Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
ipsg
ipsg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Planning on a new ebook app--any suggestions?

greetings everyone
i'm planning to write a new ebook app that syncs between the mac and the iphone

format-wise, i'm thinking of epub, fb2 and txt
features will include online catalog (feedbook, gutenberg, any suggestions?)
a scrolling reading interface, highlighting/annotating, etc.
the most important feature will be the ability to sync between the mac and the iphone--reading progress and bookmarks are automatically updated so that when one gets home, he can choose to continue reading with his home computer

any suggestions or features that you want the most?
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
ipsg

of course you'll also be able to add your own files to the iphone
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I know it is page-based, rather than the scrolling interface your mentioned, but you may want to take a look at FBReader. The sources are available, so you may be able to make some use of the format handling they have already done.

I am a bit surprised we have not yet seen a port of FBReader for iPhone/iTouch.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
ipsg

thanks Bandit
i'll take a look at FBReader
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: zaurus->palm->iPad->Sony PRS-T1,T2,T3->Kobo Forma&Likebook Ares
HI there,

I used FBReader on a Sharp Zaurus for quite a while, (before that, Opiereader). The killer feature for me is the way it allows you to select a word and look it up in a dictionary. For me, one of the best things about ebooks is that it allows one so easily look up stuff. Stanza can do so, but only if you are online (Im on a iPod touch and rarely connected, except for downloading stuff) and only for english, apparently.

Wish you good progress with your App.

Ctop
ctop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
support to ePub 'copier' from mac/pc to iPod/iPhone would be nice.
option to add one's own offline/online catalogue would also be great.
and if possible, support for prc/mobi?
Oh, and a good sorting/cataloguing/listing like that of Stanza.
Where are you going to put your App? On iTunes or Cydia?

cheers
tlpp
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
ipsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctop View Post
HI there,

I used FBReader on a Sharp Zaurus for quite a while, (before that, Opiereader). The killer feature for me is the way it allows you to select a word and look it up in a dictionary. For me, one of the best things about ebooks is that it allows one so easily look up stuff. Stanza can do so, but only if you are online (Im on a iPod touch and rarely connected, except for downloading stuff) and only for english, apparently.

Wish you good progress with your App.

Ctop
Hi Ctop,
What was the format of the dictionary you were using?
In other words, where did you get those dictionary databases?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
ipsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
support to ePub 'copier' from mac/pc to iPod/iPhone would be nice.
option to add one's own offline/online catalogue would also be great.
and if possible, support for prc/mobi?
Oh, and a good sorting/cataloguing/listing like that of Stanza.
Where are you going to put your App? On iTunes or Cydia?

cheers
tlpp
I'm planning to build something like iTunes's "manual" mode, in which you can drag the book from your book library and drop it onto the device + the option to sync the reading progress back to the desktop app
I don't have many .prc or .mobi books myself, but there's a possibility to implement an importer to import those books into the library.
The app will be released through iTunes
Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I can also vouch for FBReader, one of the better apps out there.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #10
z0rr0
z0rr0 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsg View Post
Hi Ctop,
What was the format of the dictionary you were using?
In other words, where did you get those dictionary databases?
I found this topic worth writing, so i finally registered
I also think dictionary support is a requiste. I prefer ereader over stanza only because of better dict support.
As for the format there are lots of free dictionaries in stardict format to be found in the net (check http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php), so I personally believe that support for stardict would be the best. Your app should be able to look up in several dicts at the time. Bookz Pro does it quite well, but lacks support for html dicts yet - should be implemented soon according to it's developer e-mail.
Scrolling reading interface - maybe as an option? I personally prefer paging with thumb flip, as in ereader.
I keep my fingers crossed for your app - still looking for perfect one
Bye
z0rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
ipsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rr0 View Post
I found this topic worth writing, so i finally registered
I also think dictionary support is a requiste. I prefer ereader over stanza only because of better dict support.
As for the format there are lots of free dictionaries in stardict format to be found in the net (check http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php), so I personally believe that support for stardict would be the best. Your app should be able to look up in several dicts at the time. Bookz Pro does it quite well, but lacks support for html dicts yet - should be implemented soon according to it's developer e-mail.
Scrolling reading interface - maybe as an option? I personally prefer paging with thumb flip, as in ereader.
I keep my fingers crossed for your app - still looking for perfect one
Bye
Noted--thanks for your suggestions
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
Starganderfish
Starganderfish began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
Sounds great. For me the key factors all relate to managing a large ebook library.
Being able to load multiple ebooks in one go is essential - clicking and dragging hundreds of files one at a time is a nightmare. Calibre can apparently do this (it's a desktop library manager, not an actual reader though).
Secondly is managing the large list of titles on your phone. Touch screen scrolling is cute but it's a pain when you want to read "z for Zachariah" and you need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to find it. Bookz has an alphabetical list on the side of the screen (like the iPhone contacts directory) that let's you jump straight to a particular letter in you book list.
If you can produce an ebook program that can read multiple formats and solve these library management issues you'll be onto a winner.
Starganderfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Builtin dictionary lookup is a must for me (especially for non-English speaking people).

Ability to jump to a title by first alphabet selection is also a must.

Full-content eNews retrieval feature like the desktop Mobireader will also make your software a killer one.

Other features are minor to me.

Thanks
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, iphone, mac, sync