Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Help with converting PRC files

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was a way to convert prc files for the ebookwise 1150. I purchased a book from booksonboard.com and it was in the prc format. I figured, not a problem, I will just use BookDesigner to convert it. WRONG. Okay, I'll use ABCpalm to convert it. WRONG, nothing but garbage characters. I'm at a loss. If anyone is able to help me out that would be great.

Thanks
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's a DRM-protected book I'm afraid you're out of luck.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess there is no way to strip the DRM off the file then?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What format is the book?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

PRC is the format. I'm pretty sure it's protected as well.
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
PRC is the format. I'm pretty sure it's protected as well.
PRC is not an eBook format. It's a Palm resource file - basically a generic container for information normally used on a Palm handheld.

Odds are that it's a Mobipocket eBook since they frequently misuse the PRC extension.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It could be either MobiPocket or eReader - that's why I asked.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If this PRC file has DRM, then no, none of the conversion tools you have been trying will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Virag
Virag began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq handheld, laptop, Sony prs 505, iPhone
I'm new to this forum. May I ask how you can tell if it has drm or not? Thanks.
Virag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you bought a PRC file from Books on Board, then it's a Mobipocket file. I'm guessing from the comments above, that's not always true, but it is from an ebook source.

You'll want to check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20341
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virag View Post
May I ask how you can tell if it has drm or not?
For a Mobipocket ebook: open it in Windows MobiPocket Reader, select properties and summary tab, then find the encryption label.

The vast majority of MOBI (PRC) ebooks you buy have DRM (i.e. are encrypted). The python script mobidedrm can strip the DRM from MOBI files though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For a Mobipocket ebook: open it in Windows MobiPocket Reader, select properties and summary tab, then find the encryption label.

The vast majority of MOBI (PRC) ebooks you buy have DRM (i.e. are encrypted). The python script mobidedrm can strip the DRM from MOBI files though.
Then, when it's been de-DRM'ed, you can use Mobi2IMP to convert the .prc to .imp!

If the .prc was compressed using high compression (HuffDic), then Mobi2IMP won't work and you would need to first use mobi2oeb.exe from the calibre software suite for the Sony ebook readers. Then, using eBook Publisher, see if it can produce your .imp after loading the .opf created by mobi2oeb. If you need help here, just post how far you got and we will get you through it.

Be sure to check our IMP software wiki for more conversion programs dealing with the .imp format!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Virag
Virag began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq handheld, laptop, Sony prs 505, iPhone
Thank you folks, each of these replies was helpful
Virag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
tlstringfellow
tlstringfellow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there a way to use MobiDeDRM without finding the PID number of my Kindle. I am only interested in editing the Metadata on some of my Mobipocket books so that they display correctly. I have been using Calibre, but it will not convert all of my Mobipocket books because some of them have DRM.
tlstringfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlstringfellow View Post
I am only interested in editing the Metadata on some of my Mobipocket books so that they display correctly.
I was under the impression that Calibre will now edit the metadata of DRMed MOBI/AZW ebooks. In any case, MobiPerl definitely can. See the Visual Kindle Guide for more details. On a Windows PC, there are pre-built binarys so you don't need to install Perl and there is also Mobi2Mobi v0.13 - GUI for Mobiperl tools.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote