Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Electrowetting color displays coming up in 2008

It's somewhat similar to the E Ink technology, but it should have better colors than even future color versions of E Ink displays.
"Responding to the strong demand of our lead customers, Liquavista is on track to achieve volume production of displays in 2008," said Mark Gostick, Liquavista's CEO. He added "Thanks to the continued support of our investors, we now have everything we need to achieve the first commercial introduction of ColorMatch-based products this year and to maintain our rapid progress in the development of active-matrix displays."

Liquavista's electrowetting displays provide world-beating brightness at low power and offer the potential for clear viewing in all lighting conditions, from a dimly lit office environment to the bright light of a sunny day. Applications range from watches, mobile phones and digital cameras to notebook computers.

Hermann Hauser, Amadeus Director and Liquavista board member commented: "Liquavista's electrowetting technology provides a light shutter that is fundamentally more efficient than LCD and ultimately simpler and less costly to make. There really is no limit to its potential to transform the displays industry."
Link: press release

Related links: Liquavista mixes oil and water to produce a new display technology, Philips spins off Liquavista to start yet another e-paper venture
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It'll be interesting to see if they are able to make the transition from a technology demonstration to large-scale industrial production. That's a leap that many technologies fail to make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a "dimly-lit office environment"...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It'll be interesting to see if they are able to make the transition from a technology demonstration to large-scale industrial production. That's a leap that many technologies fail to make.
Liquavista is a spinoff from Philips so this can't be a problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
When the power goes out? Where I work, we often lose power during thunder storms.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
This is really interesting, but I don't see anything on their website (which admittedly I read through very quickly) about the comfort of reading this type of screen. The main reason I purchased an eInk device was because it isn't backlit and I can read it for a few hours without everything going swimmy. Low power consumption and outdoor readability are value added.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
This is really interesting, but I don't see anything on their website (which admittedly I read through very quickly) about the comfort of reading this type of screen.
We'll probably just have to see for ourselves when the screens come out. After all, what good is their telling us the screens are great? We'll be the judge of that!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Programming offices are often very dimly-lit. Programmers, like fungi, shun the light.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
dalai
Enthusiast
dalai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
This is really interesting, but I don't see anything on their website (which admittedly I read through very quickly) about the comfort of reading this type of screen. The main reason I purchased an eInk device was because it isn't backlit and I can read it for a few hours without everything going swimmy. Low power consumption and outdoor readability are value added.
From their website:

Quote:
Key features of the "ColorFull" technology:
  • Paper-like color reflectivity
  • Low power full color video with unrivaled color gamut
  • Excellent indoor and outdoor viewability
  • High resolution
If they deliver on the promise, it seems a nice combination of the advantages of eInk and LCD. After that we will only have to worry about the price.
dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
searcher
Connoisseur

Actually they will start to make ColorMatch line production. This is a monochrome or single color displays.

They are not ready for ColorFull line, but anyway this is the most promising technology.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The long haul result of this technology - if it scales up industrially <and> when the Colorfull is readily available <and> is competitvely priced with other display technologies (3 ifs!) - is the currently mythical all-in-one gizmo. The web browser/music player/video player/e-book reader/portable game player/cell phone/texting device/ect., with a relatively long battery life, weighing less that a 1/4 kilo (size your choice). It may not be better than, and possible worse that, e-ink technology for reading, but I suspect mass market will want the "Jack-of-all-trades" gizmo over the "master-of-one" e-reader.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 04-02-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Most every office I've worked in? Especially at Microsoft (I was a contractor drone), the overhead lighting seemed to be a thing to be avoided. Never understood it myself, but almost every office had the overhead lights turned off, and a small number of incandescent desk lamps turned on. Now, these were not cheap "shop-style" tube lights, but much higher quality lights that did a credible job of duplicating daylight. But programmers are strange beasts, and they turned them off.

Dark office, small spot of lights, and big thick glasses.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Is it just me or does "Electrowetting" sound, well, a tad, ummm...naughty?

Really though very interesting. After my recent comparison with the new eink visplex on the Sony 505 and my N800 I am very hopeful these displays might offer the improved contrast ratio's some of us need.

If nothing else it's another option that can spur more innovation in other technologies. And then more competition. In the past when there was true competition between companies it always meant better deals for consumers. These days with maybe not so much.

If ya can't tell one of my fav reads is Jennifer Government...it feeds my inner cynic...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Most every office I've worked in? Especially at Microsoft (I was a contractor drone), the overhead lighting seemed to be a thing to be avoided.
The overhead lighting is commonly fluorescent and flickers at 120 or 100Hz (twice mains frequency) and beats against CRT refresh frequency. Many of us can see it directly, others just notice that they get headaches when they use CRTs. LCDs are not as bad in that regard, but they're still not perfect. Incandescent bulbs don't have this problem because they're primarily heaters and there's enough thermal lag to carry them through the dip in output ever 1/100th of a second.

There's also issues with screen brightness relative to the room but that problem is being inverted by the newer LCDs that are disturbingly bright compared to normal room lighting.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 AM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Coupled with hytrachromatic transient photomichondrial teknentisomers, it is a wonder I can find my stapler, let alone my computer's frigging LCD screen.

Oh, for the days of whale oil lamps and strategically placed mirrors to capture the minuscule rays of the sun, filtered through the canvas coverings of the tent flaps.

I never had any difficulty reading the chiseled corporate memos in a clear and appropriate Times London font.

But try telling kids that today...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color display, e-paper, electrowetting, liquavista