to mobileread!

Sounds like your library is corrupted. After deleting all the books the system seems to calculate to reorganise the internal database.
Did you delete the books completely or did you secure them on your PC? For some users here with your problem it helped to copy the books back to the Pocketbook (and eventually make another firmware update).
I had the same problem, too, with my device it was simply time that helped - suddenly the device started functioning again.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Watnog

The Gutenberg's are moved to my pc's hard drive, so if only I would be able to connect again I could give it a try moving them back.
And of course time ultimately solves everything, but I hope that I don't have to wait that long. I kept the 903 'ON' today, and charged through usb, but it remains stuck on the Bookland splash screen.
So far nothing seems to move much...
Nice of you to welcome me, wish my inswing would have been less sad.
Cheers.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hi and welcome,
If it still doesn't work after a whole day, I recommend to reflash it with the original Dealer Firmware. Must be somewhere here in the Forum,didn't find it on short notice, but with a little time and the search function you should be lucky.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
jino
jino began at the beginning.

Device: none
I do not have a solution, but the problem is very similar to my problem with new EMPTY microSD card(s), causing deadlock during startup or during insertion, very similar to your situation. It can be a symptom of more general software problem and of course a warning for users - not remove all books from media.

Last edited by jino; 02-12-2011 at 04:31 AM.
jino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
Watnog

I have the 2.0.4 bin on the root folder so that version takes would take priority on firmware on an SD card, right? And since I cannot any longer make a usb connection I cannot remove the root folder version.
Seems like I am completely stuck here... :-(
Will get in contact with vendor, and in the meantime I'm mentally preparing for a back to sender operation.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
darknessEC
Enthusiast
darknessEC doesn't litterdarknessEC doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 903
May the idea can be stupid but, have you tryied to reset your device pressing the little button for reset? You can do it with a needle, for example.

Best wishes.
darknessEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Watnog

Hey, I hadn't tried that, didn't know there was one...
It does react but again stops at the splash sreen.
I tried re-applaying the 2.0.4 firmware afterwards, resetting the device once more, etc, etc. I leave it on all the time, hoping that 'time' does its work, but so far still no sigar.
Thanks for the hint.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
darknessEC
Enthusiast
darknessEC doesn't litterdarknessEC doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 903
Another tryied:

Put the firmware into your SD and insert the card. Then reset the device with the reset button. And now, while pressing the start button press both button for turn right and left at the same time.

Maybe the device will try to re-install the firmware and it will loof for the file.

I don't know if you did this solution, but ...

Best wishes (and sorry for my english).
darknessEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watnog View Post
Hey, I hadn't tried that, didn't know there was one...
It does react but again stops at the splash sreen.
I tried re-applaying the 2.0.4 firmware afterwards, resetting the device once more, etc, etc. I leave it on all the time, hoping that 'time' does its work, but so far still no sigar.
Thanks for the hint.
not too sure whether this can help, and perhaps this is totally obvious to you, but I read soemwehre that if you update the firmware from the root, you then have to remove the file you loaded there for the update.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Watnog

Something happened.
Besides being a good book by Heller it sometimes just does.
And I do have an ereader again.
I do think that 'time', as was rightfully suggested by Billi, did the trick. I just kept it connected (charged) to the pc, a day and a night almost, from time to time pushing the 'home' button, in the meantime doing various things like the above suggested 'reset' and just another reflash, until tonight it finally got passed the splash screen. I got into the maintenance menu and did a 'reformat of the internal memory' (is that a solid state disk? I don't think so actually), as I am no longer afraid of anything... , and got all the manuals in 4 languages back, but not the Gutenberg's books .
Thanks all for your support, it meant a lot in moral respect and your advice kept me going.
Soooo glad we made it!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Watnog

Hi Paolamanzini, I not only could not any longer acces the device as an ' ereader', but neither could I access it through the pc. The usb connection did not work, so there was no way to delete the firmware binary there.... I now understand that indeed that firmware should not stay internally, and will in the many years to come remove it asap after applying...
:-]
Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Watnog

And I could reproduce the error!
I removed books (2) from the device through the pc, and yes seemingly this needs a total reshuffling of the database... so back again I am on the splash screen...
I am now patiently waiting for the device to overcome this violent act of file deletion....
I just can't imagine one would have to go through deleting books one buy one using the 903 gui. So, upon recovery I will re-install the firmware and be very prudent in moving to and fro books.
Is this normal? Do you have the same thing happening?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hi Watnog,

I'm sure there is something wrong with your Library organization.It's probably a very good Idea to reflash the firmware, and if you have it still at hand I would start by downgrading to the last working Version (2.0.3?)
How do you add / remove books? Do you use Calibre or ADE, or simply via the explorer? External SD card or internal memory? I had similar behaviour when changing large amounts (300+) of books on my SD card and when hooked in the splash screen I simply turned it off, removed the card and restarted. After a succesful restart I switched to the main menu, shutdown again, reinserted the card and restarted, then accessed the library by means of the "favourites" folder, because there are only two or three books in it that I never move (manuals and alltime favourites). Maybe this will help you as well.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Watnog, if you can access your PB903 again: when you choose "Library" in the main menu which "under-menu" of the library opens, "Files" or "Library"? After I've switched to "Files" I've never experienced any problems with deleting one or a group of files again.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
903, boot, hung, problem, startup