Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Brand new PRS-300 in hand compared to the 505.

I have ruminated long and hard over the last few weeks and finally let go and bought the Black PRS-300.
I say Black, because that is what is written on the box label, not Navy Blue.

Anyway plugged it in and in less than an hour I have transferred over all 200 of my books.

The reason why I have been holding off was that I have the 505 already, and as everyone knows the 505 is one if the best readers available at the moment. But I have to say, the 300 in my opinion trumps it and here are my reasons.

1. It is only a little bit smaller than the 505, but that little bit makes a real difference in portability. I finally have a device that I can transport everywhere.

2. The key point... THE SCREEN HAS BETTER CONTRAST THAN THE 505. NO IFS OR BUTS... The background is whiter, and there is absolutely no ghosting from the previous page.

3. The memory stick expansion of the 505 is a great idea, but I have repeatedly had to reset the device so that it could read it.
With the 300, I have 200 books on internal memory and not even reached 50% of the capacity...I will never fill this with books.

4. Page turn speed is identical and the bits that are missing cf the 505, such as music and pictures, are not an issue to me since after realizing how quickly playing MP3s suck the battery dry.

I thought I would be keeping the 505, but I doubt now that I will. I will leave it a week before I decide however.

Just want to say a big thank you to all who have put in reviews and helped me out of tight spots during the years that I have been lurking and posting.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
How wonderful that the 300 screen is better. Do you miss the right hand page turn buttons?

Any chance we can persuade you to post side-by-side pics?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Got the "black" one myself, I love it!
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
How wonderful that the 300 screen is better. Do you miss the right hand page turn buttons?

Any chance we can persuade you to post side-by-side pics?
I have read for a couple of hours and so far do not miss the side buttons.
The size of the device is such that regardless of which hand I hold the reader in, my thumb falls over the round button.
I can comfortably press the 'right' or 'down' buttons to turn the page forward.

I have again noticed that the font of the 300 is slightly larger than the 505 as well. I opened two identical books and had both on small font.

This is a little annoying given the fact that the resolution of both screens are the same, I would have been willing to lose a bit of font weight rather than gain it.

The reader does shrinks the font in the menu pages to get the same amount of information as on the 505 screen, and it looks very good because of that.

I will try to get pictures out Friday evening. It will be tough though getting the lighting right to show the difference in contrast, it is noticeable in the hand though.

Do these screens lose contrast with age? I cannot remember what my 505 was like right out of the box. When I look at it now, it is slightly speckled, a bit like the grain seen within real paper. The 300 is not as noticeable at all.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca View Post
2. The key point... THE SCREEN HAS BETTER CONTRAST THAN THE 505. NO IFS OR BUTS... The background is whiter, and there is absolutely no ghosting from the previous page.
I cannot speak for the contrast as I did not compare the 300 to the 505 for screen contrast. But, as for ghosting, my 505 has no ghosting at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Same here, the only time I've seen ghosting on my reader was when reading outside when it was _freezing_ out.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
boca
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot speak for the contrast as I did not compare the 300 to the 505 for screen contrast. But, as for ghosting, my 505 has no ghosting at all.
Where I noticed it on the 505 was when I moved off a book title page that had graphics.

The second page was blank, but I could still see the ghost of the title graphic... This was not seen on the 300.

My 505 was bought in launch week, so quite old... do not know if that has any effect.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Sounds like a problem with your 505. I have a couple of books like this and except on a couple of specific occasions I've not seen this on my 505.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote