Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can't add chapter markers to MOBI file

I used MobiUnpack and opened the HTML file.

It seems the chapters look like this:

<mbp: pagebreak></mbp: pagebreak><blockquote height="3em"><blockquote width="0pt" align="center"><font size="5">CHAPTER 1</font> </blockquote></blockquote>

I tried using Structure Detection and set it to "blockquote" as the tag, "height" as the attribute and "3em" as the value, no luck.

I tried heuristic processing and ticked "Detect and markup unformatted chapter headings and sub headings", no luck.

I tried setting Table of Contents Level 1 TOC to:

//h:blockquote[re:test(@height, "3em", "i")]

No luck.

Any ideas?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I probably wouldn't recommend using the output of MobiUnpack as verbatim structure detection criteria for calibre conversions. Give calibre a folder to dump its debug output to (the debug section of the convert settings) and use the html you find there (but probably not the "debug-raw" html) for your structure detection criteria.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, tried that, now it seems the chapters are defined by:

<div class="mbp_pagebreak"/><blockquote class="calibre_24"><blockquote class="calibre_25"><font size="5">CHAPTER 1</font>
</blockquote></blockquote>

But I've tried setting Structure Detection to "div", "class" and "mbp_pagebreak" as well as "blockquote", "class" and "calibre_24", still no luck.

I also tried just leaving tag as * and attribute blank, and value as "calibre_24" (also tried "calibre_25", still nothing
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will <blockquote class="calibre_25"><font size="5"> uniquely isolate all (and only) the chapters headings? You really need to find something that drills right down to the actual chapter heading text (in this case "CHAPTER 1"). You seem to be stopping just shy of that.

You may be beyond what the "Wizard" XPath expression builder can create automatically for you. Check out that XPath tutorial link that can be found on the Wizard dialog. It will help if you need to craft more complex expressions by hand.

Perhaps something like:
Code:
//h:blockquote/h:font[re:test(., 'chapter', 'i')]
Which will match all font tags inside of blockquote tags whose contents contain the word "chapter".

EDIT: also check some of the HTML in the various conversion stages (sub-folders) inside that debug folder if you can't get that expression to work. I'm not entirely sure at which stage of the conversion that XPath expression search will take place. And you may need to check the "Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents" checkbox, also.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-25-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Ok, tried that, now it seems the chapters are defined by:

<div class="mbp_pagebreak"/><blockquote class="calibre_24"><blockquote class="calibre_25"><font size="5">CHAPTER 1</font>
</blockquote></blockquote>
Try:

Code:
//*[re:test(., 'CHAPTER ')]
Note there is no ",'i'" because you want to match just all the capital letter case. If this gives false positives, you can add that CHAPTER is start of an element, "^", and the chapter number, perhaps:

Code:
//*[re:test(., '^CHAPTER [1-9]')]
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
gers1978
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If this gives false positives, you can add that CHAPTER is start of an element, "^", and the chapter number, perhaps:

Code:
//*[re:test(., '^CHAPTER [1-9]')]
This worked great, except for 1 thing - all chapters appear in the TOC 3 times! Like this:

Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 2
Chapter 2

etc...
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
gers1978
Addict

I got it to work with:

Code:
//h:blockquote/h:font[re:test(., 'CHAPTER', 'i')]
in "Structure Detection > Detect Chapters at"

but it doesn't actually add chapter markers to the book, it just creates a correct TOC

EDIT: actually I think it's working, I was using Kindle Previewer to check it and I don't think I was scrolled all the way to the bottom where the chapter markers are displayed!

Last edited by gers1978; 06-26-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
EDIT: actually I think it's working, I was using Kindle Previewer to check it and I don't think I was scrolled all the way to the bottom where the chapter markers are displayed!
If you can click on the "NCX View" button in Kindle Previewer and see the correct list of chapters (and double click on them to go to that point in the book) then the chapter markers are there.

But yes, the entire emulated Kindle "screen" of the Kindle Previewer doesn't fit on my monitor either, so you will have to scroll down to see the progress bar with the chapter markers on it.