Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
It is; when I was typing my original questions, I had an image of the update-provider hack locking and closing the door behind itself and realising it left the keys inside. Which, I suppose, is kind of like leaving everything as it should be (vanilla 3.1), but I wanted to make sure.

But yeah, I was assuming that when (hypothetically) I uninstalled the update-provider hack from 3.1, I would have removed the SS hack and jailbreak beforehand. But I was wondering if the state things were in at the end of the procedure would really be transparent to, say, a 3.2 update, or whether it might not run because something was 'wrong.'

Guess I'm leaving wireless off for a while longer.
Obviously since we are dealing with HACKS, things are not entirely clean and neat. They are also potentially risky.

Wifi is also off here. I've been downloading Amazon freebies to the computer and sideloading. Although this morning I updated my html file which is basically a redo of my Blackberry homepage - links I use and like. I had copied it to the k3 for use in its browser but now I'm reluctant to test it since it needs wifi.

So has NOBODY tested this as of yet?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
So has NOBODY tested this as of yet?
I already unhacked and installed 3.1, so too late for me.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
I already unhacked and installed 3.1, so too late for me.
DOG-gone-it!

I'm teetering on the edge.........
Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
Shbek
Shbek began at the beginning.

I know, first post, but I follow these forums a lot for various developer content. I obviously don't normally comment, but as no one else has tried this, I figured I would.

Anyhow, I installed this, switched it to "amazon", updated to 3.1, then switched it back to "hack". I haven't actually installed anything, I will when I have a bit more time and find something interesting, but the option to update is indeed there. Everything else seems to be functioning normally.

Oh, I was also connected via wifi for quite awhile last night with "hack" enabled and it didn't update. I've been reading some people have had it auto update on them. It didn't download the update for me, so I'm not sure if I even ran into that.

Last edited by Shbek; 02-20-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Shbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
alison87
alison87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I'm using this hack to avoid getting the 3.1 upgrade pushed. No problems so far. I just wanted to use wireless again and i didn't feel like installing USB networking. I've been using UNIX/Linux for over 10 years but the experts here have talked up such a storm about how anyone using USB networking is liable to brick their Kindle i figured this would be safer for now. I plan to uninstall the hack and upgrade when a 3.1 jailbreak is available.
alison87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
FF2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison87 View Post
I'm using this hack to avoid getting the 3.1 upgrade pushed. No problems so far. I just wanted to use wireless again and i didn't feel like installing USB networking. I've been using UNIX/Linux for over 10 years but the experts here have talked up such a storm about how anyone using USB networking is liable to brick their Kindle i figured this would be safer for now. I plan to uninstall the hack and upgrade when a 3.1 jailbreak is available.
Oh, now that is a nice idea. Obviously, hoping that someone can hack 3.1 and subsequent firmware updates. My issue is I would like to try the Page and Periodical new features so that would require 3.1
Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Is it ok if I use your idea in my Kindle 3.1 jailbreak? I'll give you credits in the readme, and the code won't be exactly the same.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #23
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Is it ok if I use your idea in my Kindle 3.1 jailbreak? I'll give you credits in the readme, and the code won't be exactly the same.
Are talking to me ? If yes, then you have my permission to use my ideas + code as long as you publish the source code of your hack.
Although I haven't mentioned any license in the README, usually anything I release is GPLed.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-21-2011 at 01:36 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I've noticed a bug in your script. Amazon looks for "KEYFILES=$(ls /etc/uks/*pem)" aka, files ending with pem in the keys folder. Your keys end with ".hack" or ".amazon", so they won't work on < 3.1.

Also, here's my version of your script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

NAME=update-provider
KEY_DIR=/etc/uks
CONF_DIR=/mnt/us/$NAME

HACKS="HACK_UPDATES"
AMAZON="AMAZON_UPDATES"
SELECTION="amazon"

start() {
	# Make sure extra files aren't considered
	ACTIVE=$(find "$CONF_DIR" -maxdepth 1 -type f | sort -r | grep "$HACKS\|$AMAZON" | head -n 1)
	ACTIVE=${ACTIVE##*/}
	if [ "$ACTIVE" == "$HACKS" ]; then
		SELECTION="hack"
	fi

# Check if user selection changed
	cmp $KEY_DIR/pubprodkey01.pem $KEY_DIR/pubprodkey01.$SELECTION.pem 2>&1 >/dev/null
	if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
		mntroot_rw
		cp -f "$KEY_DIR/pubprodkey01.$SELECTION.pem" "$KEY_DIR/pubprodkey01.pem"
		cp -f "$KEY_DIR/pubprodkey02.$SELECTION.pem" "$KEY_DIR/pubprodkey02.pem"
		mntroot_ro
	fi
}

case "$1" in
  start)
    start
  ;;
  stop)
  ;;
  restart|force-reload)
    start
  ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
    exit 1
  ;;
esac

exit 0

Last edited by yifanlu; 02-21-2011 at 01:31 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #25
ths
ths began at the beginning.

That seems overly complicated, and still requires modifying the root filesystem. I would suggest instead:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

KEYS_DIR=/mnt/us/update-switcher/keys

case "$1" in
	start|restart)
		# If custom keys are present and enabled, mount a
		# temporary filesystem over /etc/uks and copy the
		# custom keys there

umount /etc/uks

if [ -d $KEYS_DIR ] ; then
			mount -t tmpfs -o size=1M none /etc/uks &&
			cp -r $KEYS_DIR/* /etc/uks/
		fi

exit 0
		;;

stop)
		umount /etc/uks
		exit 0
		;;

*)
		echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}" >&2
		exit 1
		;;
esac
To disable it, you'd simply rename the "keys" directory to "keys-disabled" or whatever.

Another idea would be to make symlinks in the tmpfs rather than copying the key files, which would allow the user to switch between hack and official keys without rebooting. It might not be a good idea to do official updates while the hack is enabled, though.
ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #26
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I've noticed a bug in your script. Amazon looks for "KEYFILES=$(ls /etc/uks/*pem)" aka, files ending with pem in the keys folder. Your keys end with ".hack" or ".amazon", so they won't work on < 3.1.
That is not a bug. I wanted the hack to behave consistently across all firmware versions, the keys ending with .amazon or .hack are not supposed to be used by otaup, only by switch-updates-provider when making the switch.
IMHO it would be confusing if the same setup does something else in 3.0.x compared to 3.1.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-22-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #27
dsmid
Linux devotee

There's no need to install this hack now as it has been superceded by Jailbreak 3.1 with similar functionality.
Do not install it and make sure to uninstall it before installing Jailbreak 3.1.
Please use version 0.2 uninstaller even if you originally installed version 0.1.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-22-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #28
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
It's the other way round. First install this hack, then update to 3.1.
This is no 3.1 jailbreak, it just can keep your Kindle jailbroken after updating to 3.1. If Duokan uses the same key as the other hacks then it will be able to install. I don't have any experience with Duokan though.
Doh! So if my Kindle shipped with 3.1 I'm stuffed?

T.T <<< sad panda.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not anymore.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #30
greyTraveler
Enthusiast
greyTraveler began at the beginning.

Use this w/ yifanlu's hack >= 0.4, but not NiLuJe's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
There's no need to install this hack now as it has been superceded by Jailbreak 3.1 with similar functionality.
Do not install it and make sure to uninstall it before installing Jailbreak 3.1.
Please use version 0.2 uninstaller even if you originally installed version 0.1.
Now yifanlu is recommending using this hack if you are using his hack with version >= 0.4 (he no longer provides this functionality).

It will still conflict with earlier yifanlu jail breaks, and with NiLuJe's jail breaks.

greyTraveler
greyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote