Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Kindle DX PDF Test Request

Hi,

I requested that a PRS-700 owner test out two PDF files for me to see if the PDF files that I attached would format well and be readable. Unfortunately that was not the case. Someone volunteered and tested it out, the results were bad. Here's a link to that discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51209

It help me out huge if I could find out whether or not these PDFs look good on the DX. I'm hesitant to take a $489 leap of faith even if there is a refund. I understand if you dont want to spend time with this, but if you;re up for it then it would be fantastic! The attached files are in the linked thread. One is a screenplay PDF and the other is a table created in Word converted to PDF.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Hi,

I requested that a PRS-700 owner test out two PDF files for me to see if the PDF files that I attached would format well and be readable. Unfortunately that was not the case. Someone volunteered and tested it out, the results were bad. Here's a link to that discussion:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51209

It help me out huge if I could find out whether or not these PDFs look good on the DX. I'm hesitant to take a $489 leap of faith even if there is a refund. I understand if you dont want to spend time with this, but if you;re up for it then it would be fantastic! The attached files are in the linked thread. One is a screenplay PDF and the other is a table created in Word converted to PDF.
I should be able to do it a little later today.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Screenplay font is of reasonable size, but it's not the darkest possible - it's very light. In my opinion it has very poor contrast, I usualy get a headaches when reading documents like this.

Converted Word document is actually better as far as contrast go, but font is very small in portrait mode, Kindle also gets it wrong in landscape mode (original document formating) - it messes up pagination.

I cannot say results are awful - they are consistent whith outher PDFs I tried. In my opinion, Kindle native PDF is unsable for reading in most cases. If you want to buy DX for PDF reading (as I did) - don't, you'll be disappointed
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
KindleKid
Zealot

Hmm, I could perhaps start making these tables in portrait mode so they can be more readable. That sounds disappointing about the fact that DX PDF reading is not all its cracked up to be.

When I owned a K1, I used to convert files to PDF read. That worked reasonably well for the screenplays, the tables where too tiny though and it was awkward to view landscape mode for them.

Are you finding that a lot of your PDF choices are not wha you had hoped?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Are you finding that a lot of your PDF choices are not wha you had hoped?
Yes, I think native PDF support is over-hyped feature which actualy fails to deliver.
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
KindleKid
Zealot

Damn. Well, I guess I'll just stick to PDFRead with whatever device I end up going with. The only down side to PDFRead is the lack of searching. But I'm grateful that people have taken their time to provide this free utility as I used it constantly on my K1.

In short, there's nothing wrong with PDFRead just devices that don't do a better job of formatting PDFs!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I have taken your files and “cut” the margins (extra white space) in acrobat.
The result can be read quite well in a 6” reader.

Here are the “cropped” files.

Best regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCH-SGBRK-A01S01-D1&2o2-ALL - 1.pdf (76.5 KB, 368 views)
File Type: pdf CCH-SGSPT-A01S01-ALL - 1.pdf (11.9 KB, 337 views)
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
KindleKid
Zealot

Thank you very much! So this could work well on the Kindle 2, that's great! I appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
I use my DX for reading PDFs all the time. That's the main reason I bought it, being otherwise very satisfied with my K1. I wish the navigation features were better, but it's certainly usable and much better than converting for reading on my K1, or printing them out.

I've attached photos of your PDFs on my DX so you can judge for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3515.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	32707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3516.JPG
Views:	870
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	32708  

Last edited by tklaus; 07-21-2009 at 11:16 AM.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
KindleKid
Zealot

These are a bit more impressive than I was imagining. ebs, did you get results like this on yours? Perhaps it's a matter of taste, but it seems ok to me. Of course "ok" is still going on a limb for the price. Thanks for the images tklaus!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best eInk device by far for PDF reading is the iRex DR1000S. Of course, it's a little more expensive than the Kindle DX, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course, it's a little more expensive than the Kindle DX, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
If you consider $300 "a little"... sure.

Personally, I am waiting for the PL to be out before I get a large format device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
ebs
Zealot

Yeah, I got similar results and I consider them far from OK. Also, landscape shot doesn't show how Kindle messes up paginaton .
I guess it depends on what you expect - sure rendering is almost always accurate, but contrast is very poor, and I really get headaches when I try to read PDFs, so I don't think it's just a matter of taste.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best eInk device by far for PDF reading is the iRex DR1000S. Of course, it's a little more expensive than the Kindle DX, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
I agree (I have the DR1000S) and I also had the DX (returned it last saturday). I wanted to like the kindle and I did prefer it over the DR1000 when it came to battery life and the "feel" of it but using both only for pdf support, the DX hands down loses. The print was soooo light and so much wasted space that it was a no brainer to return it. If the DX screen was a bit larger to match the DR1000, I may have kept it and just touched up the pdf's to make it work. The only advantage the DX had is great battery life and speed changing pages.
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
Dahaun
Dahaun began at the beginning.

Could someone test this:
Code:
http://is.freecode.pl/priv/1.pdf
file on newest DX and upload pictures?
Dahaun is offline   Reply With Quote