Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
GlynG
GlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
Question 64Gb MicroSD in Kobo Aura HD?

After pondering it for some time I've just given in and bought my first ebook reader, an Aura HD I really wanted to wait for a future better ebooker reader model, with a higher definition screen, as I have some large pdfs (400 or so mb per pdf) of scanned images that I'd like to store and view on there, but I want to get back into readng again sooner rather than later.

Has it been confirmed whether the Aura HD will work with a 64Gb MicroSD card? Re-formatted to FAT32, obviously. I tried a search and can see one person saying this set up works fine like this and another saying it didn't work for them. When I upgrade my symbian mobile with one of the new 128gb MicroSD card I'd like to relegate my old 64Gb to the Aura (I know offically the Aura only supports up to 32gb but so does my mobile and the larger cards work fine in it in practice).
GlynG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo claim support for up to 32GB cards. But, there has been at least one person here stating that a 64GB card worked from them. And at least one that stated it didn't. If could be a brand issue, or the tool it was formatted with.

One thing you can do with a Aura HD is to open it and replace the internal card with a larger one. I know people have used 16GB cards, I don't remember if anyone has tried a larger card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Hi GlynG:

I have tried two different 64 gig cards in my Aura HD and both work fine. Yes, fat32 is a must. In fact, all my devices have 64 gig cards, there was a sale on them a month ago!! The specific cards I use:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=058667

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=057081

I am using the Adata uSD card in my AuraHD, but the sandisk works fine, but is way more expensive.

Best,
Shunter
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
GlynG
GlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Excellent! I'm glad it will work. I thought it probably would, but wanted to try and check prior to wiping the card.

It'll be a couple of months or so probably till I can afford the new 128Gb card anyway so as to have my current 64Gb Sandisk spare, but I'll probably briefly try the 128Gb in the Aura out of curiousity too and so I can confirm it for anyone else that might wish to.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter101 View Post
I have tried two different 64 gig cards in my Aura HD and both work fine.
Are you really really sure it won't "wrap around" as soon as it exceeds the 32 GB limit, causing corruption?

I'm asking because the addressing of SDHC really is 32 GB. A 64 GB card has to be SDXC, and I wouldn't suspect Aura HD of having SDXC controller.

I have no idea what happens if you have a partition larger than physically addressable space, but it might look like it works at first when it really isn't.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Are you really really sure it won't "wrap around" as soon as it exceeds the 32 GB limit, causing corruption?

I'm asking because the addressing of SDHC really is 32 GB. A 64 GB card has to be SDXC, and I wouldn't suspect Aura HD of having SDXC controller.

I have no idea what happens if you have a partition larger than physically addressable space, but it might look like it works at first when it really isn't.
I hope not! Currently, the 64gig card for my AuraHD has 40,239,398,912 bytes (around 4000 ebooks ) used according to Windows properties. I do have a backup in case the card becomes corrupt. So far no issues at all, lots of space, speed is great. The only issue, and it is really not an issue, is after the boot cycle, you may see on occasion a panel that says 'We couldn't recognize your Micro SD card. Please format it to FAT32 and try again.' Click 'Ok' and ignore the panel, all is fine. I got this error message when I had an 8gig, 16gig, 32 gig and my current 64 gig cards. It is not the card.

Best,
Shunter

Last edited by SHunter101; 04-19-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
One thing you can do with a Aura HD is to open it and replace the internal card with a larger one. I know people have used 16GB cards, I don't remember if anyone has tried a larger card.
Hi there... This is the first time I've heard of this... Can you point me to the right thread? If we some sort of how-to with this... Pictures would also be nice... Thanks...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
SHunter101
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Hi there... This is the first time I've heard of this... Can you point me to the right thread? If we some sort of how-to with this... Pictures would also be nice... Thanks...
Hi

Try this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

I believe Ken did this to his AuraHD, with a few complications.

Shunter
Old 04-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
A 64 or even a 128 should work, but can you actually use the extra memory?

For each doubling of size, 16/32/64/128 you need another physical address line to access the extra memory. This has to be a circuit on the motherboard and also the software must accommodate it.

If you have a spare 64G kicking around with nowhere to use it, it should work the same as a 32G. Hardly worth buying one special though as the prices will likely go down before you can actually use the full capacity in an ereader.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Hi

Shunter
Right, I have used many sizes including 32GB, with no problems, but I got a good deal on Newegg for 8GB Samsung cards and I just use those now. For ebook files you don't need that much storage space.

Luck,
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #11
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Hi

Shunter
Thanks!!!

I'll try this when my warranty expires!!! Which is still more than 8 months...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #12
GlynG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post

I don't think it actually matters that much. SDHC and SDXC seem to be very similar in practice, or similar enough to work fine. Unless Kobo programmed a 32Gb limit into their software it should be ok.

My Nokia 808 mobile only officially supports up to 32Gb SDHC, but I've used a 64Gb SDXC card in it for a year and a half now with no issues.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynG View Post
I don't think it actually matters that much. SDHC and SDXC seem to be very similar in practice, or similar enough to work fine. Unless Kobo programmed a 32Gb limit into their software it should be ok.

My Nokia 808 mobile only officially supports up to 32Gb SDHC, but I've used a 64Gb SDXC card in it for a year and a half now with no issues.
So can you actually see 64G of data? One wouldn't expect issues as 32G would be addressable, and as long as you put the data/books etc. on while the card was in the device there would be no issues. Fill the card up on a 64G device and put it in a 32G device could be pretty iffy as a file could cross a boundary. No big deal as you could take the card out and remove the file but no advantage that I can see to using a card the device cannot address fully.

Helen
Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #14
GlynG

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So can you actually see 64G of data? One wouldn't expect issues as 32G would be addressable, and as long as you put the data/books etc. on while the card was in the device there would be no issues. Fill the card up on a 64G device and put it in a 32G device could be pretty iffy as a file could cross a boundary. No big deal as you could take the card out and remove the file but no advantage that I can see to using a card the device cannot address fully.
Despite it only being rated for 32Gb I can see and use the 64Gb ExFat MicroSD on my mobile, yes. I've actively been using around 90+% of the capacity since shortly after I got it.

Fingers crossed the same will be true for the Aura, time will tell...
Old 04-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynG View Post
Despite it only being rated for 32Gb I can see and use the 64Gb ExFat MicroSD on my mobile, yes. I've actively been using around 90+% of the capacity since shortly after I got it.

Fingers crossed the same will be true for the Aura, time will tell...
Interesting. It kind of makes your phone a reasonable size USB stick if you so desire.

I will be interested to see if it works the same on the Aura.

I was curious to see what would happen if a 32G card was filled up on the Aura as to me it seems to imply conflict with the firmware addressing, but the Aura HD pretty well croaked on under 8G of epubs so I lost patience.

Keep us informed.

Helen