Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh My - Controversial Artwork Destroyed!

This has been going on for a few days now. Protests etc...and now this:

Witness: Woman uses crowbar to bash into display, destroy controversial artwork featuring Jesus in Loveland....

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...6808&catid=339

Last edited by kennyc; 10-07-2010 at 06:06 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Why is it more special if Jesus is depicted on a Wednesday, or any other day?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you take your religion seriously, its sacrilegious .

Why do people do "in your face" stuff and then act all surprised when it bites them in the butt?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Is there a pic of the art on that page, or anywhere else? I'm not seeing it, so I can't tell if the people who are upset are jumping the gun on what it's showing or not. The man who assembled it says it isn't really Jesus. ?

If it looks enough like Jesus, then, well, you know... lol I'm agnostic, but I these sort of "in your face" displays smack of juvenile attention-__ing behavior.

The libertarian in me figures they get what they deserve.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Why do people do "in your face" stuff and then act all surprised when it bites them in the butt?
Oh, I didn't see this before I posted! Yes, my thoughts exactly, and much more pithily put.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think there's a pic of it ... at least none I've seen maybe a smallish one there in the article??

Anyway who knows what Jesus looked like, etc....
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't think there's a pic of it ... at least none I've seen maybe a smallish one there in the article??

Anyway who knows what Jesus looked like, etc....
There is a universal rendering of what Jesus might have looked like......Its pretty clear that even the small pics show thats what it is.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
People should respect other people's beliefs.

"Among individuals as among nations, the respect to other people's rights is peace"
-- Benito Juarez, Mexican president (1858-72)
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
People should respect other people's beliefs.

"Among individuals as among nations, the respect to other people's rights is peace"
-- Benito Juarez, Mexican president (1858-72)
But what if other people's beliefs are wrong or dangerous?

PS. Kenny, could you edit the thread title - it's got a spelling mistake that's annoying me and I might be moved to destroy something.

Last edited by TGS; 10-07-2010 at 05:31 AM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Absolutely.
Salman Rushdie should have known better.
Theo van Gogh was asking for it.
And as for atheists — well...
And you can't even trust the clergy to take religion seriously.

Yes, if anyone says anything about your religion that offends you, you're fully justified to destroy their property, threaten them, incite people to murder them, or even murder them yourself. After all, your religion is true, isn't it?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:

Like telling atheists they have no morals, yeah I don't get it?

Seriously though, I don't buy into this "beliefs should be respected" idea that gets thrown around. You can justify all sorts of crazy stuff by hiding behind your 'respected' beliefs. Beliefs should be challenged, they will stand or fall on their merit and the arguments of those defending them.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post

PS. Kenny, could you edit the thread title - it's got a spelling mistake that's annoying me and I might be moved to destroy something.
Sorry about the typo....

Maybe a mod can fix it....
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
There is a universal rendering of what Jesus might have looked like......Its pretty clear that even the small pics show thats what it is.
But that's just your belief, right.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, if anyone says anything about your religion that offends you, you're fully justified to destroy their property, threaten them, incite people to murder them, or even murder them yourself. After all, your religion is true, isn't it?
Freedom of religion. Let people practice it the way their religion dictates it. We should respect it.

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
(Apologies, quoting out of order to make replying easier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This has been going on for a few days now. Protests etc...and now this:

Witness: Woman uses crowbar to bash into display, destroy controversial artwork featuring Jesus in Loveland....
As someone who didn't know until just now that Loveland was a town, I could see why an artwork that looked to be called "Jesus in Loveland" might be seen as controversial

(And having read the article, that would seem like a reasonable subtitle for the piece, assuming the artist did actually intend to depict Jesus...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
Seriously though, I don't buy into this "beliefs should be respected" idea that gets thrown around. You can justify all sorts of crazy stuff by hiding behind your 'respected' beliefs. Beliefs should be challenged, they will stand or fall on their merit and the arguments of those defending them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Freedom of religion. Let people practice it the way their religion dictates it. We should respect it.
I have no objection to people believing what they want to. It's only when they start insisting other people believe the same things, or respect them for what they believe I have issues. Respect is optional for anything, imo. Personally, I tend to respect actions more than beliefs anyway. (I shouldn't have to add this, but I'm going to. Just because I don't automatically grant respect to a person's beliefs doesn't mean I am rude to them etc. I try to act in a manner I consider decent towards everyone)

Quote:
Sometimes because they genuinely don't think what they are doing is all that "in your face"; or because they are so convinced of their own arguments they just can't conceive that anyone would take it the wrong way; or because what they are reacting against is something they consider to be "in your face"; or to draw attention to something they feel is important when other means have failed.

And yes, sometimes just for the attention.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote