Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The Green Thing

The Green Thing

At the checkout at the supermarket the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her

own bags in future because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologised to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The checkout girl responded, "That's the problem today. Your generation did not care enough

to save our environment."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the shop. They sent

them back to the factory to be washed and sterilised and refilled, so it could use the same

bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every shop and office building.

We walked to the grocer’s and didn't climb into a car every time we went to the shop.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We

dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up electricity. Wind and

solar power really did dry the clothes.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing

(and they walked to school).

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had

a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a bus.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to

do everything for us.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle

every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new

pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor

just because the blade became blunt.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because

we didn't have the green thing back then?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
To add to this:

We had electrical devices that could be repaired at a reasonable price instead of electrical devices that we throw away because it's less expensive to buy a new one than get the old one repaired...if it is even possible.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
True enough. But was it our intention to not have those things out of a sense of conservation? I think if we had had disposable diapers and large screen televisions available to us, we would have probably jumped at them. But a little austerity would be really nice right now. I just don't see it aside from a few lightbulbs and Priuses. Still getting what you had when we were really wasteful is hardly austerity.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Feel free to go back if you want me I'm sticking with my Kobo.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yup! I remember those days fondly, and am REALLY glad they're gone!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Feel free to go back if you want me I'm sticking with my Kobo.
I'll see your Kobo Touch (at my local electronics store) and I'll raise you a Sony PRS-T1!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I was chatting with a guy I met at the puppy park yesterday, as it turned out we had both spent a great deal of time at NATO missile sites in Germany. he was a mechanic, and I would have to go out to maintain communications systems. we were sharing tales of VERY LONG periods of time while on alert playing game after game of hearts and/or spades. he speculated that now with handheld devices that may have changed. that kind of made me sad as there was a great deal of bonding and friendships made over these marathon sessions
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
GeoffC: while being partly wrong
(e.g. on old electrical equipment: I bet the old TVs/radios used up multitudes of the power needed to power todays big ones) you are fully right on the rest - why the hell aren't ther no more refillable milk bottles etc?

Solitaire1: SO true... and even if the item in question is in a way defective which could be easily fixed by oneself you cannot since the manufacturers now do their best to assure you cannot open the bluddy housing without their own damn very special leverage tools and screwdrivers :facepalm:
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I was chatting with a guy I met at the puppy park yesterday, as it turned out we had both spent a great deal of time at NATO missile sites in Germany. he was a mechanic, and I would have to go out to maintain communications systems. we were sharing tales of VERY LONG periods of time while on alert playing game after game of hearts and/or spades. he speculated that now with handheld devices that may have changed. that kind of made me sad as there was a great deal of bonding and friendships made over these marathon sessions
altough it spares a lot of shuffling time to play cardgames with things like a handheld, I still keep sets of cards in my "when things f* up box"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I'll see your Kobo Touch (at my local electronics store) and I'll raise you a Sony PRS-T1!
Huh? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Huh? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
Sorry, I was trying to make a poker reference.

[See reference fall flat...and hit the ground hard]

[Imitating Emily Litella] Nevermind.