Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Reinstalling Calibre and had a question.

Hey everyone, question for you all.

For some reason, when I 'trim' covers and 'Save to Disk', the covers are reverting back to the original cover, pre-trimmed in the output file. For example, there were covers with HUGE borders with the actual cover right in the middle. I trim it, and it expands the cover and removes the white margins. I 'Save to Disc', but the tiny cover and huge margins seem to be there once more.

Also, for some reason, I am not able to read actual metadata titles with Mobipocket or Adobe Digital Editions.

For example, I have the metadata saved as 'Sherrilyn Kenyon - Series - Title', and in both the mobi and epub format readers, I only see 'Author - Title'. No series info whatsoever.

Any advice?
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you complete the metadata edit (not cancel) after the trim?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you complete the metadata edit (not cancel) after the trim?
XD I knew it would be you who answered first.

And yes, yes I did. It even updated the cover in the side-panel after pressing 'Okay' when editing the metadata. However, I 'Saved format to a single folder' and when I opened the book that should have had the saved data included, it had the original cover.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post
XD I knew it would be you who answered first.

And yes, yes I did. It even updated the cover in the side-panel after pressing 'Okay' when editing the metadata. However, I 'Saved format to a single folder' and when I opened the book that should have had the saved data included, it had the original cover.
Sounds like you did all the correct steps.
We will need to wait for the master to check in.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
For some reason, when I 'trim' covers and 'Save to Disk', the covers are reverting back to the original cover, pre-trimmed in the output file.
In Preferences - Saving books to disk make sure the Update metadata in saved copies is checked (see attached). This may solve both of your problems, but in case it does not read further.

Quote:
Also, for some reason, I am not able to read actual metadata titles with Mobipocket or Adobe Digital Editions.

For example, I have the metadata saved as 'Sherrilyn Kenyon - Series - Title', and in both the mobi and epub format readers, I only see 'Author - Title'. No series info whatsoever.
To affect the metadata for Save to disk you need to create a metadata plugboard (see attached). The Save template in Saving books to disk only affects the folder structure and file name of the saved book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	savingbookstodisk.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	104761   Click image for larger version

Name:	metadataplugboard.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	104762  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Dullahir
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sounds like you did all the correct steps.
We will need to wait for the master to check in.
Will do.

Hmm! thanks for the vital info, Doc!! I will def. check that out, and yeah, I'm guessing your first solution may work, because plugboards saved books properly that were in Series, yet with books that weren't they were viewed as []Stephen King -Rose Red.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Dullahir
Zealot

Hmm. For some reason, that didn't work either. Same problem, even with 'Update Media in Several Copies' checked. No altered covers.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Dullahir
Zealot

Update: Something I discovered, if the books were originally in .epub format (the default conversion format for Calibre on my system) then the covers WILL properly edit. But if it's a .PDF file, they will not.

BUT if I convert the .PDF to .PDF, the cover will change as well..

Last edited by Dullahir; 04-23-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
PDFs dont have covers, so they cannot be changed when updating metadata. A conversion inserts a new first page into a pdf containing the cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
Dullahir
Zealot

That's really strange, because I had no trouble editing covers in PDF before. What would you suggest I do?

Also, I'd really rather not convert pdf TO pdf because it screws up the paragraphs.

It makes them look

Like This

Instead of proper paragraph structure
like this.

Last edited by Dullahir; 04-24-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is nothing you can do. calibre has never been able to set covers in existing PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Dullahir
Zealot

I see. Well, that's the way it is then. Thank you for that information, Kovid.