Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
New Cybook--Mobipocket won't recognize it, can't open files

I just received my Cybook today and I was so excited. Got it all charged up, connected it via the USB cord (yes, the one it came with, very firmly pushed in both ends), and the computer (Windows XP) showed new hardware and new removable memory. I opened Mobipocket (6.1, latest version) and nothing happened. I tried to add a new device and got a message "Connect your device." It IS connected. I tried to open the files via My Computer. It loads two drives, both listed as removable drives. I double clicked on one and got a message, "please insert your drive." I double clicked on the other and got an error message that the drive was not accessible because of an I/O error.

I want to play with my new toy! The books preloaded all work fine. I just can't load anything new. Heeeeeelllllllllllp!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I just received my Cybook today and I was so excited. Got it all charged up, connected it via the USB cord (yes, the one it came with, very firmly pushed in both ends), and the computer (Windows XP) showed new hardware and new removable memory. I opened Mobipocket (6.1, latest version) and nothing happened. I tried to add a new device and got a message "Connect your device." It IS connected. I tried to open the files via My Computer. It loads two drives, both listed as removable drives. I double clicked on one and got a message, "please insert your drive." I double clicked on the other and got an error message that the drive was not accessible because of an I/O error.

I want to play with my new toy! The books preloaded all work fine. I just can't load anything new. Heeeeeelllllllllllp!

Okay. First thing. *IF* your computer has more than 2 USB ports, keep trying ports... You may have problems with one or more of the USB ports. Same thing is true if you're using a USB hub...

Second, once you've got the computer recognizing the Cybook properly, have you made sure that Fictionwise, Mobipocket, etc. know the PID of your Cybook. Won't matter at Fictionwise for those Multiformat ebooks, because they're not using Secure Mobipocket, but for the Secure Mobipocket ebooks, you'll need to let Fictionwise know...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
I am using the version 6.2 of Mobipocket which you can get when you click the "Try beta" button on the mobipocket homepage.
In the release notes they state that the Cybook was added as a supported device in 6.2, so I'd say that's a pretty good reasong why your 6.1 won't recognize the device.
Mobipocket software can work even with unrecognized device, though, in so far as you just tell it to copy the files to a specified removable drive. When you attach the book via USB it should show you one or two new drives (one drive is the built in memory of the Cybook, the second drive is the SD card - if you have one inserted).
You should be able to the new drives in explorer, if one or both don't show up there might be a problem with assigning the drive letter -> I had that once when I had assigned a network share to the first free drive letter. Windows kept on assigning that same drive letter to every removable drive I attached which would then of course not show up because that drive letter was already in use (I could reassign a drive letter in disk manager and it would remember that next time I would use this very same removable medium but as soon as I attached some other drive I'd have the same issue again so I just moved the network share).
If your drives show up, try copying a file to each drive using explorer. If that gives you an error try connecting to another USB port on your computer. I have had issues that some USB devices wouldn't work on my front USB ports and not on any hubs. I had to connect them to the main USB ports on the back of the computer which are directly connected to the mainboard. On some machines the front USB ports are connected directly to the main board, too, so this might not be the case for you but in my experience most of the front USB ports give problems with certain kinds of USB devices. As I understand it the reason is that the devices don't get enough power from the port and that this is the reason why experience of people varies a lot depending on the machine of the user, the hub and the number and type of USB devices connected.

I hope I didn't frighten you with all those details, it's not as complicated as it sounds. Try the following, step by step:
1) Connect to the back USB ports (disconnect all USB devices not needed, just to be sure) and copy a file to both drives. If that works use that USB port in the future and you might want to try using the Mobipocket V6.2, just so it recognizes the device (not a necessity, though)

2) If you can copy to the internal memory of the device but get an IO error on the other drive, then it's the SD card. Try reformatting or using another card.

3) If you can't write to internal memory drive then there's a small chance that it's the cable or your USB port (though I would not think it is) and you might try another cable and/or another computer. But it's most likely that there's a problem with the device itself, then.

Hope that helped...
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
You should be able to the new drives in explorer. ...
If your drives show up, try copying a file to each drive using explorer. If that gives you an error try connecting to another USB port on your computer.
Since Snuffi covered all/most bases I'll just iterate what he's said above. Also, if the file is DRM free and you have another SD card read/write device, you might try removing the SD card from the CYbook and use Explorer to copy the file to the SD card and then returning it to the Cybook to see if it recognizes the new file. Unless the Cybook was already registered for a DRM file this, of course, would not work for that DRM file until you register the device & download the file again.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fact that Windows Explorer is failing to recognise the drives would indicate to me a problem in EITHER the USB hub on your computer, OR in the cable.

If you're using an external hub, try plugging the cable directly into the PC's USB ports. If you are using the port directly, try every port - they are often not all the same.

Do you have access to a different PC that you could try connecting the CyBook to? That would allow you to rule out the CyBook as the cause of the problem.

FORGET MobiPocket Reader for the moment - that's a "red herring". The first thing you need to do is get the Gen3 recognised by Windows Explorer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that Windows Explorer is failing to recognise the drives would indicate to me a problem in EITHER the USB hub on your computer, OR in the cable.
I'd be inclined to agree, with one caveat: my CyBook always presents both the internal flash and the SD slot as a drive to Windows, even when there is no SD card installed.

Trying the to access the 'SD card'-drive fails in that case (as is to be expected).

This isn't the original posters' problem, as the internal flash is inaccessible as well, but it's something to keep in mind, because not all devices do this. My Nokia N800 for instance does not; it only presents the actually installed SD card(s) as drives.

Regards,

Marco.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
When first connecting my Cybook to my PC (XP), I got more-or-less the same thing: XP did notice there was something new, but it wouldn't let me access the Cybook removable storage. The solution in my case was, to power down the PC and to reboot. Afterwards, everything was fine (and I'm using the latest stable version of Mobipocket, no beta version!). Good luck!
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
MaggieScratch
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huzzah!

Plugged it into one of the back USB ports, disconnecting other devices as recommended. Turned on the Cybook and it immediately popped up on Mobipocket Reader and is copying the e-books. Thanks, everyone!!!

I'm a little surprised as I haven't had previous trouble with the USB port I first used--it's the one on the front of the computer and of course is easier to get to. I don't anticipate having to sync that often, though, so it's not a big deal.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
The Cybook is quite peculiar when it comes to USB connections. It always works but you might need to change the ports.

Under Windows you also quite often get an error message telling you that the file "reader.exe" is damaged and that you should run checkdisk to verify that all is ok (and other error messages regarding the integrity if the USB drive).

Of the USB devices I have used this is definitely the most sensitive, but all in all it works out (there is an issue with bookmarks etc disappearing but I am not sure whether this is a connected issue).
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I'm a little surprised as I haven't had previous trouble with the USB port I first used--it's the one on the front of the computer and of course is easier to get to. I don't anticipate having to sync that often, though, so it's not a big deal.
Sometimes, especially if the computer's a little older, the front ports aren't true ports but just an unpowered hub connected internally to the back ports. Some devices need a true USB port (wired into the motherboard) or a a minimum a powered hub.

Don't know that this is the case for you, but it's a possibility.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
MaggieScratch

Thanks for the advice. I was a little panicky--I had been so looking forward to getting the Cybook and was so sad that it didn't seem to be working!

I still have to go through and sort out what I want and what I don't want, as I have tons of e-books, and oddly some of my eReader books copied over as Mobipocket (they're Fictionwise multi-format books). But I've got lots of books loaded now--enough to keep me reading for years! Feedbooks and manybooks.net both rock my socks.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Whew!

I just spent the last hour and a half dealing with the same problem (couldn't get my laptop to recognize the Cybook). Thought I'd just post that after trying all the ports, plugging and unplugging everything, booting and rebooting everything in various combinations, the Cybook finally popped on. Jeepers! I quickly transferred some books after first copying the system file to my computer -- now I have things to read if this happens again! My advice if you have this problem -- be persistent!
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
MaggieScratch

Now I just pop the SD card out, pop it into the card reader (would also work with a USB SD card reader), and transfer the files by clicking and dragging. Much easier.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Some of the symptom here is consistent with the USB cable not being connected properly on the Cybook end. If you push it in halfways the screen on the Cybook will switch to the connected screen but the computer will not detect the disks.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote