Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
sw122683
sw122683 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Help!Cybook freezes...

The screen now is freezing as the pic shows:

I have tried every method I can find on the internet and nothing worked.

Reset doesn't wort.

Whenever I press the on/off button, the green light flashes several times. If I keep pressing the button for about fifteen seconds, it seems to restart and then it will stop at the same screen(attached pic) again. If I connect it to my laptop, the red light is on and the green light keeps flashing behind the red light. None usb device is detected by the laptop.

I tried to flash the cybook with build 796 but failed. Nothing happens when I keep pressing the ok button.

I even took out the battery. The screen is still displaying the same page.

Please advice how can I fix it. It's only the second week it arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Gen3_lockup.bmp (10.0 KB, 468 views)

Last edited by sw122683; 01-03-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: pic is not attached
sw122683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw122683 View Post
The screen now is freezing as the pic shows:
I have tried every method I can find on the internet and nothing worked.
I had similar problem during my summer vacation, but taking out battery, then returning it after couple of minutes and resetting solved it.
Have you tried charging it with wall charger? Do you have sd-card? Tried to boot up without it?
In any case, write to Bookeen and see what they will say...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
sw122683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I had similar problem during my summer vacation, but taking out battery, then returning it after couple of minutes and resetting solved it.
Have you tried charging it with wall charger? Do you have sd-card? Tried to boot up without it?
In any case, write to Bookeen and see what they will say...

DrS
Thanks pal. I have tried that and it failed... Since you had luck on it, I will give it a shot again.
Sd card is not in, as I heard from someone that it might bring larger chance of having system curruption. And I don't have a wall charger...

Mail has been sent to bookeen. HOPEFULLY they will reply...
Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The reset button only turns off the Cybook. Notice that the screen is not cleared when you press reset.

When you try to reflash make sure the battery is fully charged. You have to press the button a long time (maybe 30 seconds or more).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
sw122683

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The reset button only turns off the Cybook. Notice that the screen is not cleared when you press reset.

When you try to reflash make sure the battery is fully charged. You have to press the button a long time (maybe 30 seconds or more).
Actually, I don't know if I can reflash. It is not really "restarting" after I press the on/off button for a long time. The screen just flashes and then come back at the same place.
And I am not sure if I can charge it. When it is connected to the computer, the normal "Connected" screen doesn't show up and the light keeps flashing as it is trying to restart...

Yang
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw122683 View Post
And I am not sure if I can charge it. When it is connected to the computer, the normal "Connected" screen doesn't show up and the light keeps flashing as it is trying to restart...
Press the reset button, now the unit should be off, even if the screen is not blank.

Plug the USB cable to the Cybook and the computer, and make sure both ends are fully inserted, especially the Cybook end, which needs a thinner than usual plug.

Now there should be a red LED on the Cybook, and it should be charging (no indication on the screen, it is off). Wait for some hours to make sure the battery is fully charger, the red LED may go off then (but I'm not sure).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Which version of 796 did you try to re-flash with? It must be 796fmt to format the internal memory.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Wiki here.
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
sw122683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Press the reset button, now the unit should be off, even if the screen is not blank.

Plug the USB cable to the Cybook and the computer, and make sure both ends are fully inserted, especially the Cybook end, which needs a thinner than usual plug.

Now there should be a red LED on the Cybook, and it should be charging (no indication on the screen, it is off). Wait for some hours to make sure the battery is fully charger, the red LED may go off then (but I'm not sure).
Indeed, the red is on. But behind it, I can still see the green light flashes...

Does anyone know what does it mean when the light is flashing???
Old 01-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
sw122683

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. View Post
Which version of 796 did you try to re-flash with? It must be 796fmt to format the internal memory.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Wiki here.
I press the OK button for several minutes, but no response...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
M.H.
Connoisseur

1. Did you use 796fmt?
2. Did you put the file in the root of the SD card (it must not be in a folder)?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
sw122683

Quote:
1. Did you use 796fmt?
2. Did you put the file in the root of the SD card (it must not be in a folder)?

Yes. Just the kernel file downloaded from the wiki and it's in the root directory.(I even deleted all other files...)
Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
M.H.
Connoisseur

Have you tried using a different SD card?
If you don't have another SD card you could try reformatting it (FAT32).

Is the SD card less than or equal to 2GB (i.e. it must not be an SDHC card)?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
sw122683

Quote:
Have you tried using a different SD card?
If you don't have another SD card you could try reformatting it (FAT32).

Is the SD card less than or equal to 2GB (i.e. it must not be an SDHC card)?
Yes, it's 2GB.
I don't know if I can upgrade. I can only get the following screen.(And it's not repeated. It's just staying at the screen)

Then I press OK button, none response.

Last edited by sw122683; 01-03-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
sw122683

Can anyone kindly help do a test by pressing the on/off button long enough to see what happens?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Exactly what do you do when you try to upgrade?

You should press "enter" button the when the first image appear and not when you get the image with three filled circles.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote