Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Thanks Oprah

The US eBook Market For 2010? $500 Million

"Before the Kindle launched, the eBook market was a running joke. Its fans were constantly proclaiming it to be the future, but that future never seemed to come."

I beg to disagree. The real turning point was Oprah.

Oprah Kuddles the Kindle

"The power of Oprah Winfrey’s book recommendations is well-known: if the wildly popular talk show host and business magnate selects a title for her book club, the tome is virtually guaranteed bestseller status "

Like her or not, I think that it was her promotion of the Kindle that really kicked started it all.

Yes, a great many of you were reading ebooks long before her endorsement of the Kindle and ebooks. But as the article says;

"Historically, Winfrey’s endorsement of any product—particularly right before the holidays—has led to an enormous sales spike. If that holds true for the Kindle reader, it’s possible the tech industry will look back at Winfrey’s endorsement as the moment when electronic readers went from being a niche product for technically-savvy individuals to a mainstream product suitable for consumers. "
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Oprah and her hord of lemmings.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Yes, but the lemmings have credit cards.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Hey if she helps to boost sales of Ereaders & Ebooks don't knock it! GO OPRAH!!!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He's just ticked cause no one listened to him when he recommended the Barbie Computer as an ebook reader.
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
The Kindle didn't need Oprah. Her endorsement might have helped sales immediately afterwards, but the Kindle already had a ton of press coverage. The Sony Reader didn't have nearly the amount of press, which was probably in part due to the fact that Amazon was entering the electronics biz for the first time. Publicity no doubt had a role to play in the Kindle's success (especially since the Nook and the Sony Reader line have much less name recognition while the Kindle has hitherto not been sold in stores), but it was not just Oprah's doing. Amazon would be in the same position today with or without her.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
indie
Enthusiast
indie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Maybe she could troll the boards for the next trend, and for the holidays find a way to get an ebook reader at a really inexpensive price. Like it or not her endorsements work.
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
Maybe she could troll the boards for the next trend, and for the holidays find a way to get an ebook reader at a really inexpensive price. Like it or not her endorsements work.
So will she condemn DRM & geo-restrictions?
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
So will she condemn DRM & geo-restrictions?
I think she should. Oprah speaks - the world listens. Richard and Judy (for those of us in the UK) don't quite have the same effect.

To my mind anything that gets people reading is a good thing.
Dan Brown (like his writing or not) got many people picking up a book for the first time since school, and JK Rowling and Harrry Potter did the same for kids.

So if it needs Oprah then petition her to do so.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
To my mind anything that gets people reading is a good thing.
It's hard to argue with that, but...

I've been wanting to finally read Anna Karenina, and the only title in the Kindle Store from the translation I want (Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky) reads "Anna Karenina (Oprah's Book Club)". I downloaded the sample to see if it would read that way on my Kindle. It does, and I won't buy it.

While she is entitled to promote reading all she wants, she does not in any way deserve to be part of the title.

I must add that I once read that when William F. Buckley Jr, the American conservative author and commentator, was asked about Oprah he said, "Isn't she that woman who is alternately thin then fat?"
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only one missing out on not reading the book is you. It won't have the slightest effect on Oprah since she's already read it.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self

Hate is an interesting thing. We'll suffer anything to preserve it.

I suppose that you simply have a great deal of distaste for "celebrities".

My wife hates ereaders - "It's not a real book".

A neighbor's kid likes to read, so I gave him a book that I thought he would enjoy. It turns out that he hates to read from "used" books. What a winner.

I don't watch Oprah. But from what little I've seen (and believe me, it's less than 4 or 5 minutes over the years) she seems to be a lot better than the rest.

MobileRead has 2 English versions. You'll need something like Calibre to shift to a Kindle format.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Hate is an interesting thing. We'll suffer anything to preserve it.
Even if it's totally illogical & idiotic! How sad.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
He's just ticked cause no one listened to him when he recommended the Barbie Computer as an ebook reader.
That junk is supposed to be a computer?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
The Kindle didn't need Oprah. Her endorsement might have helped sales immediately afterwards, but the Kindle already had a ton of press coverage. The Sony Reader didn't have nearly the amount of press, which was probably in part due to the fact that Amazon was entering the electronics biz for the first time. Publicity no doubt had a role to play in the Kindle's success (especially since the Nook and the Sony Reader line have much less name recognition while the Kindle has hitherto not been sold in stores), but it was not just Oprah's doing. Amazon would be in the same position today with or without her.
Ellen gave out Sony Readers to her audience once. I think it was the 505.