Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Complaint with the iPhone Kindle app

The biggest font size is too small for the iPhone Kindle app.

I don't buy any books, I only read free old ePub/mobi files downloaded from Google Books and Archive.org

I noticed that even though using the same account across several iPhones/iPods, the inserting of highlights and bookmarks doesn't sync across the different platforms. I'm guessing there is some sort of Kindle cloud to which you have to upload these mobi files first instead of inserting the mobi files directly from the computer via iTunes. How do you do this?

Last edited by automa; 01-29-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fixed epub with mobi
automa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am a little puzzled. The Kindle app does not read ePub files; it reads Mobipocket files. Are you sure that it's the Kindle app that you're using?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
automa
Zealot
automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.automa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mobi file is what I meant.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
If you email the mobi files to your iPhone/iPod, then your documents will be in the Amazon cloud and you should be able to sync the bookmarks, last page read, etc. Each of your devices has an @kindle.com address associated with them, check on your Manage Your Kindle page of your Amazon account under Manage Your Devices. Email the books to the @free.kindle.com version of one of the devices and the books will download to your iPhone using wifi. To send to another device you can use the Personal Documents library on your Amazon account and select the other devices to deliver directly from the cloud.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
automa
Zealot

Thank you very much. What could I do about the biggest font size not being big enough for the iPod/iPhone Kindle app?
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by automa View Post
Thank you very much. What could I do about the biggest font size not being big enough for the iPod/iPhone Kindle app?
I read on my iPod Touch in landscape mode with a black background at the second largest available font with the Kindle app without any trouble.

What app are you using to read the epub files? Is the largest font size of that app ok for you to read with? If so, then you could convert the mobi files to epub and pass on the Kindle app entirely.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
automa
Zealot

I'm using Kindle and Stanza, and I like everything in Stanza except for the fact that you can't highlight or look up a word on dictionary without tapping twice (very cumbersome) and I like Kindle in that you can see the dictionary meaning without double tapping and or highlighting and syncing across different devices and the ability to display the latest page read.

Stanza also excels in the ability to put background picture, ability to adjust font size, change font color, etc.

I'm not sure if I want to forego Kindle because I can look up words in dictionary a lot faster.

Kindle's largest size is readable and one can get used to it, but after reading on Kindle when I go back to Stanza I'm surprised at how much my eyes are relieved.

I'm guessing that small a size as Kindle app provides would put a constant straint on the eyes and would aggravate eyesight.

Last edited by automa; 01-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
automa
Zealot

Does anyone know if the font size are bigger for Kindle on Samsung Note? It's a bigger smartphone.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Samsung Note = 5,3 inch and resolution 1280x800 = ca. 285 ppi

iPhone/iPod Touch 4(and 4s) = 3,5 inch and resolution 960x640 = ca. 330 ppi

So maybe the font size could be bigger but you'll at least loose a good amount of ppi. In my opinion that would not be a solution for me.

Although if you have an old 3GS (163 ppi) forget about what i said.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One big problem I've found with the Kindle iOS app on an iPhone (no matter the model) is that there is too large a left/right margin that there is no way to get rid of. So we lose a good deal of the screen to nothing. iBooks has the same problem but only very slightly less.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Does anyone know if the font size are bigger for Kindle on Samsung Note? It's a bigger smartphone.
FYI, here are screenshots of the 3 largest font sizes, of an Amazon free book in the Kindle app on the Samsung Galaxy Note.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ksize3.png
Views:	191
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	84900   Click image for larger version

Name:	ksize4.png
Views:	204
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	84901   Click image for larger version

Name:	ksize5.png
Views:	187
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	84902  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
automa
Zealot

I am not sure how I can compare that with the sizes on the iPhone. Is this actual size when I click on them? Or is it actual size when I press CTRL+ - one time?

And is there a non-phone version of Galaxy Note? How much does it cost?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
automa
Zealot

How big are the fonts when you use Kindle Fire?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am not sure how I can compare that with the sizes on the iPhone. Is this actual size when I click on them? Or is it actual size when I press CTRL+ - one time?
The screen-size of the sepia background of the attached images in real life is 2.8x4.5inches or, if you prefer metric, 71x114mm. So you can adjust your browser window to the correct shape and size to view what it actually looks like.
Quote:
And is there a non-phone version of Galaxy Note? How much does it cost?
The Samsung Galaxy Note can be considered a large smartphone or a small tablet. Either way there is only one model that I know of.

As for the cost, I guess it depends where you live and how you buy it -- it's an expensive gadget (and I love it). I'm in the UK and bought mine SIM-free from Amazon UK. I only wish it had been this price when I bought it in February.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
How big are the fonts when you use Kindle Fire?
I can't help with this. The Kindle Fire is not available in the UK.