Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
ADE software help

Hi, I need help! I know it has to be something really basic but I just can get my brain around how to do it. I am trying to put books form ADE onto my 505. I am using a MAC and ADE is registered to the Mac and also a PC ( back up option).

When I connect the reader I get nothing recognising that the reader is even there. Going into the help section, I had to download some new software for the 505 which I have done.

So - how do I get the software onto the 505? I have disabled the sync on the sony software as it was duplicating everything and use manual transfer. I did turn the Sync on to sync photos as I thought it would have to do the software as well but I dont think it did. well if it did, the 505 is still not acknowledged in ADE.

I just know its a simple thing so I appreciate any help anyone can give me out there.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I find the MAC ADE and Sony software don't always work either. What I do is to download the book into ADE, check it works, ie you can read it, then get Calibre to put the book onto my Sony. While Calibre can't read the drmed book, it will allow you to move it to the Sony.

Alternatively, once you have the book workin in ADE you could just copy it across to the Sony or the SD card.

Both the above assume you have registered the Sony to the same ADE account.

ELSE, remove the DRM but that's another story.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
ADE on the Mac specifically does not support the Sony Readers. Assuming you have already authorized your Reader to same AdobeID that you authorized ADE with, you can transfer the ePub or PDF files manually (using the Finder) or using Calibre, however this will not work for content that you get from a Library (that is returnable). For Library content you will need to use the Sony Ebook Library software or use ADE on windows.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
ADE on the Mac specifically does not support the Sony Readers. Assuming you have already authorized your Reader to same AdobeID that you authorized ADE with, you can transfer the ePub or PDF files manually (using the Finder) or using Calibre, however this will not work for content that you get from a Library (that is returnable). For Library content you will need to use the Sony Ebook Library software or use ADE on windows.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Thanks both of you. That explains a lot.

are you able to use the Sony software to download library books as that is what this is all for. So do yo download the book onto your computer then import through Sony software? Just waiting for my library card.

Funny the ADE & 505 are both registered together as I have used it before on my Dell but the Dell wont recognise the reader either now either.

I does explain about the MAC though so Ill try via the software and then to the DELL. I have never been able to figure out Calibre even though I tried many many times.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
are you able to use the Sony software to download library books as that is what this is all for. So do yo download the book onto your computer then import through Sony software? Just waiting for my library card.

Funny the ADE & 505 are both registered together as I have used it before on my Dell but the Dell wont recognise the reader either now either.
Yes, you can use the Sony Reader Library on a Mac to download library books. One of the reasons why I love my ereader is the capability to borrow library ebooks!

The PRS-505 is somewhat unique in the way that you authorize the device with ADE on a PC before you can use it on your Mac. Newer models do not have this issue. The good news is that you appear to have both a PC & Mac so you can do the workaround.

1. Install ADE on a Windows PC and then authorize your PRS-505 on that PC. (Sounds like you have done this already).
2. Install ADE on your Mac and authorize the Mac (Sounds like you have done this already too).
3. Install the Sony Reader Library on the Mac. Sony will ask you if you want to use the ADE account/password info in your Keychain. Say yes. Also I think there might be an option to check that says "always" so you never have to answer this question again.

At this point your computers and ereader should all be authorized to your Adobe account, and your software should be setup to view the Adobe-DRM'ed files. Just make sure you use the same Account ID and password each time.

Now chose the ebook you want from your library and check it out. The ebook can be either PDF or EPUB format. When I download a book from my library, an acsm file is placed in my Downloads folder with a name like "URLLink.acsm" or "booktitle.acsm". Right click on the file name and select Open With > Reader Library. This action will open the book in the Sony software.

The book will appear at the top of the Books category if you sort by most recent date. You will see in the far-right hand column the time remaining until it expires, e.g. 14 days. Make sure your reader is plugged in with the USB cable. Then you can sync your library with your PRS-505. Alternatively you could drag and drop the book onto the reader device icon in the left-hand column of the Sony software. Also don't forget to click the "Eject" button next to the reader device icon before disconnecting the USB cable.

It is a lot of effort to go through to get the Sony Reader Library Mac version to play nice with the PRS-505 and library ebooks! Like I said above newer models don't have this extra PC workaround. It's just that the PRS-505 was the first Sony ereader to work with ADE and also the Reader Library Mac version is relatively recent.

Once you work through this frustration, the process does run smoothly after that. It sounds like you might have some other issues if your reader isn't showing up in ADE on your Dell. Best of luck to you!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote