Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Whispersyncing with Personal Documents from Kindle apps has periodically broken in the past. I suspect when Amazon does an update they might not always test Whispersync with Personal Documents. That is just a guess. Amazon does have a history of breaking things with updates, but they usually get them corrected with the next update.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
perler
Enthusiast
perler began at the beginning.

Device: perler
the same here on a nexus 4 and 7 - syncing is definitely broken in the latest version.. use this version: http://www.androiddrawer.com/7839/do.../#.UdNDUvkwdWw
perler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
GaidinBDJ
GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
FYI: 4.0.2.1 sync works for me, if you don't want to go back to 3.8. Don't forget to turn auto-update off in the Play Store to keep your old version. If you use adb, you can force a downgrade with the "-d" flag, otherwise just uninstall first.
GaidinBDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
perler
Enthusiast

ah, ok, this one was't available for download yesterday..
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
I had a backup of 4.0.2.1 to go back to until amazon fixes the app. Thank goodness.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Yes, glad I had a copy of 4.0 around. I noticed that my non-Amazon purchases (with ASIN set via Calibre) were no longer syncing furthest page read among devices, and remembered that the Kindle app had updated recently.

Hopefully this breakage is inadvertent and not a conscious decision by Amazon.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #22
perler
Enthusiast

unfortunately, even the latest update doesn't restore the functionality. I think we must assume, that amazon is shredding sync for sideloaded documents..
Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sad but probably true. :-(
Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm pretty much used to manually moving to the correct location when I switch devices on anyway, especially as I tend not to leave wifi on on my Kindle. Removing whisper sync functionality will not entice me to buy my books from Amazon. Apart from the DRM its the font size issue that i often see that annoys me, I bought a book this week from Amazon, the font could only be read on the second highest font size, which is too high tbh, yet my normal size was tiny.

I could have bought that book from Allromance, downloaded a mobi file which would have worked perfectly on my Kindle.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I bought a book this week from Amazon, the font could only be read on the second highest font size, which is too high tbh, yet my normal size was tiny.
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon. It's the publisher who determines the font sizing, not Amazon.

If you do find a book with a default font size that's too big or too small, do a conversion in Calibre and set the base font size to whatever you deem appropriate (I generally use 12pt).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
GaidinBDJ
GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GaidinBDJ , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by perler View Post
unfortunately, even the latest update doesn't restore the functionality. I think we must assume, that amazon is shredding sync for sideloaded documents..
It has been broken and fixed before. I'm not sure what triggers it, but the fact that it's blocked at the client end (as opposed to Amazon just blocking it outright) seems to indicate to me that it's not a policy change.
GaidinBDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
perler
Enthusiast

I see it the other way around, looks like they disabled it on the client to see if they get a reaction. if yes, they can always re-enable it.

the problem is now, that only the most recent version of the Kindle app works in android 4.3 - all older versions crash.. so, if you want to keep syncing, use the 4.0.2.1 Kindle app and jelly bean 4.2 for now..
Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #28
Waitingforatrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by perler View Post
I see it the other way around, looks like they disabled it on the client to see if they get a reaction. if yes, they can always re-enable it.

the problem is now, that only the most recent version of the Kindle app works in android 4.3 - all older versions crash.. so, if you want to keep syncing, use the 4.0.2.1 Kindle app and jelly bean 4.2 for now..
I noticed that so went back to 4.2 for now
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaidinBDJ View Post
It has been broken and fixed before. I'm not sure what triggers it, but the fact that it's blocked at the client end (as opposed to Amazon just blocking it outright) seems to indicate to me that it's not a policy change.
I don't believe it's a policy change either -- as you note, they could easily break things at the server end for non-Amazon ASINs, so even older clients wouldn't work.

That doesn't mean I expect it to be fixed. I don't think there are many true "sideloaders with generated ASINs" as a percentage of the Kindle user population, so whether things work for us or not isn't something they worry about.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
Waitingforatrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I don't believe it's a policy change either -- as you note, they could easily break things at the server end for non-Amazon ASINs, so even older clients wouldn't work.

That doesn't mean I expect it to be fixed. I don't think there are many true "sideloaders with generated ASINs" as a percentage of the Kindle user population, so whether things work for us or not isn't something they worry about.
I use amazon ASINs from their website and insert using mobi2mobi. Am not sure what you are referring to by generated ones. Latest version still breaks sync capability for me .