Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #106
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I installed the latest 2.5.1 app OK , got it working after a few errors here and there.. I'm using Windows 2000 and I had to replace the xcopy DLL; and I had to select "1" page on the PDF options.

Nice app, good job!

This application does what it says, but my only gripe is if someone can put a GUI around this Command Line? I thought I had gone back in time to 1985 or something...

F.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #107
chaocai
chaocai began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
guys, I am new...Had a huge and maybe stupid question:

I downloaded, extracted, and installed RasterFarian v2.5, ran once of the configuration, everything seems fine. When I started to do conversion, I got a windows dialogue error: "PDF Library - Evaluation period expired, please contact pdfsupport@pdf-tools.com"...Am I doing anything wrong, what am I suppose to do. If I click ok, my converted lrf will simply be blank.
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #108
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
EDIT: Nevermind, I just found out myself by looking at your "kernel-processing.cmd"

Last edited by IceHand; 08-11-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #109
nc2
nc2 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY EREADER
Is there a way to split a page into 3 parts (instead of 2) in RasterFarian? I would love to make the fonts somewhat larger than RasterFarian now produces.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 AM   #110
enjoilax
enjoilax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Could someone please write a tutorial for this? I searched all over this forum and can't find one
Advert
Old 08-10-2007, 04:59 AM   #111
nmackay
nmackay began at the beginning.

Looks to be a great program - one that will make a huge amount of stuff available for the Reader. But how to get from the 4 files on the May 16 post in this thread to a working version? I have searched for instructions comprehensible to non-geeks & find only a few bleats like mine requesting tutorials. Even the unpacking of the 4? zipped files is a bit strange & what emerges for me is a program that seems to be a 2.14 version that outputs blank pages. Of course the geeks will be shaking their heads in disbelief at my ignorance, but I want to spend time driving the car rather than assembling it.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #112
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
There was no way to tell [ImageMagick] "no, you stupid crap, the sony reader can only use THESE four colors."
Oh, but there is a way, just look at the -map option (though the dithering is not as good as NetPBMs). Honestly, I think the ImageMagick documentation is quite alright.

Last edited by IceHand; 08-10-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #113
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocai View Post
guys, I am new...Had a huge and maybe stupid question:

I downloaded, extracted, and installed RasterFarian v2.5, ran once of the configuration, everything seems fine. When I started to do conversion, I got a windows dialogue error: "PDF Library - Evaluation period expired, please contact pdfsupport@pdf-tools.com"...Am I doing anything wrong, what am I suppose to do. If I click ok, my converted lrf will simply be blank.
select "1" page on the PDF page number options 1-32....

F.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #114
EditorJack
EditorJack began at the beginning.

Installing RasterFarian

Sorry to be so dense, but why are the RasterFarian files labeled part1, part2, and so on? Do I need to unzip and install all of the parts? Only one of them? I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jack Lyon
The Editorium
http://www.editorium.com
Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJack View Post
Sorry to be so dense, but why are the RasterFarian files labeled part1, part2, and so on? Do I need to unzip and install all of the parts? Only one of them? I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jack Lyon
The Editorium
http://www.editorium.com
They are compressed using RAR format due to the size limitation on attachments. Go get a copy of WinRAR and you can decompress. Just put all the files in the same directory and select the first part to uncompress and it will uncompress from them all.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #116
jaffer1979
Enthusiast
jaffer1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: SonyPrs-500/Palm T|X
I got my prs-500 because the guy at the store said it would be perfect for my extensive pdf collection at home. Every one who will be reading this right now knows exactly how I felt then when I got it home fired it up and opened my first pdf book. After downloading this my world is right again. You have made me a happy man! In my sad little world that makes you a god of gadgetry. Thank you so very much!

Nick Neary

Last edited by jaffer1979; 08-17-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #117
jaffer1979
Enthusiast
jaffer1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: SonyPrs-500/Palm T|X
Problems with magazine pdfs.

I don't know if you have run into this before or not but I love the free magazines at http://www.qmags.com they download in pdf format but rasterfarian 2.5.1 will not convert them. I will attach one to this post not to worry though as far as copyright these are FREE mags. When i am at the preview screen it wants to know which page I want to preview 1-0 and if I skip when it does the conversion it outputs one blank page. Thanks in advanced!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Software_Jul_2007.PDF (1.64 MB, 1071 views)
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffer1979 View Post
I don't know if you have run into this before or not but I love the free magazines at http://www.qmags.com they download in pdf format but rasterfarian 2.5.1 will not convert them. I will attach one to this post not to worry though as far as copyright these are FREE mags. When i am at the preview screen it wants to know which page I want to preview 1-0 and if I skip when it does the conversion it outputs one blank page. Thanks in advanced!
The reason it doesn't work with that PDF is because that PDF is secured. And you cannot edit a secured PDF.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #119
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Quote:
I got my prs-500 because the guy at the store said it would be perfect for my extensive pdf collection at home. Every one who will be reading this right now knows exactly how I felt then when I got it home fired it up and opened my first pdf book. After downloading this my world is right again. You have made me a happy man! In my sad little world that makes you a god of gadgetry. Thank you so very much!

Nick Neary
wow :-[, thanks

as for protected magazines... the SciAm magazines i subscribe to also have protection and I designed rasterfarian to bypass it. I think your error is due to something else. oh well, rasterfarian is a pos at heart. I suggest you also try PDFRead. It uses the same techniques (*caugh**caugh*) but with different means. It's not that great either, though.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #120
medavidson
medavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS500
Everyone who is using the current version of this product needs to make a choice. Alex is using a commercial tool as part of the conversion process, a tool which has not been paid for (thus the "trial expired" message) and cannot be distributed as part of a product even if it WAS paid for.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the effort that Alex has put into producing this. However, distribution of a trial version of a commercial tool like this is just wrong, and Alex is quite aware of what he has done. I'm not going to reproduce his reply here, but I will say that I have no intention of using this tool while it violates the license of pdf-tools (the company that makes pdcat.exe).

If you are using Rasterfarian, then you need to decide whether you want to encourage this kind of behavior. I certainly won't. I love my reader but I'm not going to break the law to read PDFs on it.

I'm sure there are going to be some people who insult me for taking this position, or tell me "Who is it hurting?" or some other justification. And you are certainly within your right to do so. Remember, though, that people go to jail or pay fines for distributing illegal copies of software and I have no intention of doing either one of those things. I also don't want to see MobileRead.com get into trouble for a user using their site to distribute an illegal copy of a program.

Mark

Last edited by medavidson; 08-23-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added note...
Closed Thread