Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #1
Envargm
Envargm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Forgot itunes backup password

I backed up my iPad with iTunes and there are a lot of ebooks included in it. When i tried to restore it, iTunes keeps asking me for password. From my understanding, I never added a password. then I input the passwords that i used frequently but no one is correct.

Is there any way to recover the password? thanks
Envargm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envargm View Post
I backed up my iPad with iTunes and there are a lot of ebooks included in it. When i tried to restore it, iTunes keeps asking me for password. From my understanding, I never added a password. then I input the passwords that i used frequently but no one is correct.

Use your Apple password.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Tomorn
Tomorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
If your password is stored in Keychain access, you can recover it by following this post:
http://www.top-password.com/blog/rec...ssword-on-mac/

Otherwise you have to use password recovery tools like iTunesKey, elcomsoft, etc.
Tomorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
Envargm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Use your Apple password.

Dale
I tried the apple password, it doesn't work
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The backup password is the password of your iTunes/iCloud account. I'd suggest contacting Apple customer service if you're having difficulty, but it really is that password!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The backup password is the password of your iTunes/iCloud account.
This is not true. The password you use if you choose to encrypt an iDevice backup made using iTunes is not your AppleID/iCloud password. If forgotten and not retrievable by Keychain shenanigans, there is no official or Apple-provided way to retrive the password. The backup can only be unlocked using hacking tools (as mentioned by PPs) that rely on brute-force and dictionary attacks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is not true. The password you use if you choose to encrypt an iDevice backup made using iTunes is not your AppleID/iCloud password. If forgotten and not retrievable by Keychain shenanigans, there is no official or Apple-provided way to retrive the password. The backup can only be unlocked using hacking tools (as mentioned by PPs) that rely on brute-force and dictionary attacks.
Hmmm. When I get a new iThing and I restore a previous backup onto it, it always asks me for my iCloud password to access the backup. Are we perhaps talking at cross purposes here?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Hmmm. When I get a new iThing and I restore a previous backup onto it, it always asks me for my iCloud password to access the backup. Are we perhaps talking at cross purposes here?
You appear to be talking about an iCloud backup. We're talking about an encrypted backup made with iTunes.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
Envargm

Quote:
The backup password is the password of your iTunes/iCloud account. I'd suggest contacting Apple customer service if you're having difficulty, but it really is that password!
Thanks Harry. I double checked and i am sure it is not Apple id password at least in my case. Apple support told me it is out of their service for this. They are only responsible for apple id password.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #10
Jiousanla
Jiousanla began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envargm View Post

If you can't figure out the password you will have to restore the phone as New, then reinstall your content. You will lose any app data.

other way is try some third party application like UUkeys iTunes backup unlocker, Jisosoft and iSeepassword.

http://www.uukeys.com/itunes-backup-unlocker.html

Jihosoft:
http://www.jihosoft.com/itunes/itunes-backup-unlocker.html

iSeePassword:
http://www.iseepassword.com/unlock-i...-password.html

Each tools has the different features, but they're not free.

Last edited by Jiousanla; 10-20-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Jiousanla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
tberty
tberty began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorn View Post
If your password is stored in Keychain access, you can recover it by following this post:
http://www.top-password.com/blog/rec...ssword-on-mac/

Otherwise you have to use password recovery tools like iTunesKey, elcomsoft, etc.
I'm in the same situation, but the method doesn't work. I don't know how to restore my iPhone.
tberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
Appleacn
Appleacn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Have you backed up your files in iCloud before? It seems you set up to encrypt your backup while creating it. If you forget them, it is hard to recover your backup content unless you have an iCloud backup. But if you backup your file on Mac OS, you might be able to find out the passport in the Keychain Access application. Hope this can do a favor for you and help you recover lost data from iPhone backup.
Appleacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do know that you are replying to a thread that's almost a year old? If this problem hasn't been solved by now, it won't ever be solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
pshute
Enthusiast
pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iPad Air
And another year later, just for the record, this is what I believe has happened.

When you backup via iTunes, you can optionally set a password, which you will require if you want to restore that backup. If your devices has an encrypted profile on it, which is typically done on company devices to control the configuration, setting a password is not optional when you backup, so it prompts you for one.

But this password is not just for that backup, as you'd expect. It's for all further backups of that device. It will not prompt for a password for any later backups, it will just use that one. And you won't be able to restore any later backups unless you know it. Not knowing this is how it works, people don't realise they must carefully record the password in order for their backups to be any use at all.

It's really dumb. There's a thread about it on the Apple forums that's been running for years. People reply, proclaiming they have the answer - the password is your windows password, the password is your appleid, the password is your original appleid. But they're wrong, that just happens to be the password they chose.

If you're in this situation, try to think what password you might have set back when you did your *first* backup. It could have been years ago. If it was prompting you for a password, you probably made something up on the spot to get past that point, thinking you only need to remember it for a few minutes after resetting your phone or something. Could be 1234, could be your windows password, etc.
pshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
iPad Forgot itunes backup password

I bought a second hand ipad on ebay. The device had been reset and worked fine, but when I went to try to do an encrypted backup in iTunes it wanted a password. I guess sometime in the past someone had created an encrypted backup and I had no idea what the passcode was and it wasn't on the documentation from the seller. I discovered Apple has finally addressed the issue if you have IOS 11 or greater. You can use the reset feature now. 1st use iCloud backup to have a backup just in case. Go to settings > general > reset. Tap to reset All settings and enter your ios passcode you unlock your screen with.
Follow the steps to reset. This reset amazingly does NOT wipe out the user data or passwords but it does reset custom settings like display brightness, home screen layouts, wall paper and other customized settings and most importantly it removes the encrypted backup password.
Unfortunately you can't use the old backups because you still don't have the password but you can use itunes to create a new password for an encrypted backup. It was a pain to re-customize but I could now do a full backup.
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, ipad, itunes