Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
sahbi
Enthusiast
sahbi is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony:psr 650 , KOBO:aura h2O, KOBO:Aura One
What is? if Aura one gets bricked

The title says it all. what can I do then? Has kobo any advanced procedure to restore it? I must know this before start tinkering with it. Thanks.
sahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
I'd also like to know.
I believe tinkering with the device invalidates the warrantry.
Can Kobo tell if you've if modified the software?
Would they even look for signs of hacking, patching and the like?
All I know is that a factory restore can be executed but would that fix a totally unresponsive device in all cases?

Performing a manual factory reset. Connect your eReader to a power source by doing one of the following: Press and hold the power button until the power light on the top-right corner of your eReader turns off. Release the power button. Press and hold the power button on your eReader for 30 seconds.
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbi View Post
The title says it all. what can I do then? Has kobo any advanced procedure to restore it? I must know this before start tinkering with it. Thanks.
If you brick it to the point that you are unable to perform a factory reset, it makes a great paperweight.

You can find the KA1 manual factory reset procedure here: Resetting your Kobo Aura ONE or Kobo Aura Edition 2.

As for Kobo checking if you have modified the software? An interesting possibility. I suspect you'd need to try installing Android before it would be noticed but I've seen enough smartphones where rooting/jailbreaking/loading firmware not supported by the telco has been considered reason enough to invalidate the warranty.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
All I know is that a factory restore can be executed but would that fix a totally unresponsive device in all cases?
From experience, I can say no. A firmware update bricked one of my Kobo ereaders and it would not do a manual factory reset. Kobo replaced it under warranty which made me much happier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
sahbi
Enthusiast
sahbi is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony:psr 650 , KOBO:aura h2O, KOBO:Aura One
I think being unable to reset the kobo to a factory state and this, from every state and in every situation sucks. My understanding of "Factory reset" is when nothing more goes and the device becomes completely unresponsive then I have the possiblilty to bring it back to life and fix the errors, but kobo puts the constraints that the OS is running to perform what they call software factory reset and then they have what they call a "Manual" reset, and now l am a bit confused, because the previous one(software reset) was not automatic, it is also a "manual reset" if I trigger it by some gestures, but the confusion becomes total is when I look for my beloved "hardware" reset and don't find it in the "Aura one", and in the h2o it's not doing what it's supposed to do(when the device is completely dead, to put it back to a factory state). And now comes, kobo is frequently updating the firmware nowadays, a doom scenario will be a corrupted or buggy update(Microsoft has, Apple has, Linux kernel has ...), bricking all Aura ones at once. Ooooch...
sahbi is offline   Reply With Quote