Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Free Kindle blogs??

From the Amazon Kindle discussions page. I have no idea if this is already known....or even useful, but just in case.
" Initial post: Nov 9, 2008 10:26 PM PST
A. May says:
am i the only one that thinks this is so? i was paying for the subscriptions on kindle, but recently stopped. the NYT and WSJ web sites come up as the PDA versions on the kindle, and layout very well, and quickly- as good as the paid subs. they are just as easy to read and navigate as the paid subscription.

the NYT web version has the full sunday magazine, and book review too. and, i like the way the pics come out better than the paid sub.

so i'm wondering why people are paying for the subs, when the web based (pda versions) are so good.

i'm interested in comments from people who have compared the two too (pun intended!) cheers. "

Here are the links

"In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2008 10:43 PM PST
A. May says:
it's mobile.nytimes.com

and for the WSJ, mobile2.wsj.com

those should work, and you will see what i mean, they are perfect for the kindle."
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
There is something convenient in having something to download to the device and read off-line. This allows people to read their newspapers when they're flying, traveling abroad, or simply in a dead zone for their Whispernet connection.

Those mobile sites are pretty sweet, though. I don't really like the Kindle subscription deals (too expensive for the limited content available in the digital editions) so I'll have to try those out on my Kindle when I get back to the states. I'm living in Japan right now so it's not too handy unless I'm using wifi on my iPod Touch.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
There is something convenient in having something to download to the device and read off-line. This allows people to read their newspapers when they're flying, traveling abroad, or simply in a dead zone for their Whispernet connection.
I agree...I tried the free PDA versions (first time trying to use the Web browswer on the Kindle) and although they work well enough, I don't see myself using it much. I prefer to download and read with Whispernet off as it drains my battery too quickly. (Some report turning it on/off between articles, but that's too time consuming for me).

I read the paper version of the Boston Globe in the car waiting for the train and have had no desire to replace with a Kindle sub. Its faster to glance through and if there is something I want to read in more detail, I can look up the article on-line later. I also like glancing through the ads--especially those for local events, sales and the circulars.

I do subscribe to the NY Times - Latest News blog ($1.99 a month) and I find that's enough to supplement the local paper.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote