Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
tcatrainer
tcatrainer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
Kindle 3 keyboad wont unlock after 15 seconds

I had this issue a few months ago.

I tried holding the slide button for 15 seconds and longer
contacted amazon - out of warranty and they wont do anything.

I let the kindle 3 sit for about 4 months and always showed the same screen saver.

I finally opened it up today and noticed a reset wording on the PCB but no actual button. I removed the battery for about 10 minutes and the screen still showed the same screensaver with no battery connected for 10 minutes?

Is the image burned in the screen?

I put the battery back in and charged it for about 30 min.

I tried doing the reset again. I hold the slider and it shows a solid green and then flashes green 2 times then nothing.

Then I tried again now first 5 seconds no color then solid green for 15 seconds then no color.

I few months before I had the lockup screen problem I had jailbroken.

Now I want to get it working again as the paperwhite has no speakers or audio out jack and no text to speech option. I assumed the paperwhite would have more features than the older version not less.

Any issues how to fix?
tcatrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
tcatrainer

I just connected to a PC WINDows 7and It does recognize the kindle. I am able to browse and copy off files.

I dont believe it did connect before on a different PC

The jailbreak file is there

$Id: info.txt 7669 2011-10-19 00:14:54Z NiLuJe $

Hello! If you're wondering what all this weird stuff on your Kindle is,
I'm a jailbreak hack! There's a good chance that I came from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I'm at version 0.10.N, so, if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need
the uninstaller from that version.

-- NiLuJe
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatrainer View Post

Is the image burned in the screen?
No such thing in eink. Eink screens will always display the last thing that was on it when the battery died. The screen won't refresh until you get it to start up again.

How long did you charge the battery for? With it being completely depleted, I'd go for at least overnight, if not for a day or more. On a wall charger, not using the USB port on your computer.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
You hacked it, you broke it, YOU fix it...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Sounds like either the screen is broken (read: cracked, smashed) or the screen driving circuitry is fried...
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
tcatrainer

I don't see any cracks. I have it charging now for 8 hrs.

Maybe there is a crack under the bezel? If it is the circuitry and I change the screen it will still be broken correct?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
tcatrainer

I disconnected the battery after charging for 6-8 hours. I looked carefully i do not see any cracks in the screen.

will unbricking help?
Should I disconnect the screen from the circuit board?

Should I unhack? How do I do this?
Did amazon brick it when they saw it was jailbroken?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
tcatrainer

I disconnected all 4 ribbon connectors and the battery from the circuit board for 30 minutes. The lock screen was showing. then I reconnected and now the sscreen looks all white like it is still on. I can see a faint outline of the image that was on the lock screen.

Holding the switch for a 20 seconds did nothing Unplugged and also while plugged into wall. I will leave plugged in overnight and see if anything happens.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatrainer View Post
Did amazon brick it when they saw it was jailbroken?
No.

It doesn't sound like a broken screen. There are usually tell-tale signs, like vertical/horizontal/diagonal lines that do not go away.

It could very well be a problem with the hack. You might wish to post your query in the developer's forum.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
You hacked it, you broke it, YOU fix it...
Doesn't seem very helpful.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Screen sounds fine but it does sound like it's bricked in some way. I'm having similar issues plus mine is randomly restarting/freezing. I might need to flash the firmware from what I'm gathering.
Did you try a factory reset?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How can he try a Factory Reset if his Kindle won't boot, given that Factory Reset is a menu option on the Kindle itself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #13
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How can he try a Factory Reset if his Kindle won't boot, given that Factory Reset is a menu option on the Kindle itself?
"I just connected to a PC WINDows 7and It does recognize the kindle. I am able to browse and copy off files."

Maybe it's booting but not displaying. Given this, one could nav blindly through the menus. Something like:
  1. home - in case it's in a book or other non-home view
  2. menu
  3. down, down, down, enter
  4. menu
  5. down, down, enter

If that sequence is wrong due to menu item availability a generous application of screencaps might be helpful.

I'm not convinced a reset will do anything but it may be possible to perform.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
"I just connected to a PC WINDows 7and It does recognize the kindle. I am able to browse and copy off files."

Maybe it's booting but not displaying. Given this, one could nav blindly through the menus. Something like:
  1. home - in case it's in a book or other non-home view
  2. menu
  3. down, down, down, enter
  4. menu
  5. down, down, enter

If that sequence is wrong due to menu item availability a generous application of screencaps might be helpful.

I'm not convinced a reset will do anything but it may be possible to perform.
I have a K3 with offers handy. This will have you navigate from menu to search, and then to settings. You then would have to hit menu, down, down, down, and enter to hit "reset to factory defaults".

This may be different on non-special offer models, so grain of salt.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
tcatrainer

OK I left it plugged in for months. Ocassionally I would notice the power light would go to orange and sometime green.

The screen was showing 50 shades of gray. (Not the book.) horizontal stripes of different shades.

I tried taking the battery out yesterday and all connectors I saw. Again the screen stayed with the gray stripes. Then it was working! somewhat. I could see and navigate menus. The were some gray lines but less. Then it went back to just light gray lines.

FYI after I hacked it worked fine for months.

Tags
bricked kindle 3, kindel 3, kindle keyboard