Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My K3 Died on me

sigh... The screen suddenly crashed on me. Applied for a replacement and I hope I will get it soon. Gotta ship this broken one back to Amazon
Arghhh...

How long does it take for a regular express mail from Australia to the USA? Anyone knows? I have to return the Kindle 3 by the 2nd of October or else I would get charged the full amount This sucks......
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
crap! That's a disturbing picture.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
uclaser
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
crap! That's a disturbing picture.
indeed it is I am so pissed right now...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know how long that it will take but I would call back and talk a different CS person. Make sure they know that you are sending it from Australia and ask where to send shipping confirmation. Then email them a copy of the shipping info so they can see that you sent it back to them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What happened to your Kindle? That diagonal pattern is usually because the Kindle has been hit by something or dropped.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Usually, when Amazon sends a replacement Kindle it is shipped overnight (I've even had non-Kindle item replacements sent overnight). I don't know what that means for Australia.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

On some forum (might be here. I can't remember) somebody had an issue with their Kindle and they were in Australia as well. They managed to get Amazon to credit them with the cost of shipping the faulty Kindle back to them so it was "free" to do so.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
uclaser
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
What happened to your Kindle? That diagonal pattern is usually because the Kindle has been hit by something or dropped.
I honestly don't know what happened. I came back home from uni and opened my bag and it was already like that. I don't remember banging or dropping it or squashing it at all. I keep my kindle in a netbook case for extra protection. No idea how the screen turned out that way.

Anyway, I already emailed CS, just gotta wait for their reply
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaser View Post
I honestly don't know what happened. I came back home from uni and opened my bag and it was already like that. I don't remember banging or dropping it or squashing it at all. I keep my kindle in a netbook case for extra protection. No idea how the screen turned out that way.

Anyway, I already emailed CS, just gotta wait for their reply
If your netbook case is not hard, I would suggest purchasing a cover. E-ink screens have a glass substrate and a knock that wouldn't phase your netbook might kill your reader.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
uclaser
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If your netbook case is not hard, I would suggest purchasing a cover. E-ink screens have a glass substrate and a knock that wouldn't phase your netbook might kill your reader.
Currently waiting on my Oberon case Don't know what happened though, I've been carrying it around for a week or so since I got it.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is a classic picture of a broken screen substrate. It will generally not be covered by warranty, since it is "user abuse", not a manufacturing defect.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
uclaser
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is a classic picture of a broken screen substrate. It will generally not be covered by warranty, since it is "user abuse", not a manufacturing defect.
seriously? I'm screwed then.... "user abuse"
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaser View Post
seriously? I'm screwed then.... "user abuse"
If Amazon is already sending you a replacement... you're good. Don't worry.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately yes. There is a thin layer of glass underneath the outer plastic screen. Subject this to any kind of twisting force and it will fracture, as yours has done. The diagonal line on the screen in your picture is the crack in the glass.

It's essential to keep the Kindle (or any other eBook reader) in a rigid case when carrying it, especially in close proximity to heavy books.

No manufacturer will replace this kind of damage under warranty. That's why Amazon sell accidental damage policies as an optional extra for the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

[edit]What HarryT said. I'm just too slow. How do you delete posts on here anyway?[/edit]

Twisting is also bad for the Kindle which means it can still get broken in a case if its not flat.