Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-27-2015, 04:19 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
OK, I'm well aware that many of you are more sophisticated than both Jean the Shrimp Shrimpton and me, but could someone please explain to me the meaning of the last line of A Christmas Tragedy? I don't get it.
Obviously, big spoiler

Spoiler:
Miss Marple says of the murdered girl: "Perhaps it was better for her to die while life was still happy than it would have been for her to live on, unhappy and disillusioned, in a world that would have seemed suddenly horrible. She loved that scoundrel and trusted him. She never found him out."

then 'the famous, the beautiful, the successful Jane Helier' says "Well, then, she was all right. Quite all right. I wish—"

and doesn't go on. After which the last line is Miss Marple's

“I see, my dear,” she said very gently. “I see.”

That is, Jane Helier did find out about the scoundrel she loved and now must 'live on, unhappy and disillusioned'.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #17
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Paul!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I enjoyed the trio of stories in "A Pulpy Little Christmas". Perhaps the second item was a little too much like an O Henry tale but still pleasant.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far, there have been a couple which stood out for me as being true Christmas stories. One was The Christmas Bogie, which I mentioned above. The other was The Butler's Christmas Eve. And I guess the Ellery Queen as well.

Right now it seems to me that many just mention Christmas Eve in passing, and then get on with the story.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #20
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Some of us consider yesterday to be the end of the Christmas season, as it was the Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.

So I have put the book away, with 11 stories left for next year.

I agree with fantasyfan that I liked the pulpy stories the best, but that came as no surprise.

In addition to the stories mentioned above in post #19, I particularly enjoyed Peter Todd's Herlock Sholmes's Christmas Case.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Some of us consider yesterday to be the end of the Christmas season, as it was the Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.

In addition to the stories mentioned above in post #19, I particularly enjoyed Peter Todd's Herlock Sholmes's Christmas Case.
Yes, those were quite enjoyable too.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:06 AM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I still have many more of these stories to read.

So I will be spending this Christmas season carrying on with this book, and I invite everyone so inclined to join me!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Great idea.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I finished last night. The stories which I had saved till last were the "scary" selections.

Re-reading this thread, I think I could re-read the stories from last year and not remember the endings!