Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #61
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
No, no, no!! See, as an "outsider" (not previously involved in this discussion, and coming late to the party) I can see that Ms Armadillo is having too much *FUN* persuading others of how bad she feels. You mustn't rain on her pity party; a damp (or drowned) pity party is truly pitiful. One can be having such fun being sorry for oneself --- and being hit by a deluge of water just spoils all that fun.

RM is just pulling everybody's chain ... getting people to feel sorry for her! (P.S. RM -- I love the armadillo - specially the flirty blinking eyes!)

P.P.S. I also love Terry Pratchett's stuff. I collected much of it (paperback) and need to get back to it. Someday. The Kindle (and the cross stitch) are too inviting just now.
Damn .... you got me pegged!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #62
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Haeh! Knew it!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #63
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
But would she enjoy her pity-party so much if I wasn't constantly looking worried and shaking the angst-o-meter?
No .... pretty certain she wouldn't!! So ... y'all just keep on doing that!!

(Wanders off singing ...

"Your life is brilliant
My life's a joke
I'm just pathetic
I'm always broke
My homemade Armadillo avatar
Really ain't impressin' anyone
I'm sufferin' from delusions of
Adequacy

I'm pitiful
I'm pitiful
I'm pitiful, it's true
Never had a date
That I couldn't inflate
And I smell repulsive too
What a bummer bein' meeeeeeee ooooooooooooo!!!")
Old 07-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Hm. The angst-o-meter seems to be climbing, rather than falling. Perhaps I should change the title to something completely different... no, must resist using editorial powers frivolously....

[Resorts to Higher Authority]

Queen z-chan, any orders?
Premier Ministre neko-chan, i do believe that we have reached a point of no return, and that you would be fully justified in appending [US] to the title of this thread.

not that i want to use any (thoroughly hypothetical and naturally completely absurd) authority which might or might not have been vested in *me* frivolously, either, of course...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now I have Eric on my 505. I can begin reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Yes, Legends! I have the large print version. Takes up lots of shelf space. THANKS!!
I might have a copy of Legends someplace. But if I don't. I can easily get it via the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #67
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now I have Eric on my 505. I can begin reading.
Eric is fantastic, I'm sure you'll love it. Interesting Times that follows it is also one of the highlights of the Discworld series so far.
However, for sheer epic greatness and easily one of the best novels I've ever read, you just can't go past Mort. It sounds weird, but Death is funny!
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #68
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
Eric is fantastic, I'm sure you'll love it. Interesting Times that follows it is also one of the highlights of the Discworld series so far.
However, for sheer epic greatness and easily one of the best novels I've ever read, you just can't go past Mort. It sounds weird, but Death is funny!
Death was hysterical in the movie of "Hogfather." I just loved Death. I'm looking forward to the books where he is more .... ummm .... filled out as a character. I mean, if you can fill out a skeleton.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #69
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Mort makes an excellent introduction to Death, I think.

Queen Z-chan, I hear and obey.

(But the forum software converts brackets to curly braces. I call that Unutterably Silly!)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #70
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah -- Death is one of my favorite Pratchett characters! [ That feels very strange to say ....]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #71
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
At a panel at a WorldCon a few years back, on death and humor in SF, TP introduced himself as, "I'm Terry Pratchett, and I invented Death."
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #72
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I would start with Guards Guards or Wyrd Sisters or Pyramids or The Colour of Magic. If starting with Colour of Magic - skip the intro/foreword stuff as it's likely confusing and get right to the story.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #73
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Without in any way dismissing any previous suggestions otherwise, and despite what Terry Pratchett himself might say, I don't see a problem with simply reading them in the order they were written. After all, there are probably quite a few bazillion of us who read each one within days of its first release and have been quite satisfied with that order's experience.

Besides, the earliest ones are very short one-night-stands, so they're quickly filed on the bookshelves rather than in the TBR pile.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #74
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
(But the forum software converts brackets to curly braces. I call that Unutterably Silly!)
how appropriate... even the forum software has joined our number !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #75
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Without in any way dismissing any previous suggestions otherwise, and despite what Terry Pratchett himself might say, I don't see a problem with simply reading them in the order they were written. After all, there are probably quite a few bazillion of us who read each one within days of its first release and have been quite satisfied with that order's experience.
The problem is that they are not as good as the later and you might stop reading them. An Pyramids is not good at all. I am rereading in copyright order and it took me moths to finish Pyramids. And I noticed that the first two was not so funny as I remember them.

The kind of humor in the books change drastically from slapstick to more interesting and good humor.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness